ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Did we see the changing of the guard? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123883)

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2005 08:20 AM

Did we see the changing of the guard?

I am as big a fan of Priest Holmes as anyone can be. He has been the man over and over again. He has my undying love and appreciation forever. He may well be my favorite Chief of all time.

But was I the only one with a jaw on the floor and an almost insane yearning to see LJ carry the ball more and Priest less as the game went on? Damn... that dude can flat ****ing play. Unbelievable. He made me think MVP candidate. He made me have memory flashes of the greatest RB's to ever play. No, I'm not saying he is one of the greatest ever... yet. But what could he do if he was the full time back???

I don't want to see Priest replaced. But maybe replaced as the starter? I know they are gonna share the workload... but I'm thinking it might be better for Larry to get 2/3rds of the carries instead of Priest...?

Scorp 09-12-2005 08:26 AM

While I think on one hand Johnson should start over priest and also have more touches, I really like this kid angry. I am not sure I would mess with too much right now. I think an angry Johnson is better right now than a happy Johnson.

morphius 09-12-2005 08:27 AM

The way I see it right now, if we get a 17 point lead, up the carriest to Johnson and let Priest rest a bit so that he is there for us at the end of the season.

This tandem is going to be fun to watch.

Sam 09-12-2005 08:27 AM

I love Priest but, I'll put money on LJ starting before the year is out.

teedubya 09-12-2005 08:28 AM

I think we got the right combination... use LJ sparingly enough to keep him angry and hungry... and use him enough to punish the other team, and keep Priest fresh, so that teams arent gunning to knock him out of the game [which has been teh case the past 3 years.]

Saulbadguy 09-12-2005 08:30 AM

I like the way we are doing it now. 1-2 punch. Make teams gameplan for both backs.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2005 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Chi3fs
I think we got the right combination... use LJ sparingly enough to keep him angry and hungry... and use him enough to punish the other team, and keep Priest fresh, so that teams arent gunning to knock him out of the game [which has been teh case the past 3 years.]

Good point... I'm not sure opposing defenses will even want Priest out of the game now... :D

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I like the way we are doing it now. 1-2 punch. Make teams gameplan for both backs.

I wasn't suggesting a change in the 1-2 punch. Only asking if Larry should get more carries.

Tinlar 09-12-2005 08:34 AM

My side hurts when I think about it...

We've kept Priest as a starter over Larry so long that when he hits the market I think he's gone.

I'm not sure how we could have better played this as a team but if giving him the start now keeps him as our long term RB solution then give the boy the start.

Priest has thought seriously about retirement at least once already. Given that he has to understand that the team need to protect its future. Hell, the most comparable back to priest, Marshall Faulk, willing took a back seat to their furture this year. It is probably time for priest to start considering doing the same.

NewChief 09-12-2005 08:35 AM

This is callous, but my feelings are to ride Priest as long as wel can. Wear him out. Keep giving LJ plenty of carries, but continue to start Priest and let him workhorse it... as long as Priest continues to have some measure of success that is. If he totally drops off in production, then consider LJ. Keep LJ fresh for later in the season.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2005 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinlar
My side hurts when I think about it...

We've kept Priest as a starter over Larry so long that when he hits the market I think he's gone.

I'm not sure how we could have better played this as a team but if giving him the start now keeps him as our long term RB solution then give the boy the start.

Priest has thought seriously about retirement at least once already. Given that he has to understand that the team need to protect its future. Hell, the most comparable back to priest, Marshall Faulk, willing took a back seat to their furture this year. It is probably time for priest to start considering doing the same.

How long is Larry signed anyway?

Great sig line too btw... ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-12-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief
This is callous, but my feelings are to ride Priest as long as wel can. Wear him out. Keep giving LJ plenty of carries, but continue to start Priest and let him workhorse it... as long as Priest continues to have some measure of success that is. If he totally drops off in production, then consider LJ. Keep LJ fresh for later in the season.

why is that callous?

the Talking Can 09-12-2005 08:39 AM

we've got them trying to out-do each other....it's a perfect situation

dirk digler 09-12-2005 08:41 AM

I think it is quite apparent that LJ needs to be the starter with Priest providing the change of pace.

I hate to quote TJ but "Priest has lost his burst"

NewChief 09-12-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
why is that callous?

Well, because it's built upon the supposition that we're going to wear Priest out and if someone is going to get worn out and injured from wear, I'd rather it be Priest than LJ at this point.