ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Chiefs fan or not??? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=6338)

ct 09-01-2000 08:12 AM

What makes a true Chiefs fan? One who will support them no matter what? One who will unrealistically have hope for them? Oris it the pessimistic take the team for face value fan. One who knows that the team has made mistakes and most likely won't win the games? I am the proverbial homer, but sometimes I really take a beating from the jack a$$es at work for supporting my team even though they haven't made the playoffs or won a Superbowl in a while. Obviously there is no right answer, just wanted some opinions.

shakesthecat 09-01-2000 08:22 AM

Bishop_74-

Taking a beating from the jacka$$es and still supporting your team is what makes you a fan.

A Chiefs fan is anyone who supports the team. That includes rabid Homers like the Chaplain and pessimistic folks like the Cannibal [no offense inteded, Jeff]. I support the team even though I think the Three Stooges are inept, Grbac is not starting material and Carl sucks at evaluating "playmakers."

I don't like all the decisions that are made. I don't think they will win every game. I am sometimes disgusted with they way they play. I was even ashamed of them a couple of times in '98.

But they are still my team.

xoxo~
gaz
bleeds red & pees gold.<BR>

KC Jones 09-01-2000 08:33 AM

This is easy IMO..........

A Chiefs fan is someone who watches, reads about, writes about, posts on the BB of, and follows in every way, the Chiefs regardless of the way in which they are performing.

I hate when someone voices a negative opinion of some aspect of the team, and immediately the 'real' fans bash them and tell them to find another team. If they didn't care about the Chiefs, they wouldn't be talking about them. Optimism/pessimism for the upcoming season has nothing to do with fan-dom IMO. However, ignoring the team if they do get mired in mediocrity is a give-away.

Stuckinbama 09-01-2000 08:34 AM

Bishop:

The TRUE chiefs fan.....hmmmmm......

Well to me, he can fit either of those catagories. For example, you could name a few people on this board that haven't had an encouraging public thought about the Chiefs for years maybe. Negative, skeptical and down right morose about players, coaches, GMs, other "homer fans, etc. But I bet everyone of them, when the ball comes off the tee each Sunday for the first time, are on the edge of their seats hoping, praying and pulling with all of their might for a victory. Doesn't matter what they say or do during the week or how they might hide their hopes and dreams, down deep in their heart of hearts, they love the game and THEIR team. They might be a pie in the sky homer or a "sunovabeaches can't do nothin right" skeptic. Doesn't matter.

That IMO is a true fan.

B^2

Kurt Surber 09-01-2000 08:35 AM

I agree w/Gaz. There are different kinds of fans of the same team and they can have different perspectives. It is good to have that diversity.

I tend to think that it's better to avoid dwelling on the negative at all times. Obviously, the problems must be addressed and fixed quickly, but taking revelry in failure or defeatist attitude is not healthy, IMO.

AustinChief 09-01-2000 08:36 AM

Gaz, If your peeing gold, it means you may be dehydrated...you should drink more water...now onto the seriousness of the topic at hand. Gaz is right, IMO. True fans do not stop hoping, dreaming, screaming, fighting for a SB team...especially when you KNOW it will not happen ...at least this year. If the Chiefs make you jump for joy and scream in misery and you still have all your jerseys...your a fan.

I have never, ever jumped and screamed for joy as much as I did when Montana beat Elway in the two minute drill....AWSOME!!!

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

Lurker Brett 09-01-2000 09:49 AM

I use to wonder how the people who always seemed to have negative comments could call themselves fans...my view was that to be a fan you had to have undying loyalty and support every player no matter what...you could never say anything bad about your team...after spending time on this BB with other Chiefs fans...I've come to realize that no matter what we say, good or bad, we all want the same thing...a SB...the people who bash the players just want whats best for the team...the people who support the players just want whats best for the team...

Most of us sat through the 70s and 80s and remained fans and if we remained fans during that time...it made us better fans now...win, lose or draw...idiocy or brilliance..fans are there for their team...

------------------
joe
"Sex on television can't hurt you... unless you fall off."

Warrior5 09-02-2000 09:54 AM

The one advantage some of us younger kids have is that we did not have to sit through the worst of times. I am a Chiefs fan by family; however, while some in the family have now renounced the Chiefs publicly I will never be ashamed to admit that I will always support them. Yeah, I may disagree with a lot of the moves they make, I may get upset with the players, and I am a great armchair coach, but no matter what they do I will support them. What part of this makes me a fan? None!!! What makes me a fan is that I live and die for Sunday, once that ball gets kicked it is all I care about. If they win I am happy, lose I am sad. That is what makes me a fan, the fact that I do this on Sunday.

I hope you can understand about the closet fans out there too.

Duck Dog 09-02-2000 09:59 AM

Always a Chiefs fan. My team right or wrong. But I'm not a homer because I'm don't live in denial... When we screw up or make bad moves, then we get what we deserve...

ColoradoChief 09-02-2000 10:17 AM

No offense taken Gaz.

I know many fans don’t like my honest takes on some aspects of the team. I am sorry for that, but just because I am a fan of the team doesn’t mean I can’t critic some the moves management makes.

What I don’t like is when people accuse me of just looking at the negative side of things [when it’s a blatantly false statement] and then say I’m not a fan… EVEN THOUGH as other’s have pointed out, I wouldn’t be posting on this board 24-7 if I wasn’t a fan. <BR>