ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Albert may not be done here ! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281668)

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-22-2014 12:09 PM

Albert may not be done here !

Branden Albert, Chiefs hoping to work out contract0By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

Published: Feb. 22, 2014 at 12:08 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Despite rampant speculation to the contrary, the Kansas City Chiefs have not decided to let left tackle Branden Albert walk in free agency.

General manager John Dorsey told NFL Media's Steve Wyche on Friday that the Chiefs are still hoping to work out a deal for Albert before free agency begins in March.

Dorsey declined to say if the franchise tag would be an option should the sides fail to reach an accord. Because he was tagged last year, Albert would merit a 120 percent raise on his $9.828 million contract from 2013.

More proof that Albert remains in the team's plans? Dorsey told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine on Friday that 2013 No. 1 overall draft pick Eric Fisher is still penciled in as a right tackle, not a left tackle.

Albert is one of this year's top 10 free agents. If he's kept off the market, tackle-needy teams such as the Arizona Cardinals will be disappointed.

As for quarterback Alex Smith, Dorsey confirmed to Wyche that an extension is on the agenda, but there is no rush to complete a deal.

Neither Albert nor Smith can be blamed for the Chiefs' late-season collapse. This offense scored 35 points in five of their last seven games, including four games with more than 40 points.

TimBone 02-22-2014 12:11 PM

I just don't see it happening. No way we can afford it if we want to shore up FS and WR.

kysirsoze 02-22-2014 12:11 PM

I'm still thinking no.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-22-2014 12:13 PM

Good thing for him he didn't get traded to the Fins. Frat Albert would be hard to live down.

Rausch 02-22-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10446737)
I just don't see it happening. No way we can afford it if we want to shore up FS and WR.

The only way this happens is if he eats $3it like T. Jax did...

Titty Meat 02-22-2014 12:15 PM

He's done here.

O.city 02-22-2014 12:16 PM

Salary cap is at 132. I wouldn't be so sure he's gone

Rausch 02-22-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10446750)
Salary cap is at 132. I wouldn't be so sure he's gone

He's gone...

Mr. Christopher 02-22-2014 12:19 PM

I'd be willing to bet this is nothing more than a PR stunt maybe to cause another team to overpay for his services. I don't know why they would do that, but I just don't see Albert coming back A), with our cap issues, B) with Albert's history with the team so far. I don't think there's any loyalty there, and I don't see him helping them out with a "hometown discount."

Rausch 02-22-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Christopher (Post 10446757)
I don't think there's any loyalty there, and I don't see him helping them out with a "hometown discount."

Since FA started there never has been and never will be a "hometown discount."

jspchief 02-22-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybone McTimmerson (Post 10446737)

Wanting and doing are not the same thing.

What good is gained by shoring up free safety if they create a hole at LT in the process? What spot is tougher to fill with competent play?

O.city 02-22-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10446764)

What good is gained by shoring up free safety if they create a hole at LT in the process? What spot is tougher to fill with competent play?

I think we saw we can get competent, not necessarily great but competent lt play in house.

FS which in this scheme seems to be of uber importance, we don't have shit on the roster.

mcaj22 02-22-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

we win that playoff game with any other FS not named Kendrick Lewis. that's what good is gained.

Rausch 02-22-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Our super-duper "swing Tackle" was just fine.

He actually did appear solid at LT and RT.

Lewis is done and apparently forever injured...

Hoover 02-22-2014 12:31 PM

We don't need a FA WR people. That's why there is a draft.

#1 FA priority is a FS because we can't solve that in Free Agency
#2 OG/Oline depth
Then maybe McCluster or a FA WR