ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs Defense...Fluke or For Real?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234203)

petegz28 09-26-2010 06:28 PM

Chiefs Defense...Fluke or For Real??

I say for real. How long does one need to go into the regular season before you call something legit?

Throughout the pre-season, despite the babblings of people like Kent Babb, the defense held teams to little points. Thus far in the regular season we have allowed a total of 38 points in 3 games. For the math challenged that is a whopping 12.67 points a game. Ok, it's really 12.66666666666667.

Tons of sacks? Nope save today against SF.
Tons of turnovers? Not a ton but improved from last year.

How is it getting done? Run defense and disciplined coverage. And they are doing it with 2 rookies in the secondary.

Teams are not running the ball against the Chiefs. The secondary inspite of a few rookie mistakes is not giving up the big play and forcing a ton of checkdowns and throw-aways.
And the most improved aspect of the defense this year, imo, is tackling. These guys are not just tackling they are hitting. They look like the Chiefs of old. Controlled Chaos is how I describe the defense right now.

Now granted we have not faced offensive powers except for the Chargers and it was on a rainy, sloppy field. But even then and even when it wasn't raining San Diego was not running on the Chiefs and were pressuring Rivers fairly regularly.

Today facing what Brian Billick called "the most respected RB in the NFL" in Frank Gore the Chiefs shut the door on him. Sf coming off a terrific game against the Saints had high hopes of picking on an overrated 2-0 team in the Chiefs and they found that maybe the Chiefs aren't quite so overrated? Especially on defense.

I say this defense if for real. I think we will see the sacks continue to come though sacks are not always as important as getting the QB to force a bad decision which can easily end up in the hands of Brandon Flowers.

DJ right now is playing at a levle that would put him up among the top LB's in the game today. Flowers is arguably one of the best CB's in the league.

The Bad Guy 09-26-2010 06:36 PM

They have an insanely established coordinator.

They have talent defensively.

You have one or 2 fluke weeks. However, when you kick the shit out of an offense that has some big time players like the 49ers, there's no fluke.

Chiefs defense is playing lights out.

siberian khatru 09-26-2010 06:43 PM

For real.

In Romeo I trust.

Bane 09-26-2010 06:45 PM

Looks good so far.All I can say.

chiefzilla1501 09-26-2010 06:48 PM

The defense is most definitely for real.

I still think our lack of a pass rusher is going to be the difference in many of our games. I think our run D is going to be solid all year long.

I think we end the season in the top 15. And that's perfectly fine with me. I also think that against teams like Indy and Houston with outstanding passing attacks, I could see us playing much more of a bend-dont-break defense. We'll give up quite a few yards, but I think it's very possible we can keep teams like that to a respectable point total.

Red Dawg 09-26-2010 06:48 PM

Romey has pulled nothing short of a miracle so far. This defense was crap last season and now we have 3 rookies in the secondary and all of a sudden Dorsey and DJ look like bad asses. This guys kicked ass.

Terribilis 09-26-2010 06:49 PM

they are making tackles. amazing what that alone does for a defense.

Reaper16 09-26-2010 06:51 PM

I'm tempted to say "for real." They might return back to the mean as teams learn how to gameplay against them. But they won't suck this season. I have real confidence in Romeo's ability to coach this defensive line.

DeezNutz 09-26-2010 06:54 PM

It's "real," and this isn't arguable.

1. Legit coordinator.
2. Talent at all levels:
A. Dorsey has been beastly. Smith looks very promising.
B. Hali has continued to be a nice player, but DJ has elevated his game. And we're better with Belcher in the middle.
C. Flowers has continued to ascend, and our safety play, while exposed in games 1 and 2, will indeed be better. Finally, Carr continues to be an underrated player.

Overall, though, it's impossible to overstate the importance of 1.

Basileus777 09-26-2010 06:56 PM

I don't think they are quite as good as they've looked so far. We've played two shitty teams and a one-dimensional Chargers offense that can't run the ball. There is no doubt that they are vastly improved, but I need to see how they hold up against the Colts and Texans before I crown them.

The 49ers have a poor oline, a bad QB, no legit receivers and no weapons in the passing game outside of a TE that runs a lot of seam routes (and has bad hands).

threebag 09-26-2010 06:58 PM

All I know now is I am excited about our next games again.

dirk digler 09-26-2010 06:59 PM

Repost

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232599

:D

keg in kc 09-26-2010 07:04 PM

They're for real in terms of improved, but I'd be surprised if they're quite as improved statistically at year's end as they are after three games. I think they'll fall back towards the middle of the pack. Which, if today's offensive play was more of an indication of what they're capable of doing, shouldn't hurt the team very much as far as the overall picture goes.

They're very, very young, and they'll probably look it a few more times this year...

Although it was a good sign that there weren't any obvious rookie safety breakdowns today.

REDHOTGTO 09-26-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 7041224)
All I know now is I am excited about our next games again.

no shit, i'm back to being excited on sundays again !!!

Hammock Parties 09-26-2010 07:06 PM

We're not just playing good defense.

We're playing great defense.

Big difference.

I was just browsing some stats and our two middle linebackers lead the team in tackles. That's a very good sign. Seems like in years past it was always a safety leading the Chiefs in tackles.