ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Minnesota man who killed teens in break-in charged with murder (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267133)

Saul Good 02-07-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9384388)
What if he had killed them with only one shot? So you don't agree with protecting yourself from a burglar?

That's different. If he had killed them in self defense, no problem. He didn't, though. This was an execution. His safety was not in danger when he put the gun to her head; at least it wasn't based on what I've read here.

WhiteWhale 02-07-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9384388)
What if he had killed them with only one shot? So you don't agree with protecting yourself from a burglar?

Shooting an invader who poses a possible threat is not the same as shooting a defenseless person.

You need to accept it especially if you own a gun. If you shoot a defenseless person, you will be charged with murder. You can't 'defend' yourself from a defenseless person.

You tie them up and call police. They were wounded kids. He knew what he did.

If a guy starts a fight with me, I win, and then at the end I jump on his back and break his neck... that's murder. People don't seem to understand how self defense works... it's not just an excuse. You have to be defending yourself.

Rausch 02-07-2013 09:20 AM

They got what they deserved.

In time he will as well...

ct 02-07-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9157420)
Everybody involved here in this one is wrong. Kids are wrong for breaking and entering. The home owner was wrong for executing two teenagers. He could have stopped them without killing them.

this.

Omaha 02-07-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9157564)
The outcome is good - two less criminals in the world - but he probably could've handled it a little better.

Likely THREE less criminals.

WV 02-07-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9384412)
That's different. If he had killed them in self defense, no problem. He didn't, though. This was an execution. His safety was not in danger when he put the gun to her head; at least it wasn't based on what I've read here.

You answered my first question though. I agree his execution style killing was over the top, but had he happened to kill them with his first volley I would have been fine with that being that they broke into his house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9384423)
Shooting an invader who poses a possible threat is not the same as shooting a defenseless person.

You need to accept it especially if you own a gun. If you shoot a defenseless person, you will be charged with murder. You can't 'defend' yourself from a defenseless person.

You tie them up and call police. They were wounded kids. He knew what he did.

If a guy starts a fight with me, I win, and then at the end I jump on his back and break his neck... that's murder. People don't seem to understand how self defense works... it's not just an excuse. You have to be defending yourself.

I think you are agreeing with me. If someone breaks into my house, they are getting a lead injection whether they are armed or not. I have no idea if they are or aren't in that moment, but again I agree he took it too far after he had them down.

warpaint* 02-07-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9157432)
Good edit. I was about to explain it to you.

The executions ARE over the line.

Interesting when I read the headline to the thread I was afraid I was about to read about a legitimate self defense that was getting twisted into a murder charge but that is clearly not the case here.

I would have been perfectly fine w/ shooting each of them once to eliminate any threat and then calling the police immediately.

I also understand why he would be angry if he's been victimized by multiple break ins. But the way this dude reacted and the blatant disregard for two human lives is appalling.

WhiteWhale 02-07-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9384504)
I think you are agreeing with me. If someone breaks into my house, they are getting a lead injection whether they are armed or not. I have no idea if they are or aren't in that moment, but again I agree he took it too far after he had them down.

Yes, then we are agreed.

I'm not 'gun guy', but I'm in an area where owning a gun can save your life. I own one. I will shoot for the mass. If they die, that's their problem.

However if I shoot and do not kill, I'm not gonna walk up and say "Hasta la Vista baby!" before plugging them in the head. That's just ice cold murder.

Also, in my situation I'd prefer they live if the shots didn't kill them. They ended up being a couple of stupid kids. People do dipshit stuff like this, reform, and become quality members of society. I know a guy who did shit worse than breaking and entering (without getting caught) and now 14 years later he's a very decorated Army veteran.

Garcia Bronco 02-07-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9384373)
Then you disagree with the law.

Killing a defenseless person is murder. Always.

The whole 'defenseless' throws a wrench in the 'self defense' argument.

that's why it's best to empty the gun and not stop shooting.

kcfanXIII 02-07-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 9384314)
In Florida, there is a rule called the Castle Doctrine that says there is implied intent to inflict harm when someone breaks into your home. However, the use of deadly force is only justified if the homeowner's life was in danger of imminent great bodily harm or death. Once those teenagers hit the ground the imminent danger of great bodily harm or death ended.

castle doctrine varies from state to state. in missouri, you are not required to prove shit other than they were unlawfully in your home, there is no need to prove they are a threat, and there is no flight clause which means you are not required to flee if possible before deadly force is used. hell, in MO, castle doctrine extends to vehicles and places of employment as well.

Pitt Gorilla 02-07-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9384504)
You answered my first question though. I agree his execution style killing was over the top, but had he happened to kill them with his first volley I would have been fine with that being that they broke into his house.

it sounds like one might murder someone, drag them into one's home, and claim self defense.

Rausch 02-07-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9384631)
it sounds like one might murder someone, drag them into one's home, and claim self defense.

One could do so in Mo.

Just....saying...

Saul Good 02-07-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9384584)
castle doctrine varies from state to state. in missouri, you are not required to prove shit other than they were unlawfully in your home, there is no need to prove they are a threat, and there is no flight clause which means you are not required to flee if possible before deadly force is used. hell, in MO, castle doctrine extends to vehicles and places of employment as well.

Still doesn't allow you to do what this guy did.

kcfanXIII 02-07-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9384677)
Still doesn't allow you to do what this guy did.

not saying it did. just explaining to someone that lots of states have varied versions of castle doctrine.

tooge 02-07-2013 11:24 AM

Two druggie thief teenagers are dead because they broke into a guys house who had a gun. That's it. End of story. They are dead. It doesn't matter if they would have died with the first shot or later, they are dead.

So the guy doesn't pump em full of lead, they recover, they sue his ass and everyone believes the cute little teenagers and he goes off to jail for people with no eyes. That not good either.