ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports chicago (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275459)

seclark 08-20-2013 11:06 AM

chicago

so, the wife is running in the Chicago marathon in October. I've only been there once and swore i'd never drive there again...not familiar w/the area at all.

we're considering taking Amtrak up. staying at the Hilton Chicago, which looks like it's pretty much right at the start/finish. according to google, it's 1.2 miles from the Amtrak station. wife says we can walk it to the hotel and back when we head home.

to those who are familiar w/the area, is this a good idea, or do you suggest we take a cab? the walk doesn't bother me as long as it's safe. I mean, she runs...I don't.

any answers/suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
sec
(just a dumb country boy that doesn't get away from home very often)

Frazod 08-20-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9901544)
so, the wife is running in the Chicago marathon in October. I've only been there once and swore i'd never drive there again...not familiar w/the area at all.

we're considering taking Amtrak up. staying at the Hilton Chicago, which looks like it's pretty much right at the start/finish. according to google, it's 1.2 miles from the Amtrak station. wife says we can walk it to the hotel and back when we head home.

to those who are familiar w/the area, is this a good idea, or do you suggest we take a cab? the walk doesn't bother me as long as it's safe. I mean, she runs...I don't.

any answers/suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,
sec
(just a dumb country boy that doesn't get away from home very often)

My best friend takes Amtrak up from Kirksville (LaPlata) often. Their service is much better now that it has been in the past.

You'll definitely want to cab it, though. 1.2 miles = 12 blocks of hauling luggage. That would suck.

Other than that, doesn't sound like a bad idea. I hate driving up here and have been used to it for decades.

Rain Man 08-20-2013 11:10 AM

seclark likes fast women.

I have nothing more to contribute.

Dayze 08-20-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9901556)

LMAO

seclark 08-20-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9901555)
My best friend takes Amtrak up from Kirksville (LaPlata) often. Their service is much better now that it has been in the past.

You'll definitely want to cab it, though. 1.2 miles = 12 blocks of hauling luggage. That would suck.

Other than that, doesn't sound like a bad idea. I hate driving up here and have been used to it for decades.

well, to be honest, all i'm carrying fits in a backpack. she's got all her shit in the suitcase and is the health fruitcake. if she can run 26.2 mi, surely she ought to be able to pull a suitcase on rollers for 1.2, but I see your point.

she's getting prices to ride up from quincy, but I don't know why...we're only 5miles from the laplata Amtrak station. I guess i'll mention it to her.

thanks,
sec

FlaChief58 08-20-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9901555)

1.2 miles in Chicago = 2.75 hours = $200. Take the rail

Chiefshrink 08-20-2013 11:20 AM

Please be careful where you go. There have been over 500 murders this year and Rahm doesn't give a shit either. Granted the majority are gang murders but they are getting very bold and starting to move this gang crap outside of the hoods now.

BlackHelicopters 08-20-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Or is it women with endurance?

seclark 08-20-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

she's not fast at everything. it took her over an hour to wash my pickup sunday. when I mentioned to her she missed a spot, she told me to go **** myself.
sec

SLAG 08-20-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9901577)
Please be careful where you go. There have been over 500 murders this year and Rahm doesn't give a shit either. Granted the majority are gang murders but they are getting very bold and starting to move this gang crap outside of the hoods now.

Union Station and the area's he is referring to, they will be fine

That is all business / tourist area - the crime that goes on down there isn't murder

Nickel D 08-20-2013 11:44 AM

Chicago Marathon = Sunday, October 13th, 2013 = Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs = antifreeze

seclark 08-20-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickel D (Post 9901639)
Chicago Marathon = Sunday, October 13th, 2013 = Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs = antifreeze

shit:mad:
sec

Frazod 08-20-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9901660)
sec

You could go here to watch the game while Mrs. seclark is jogging. :)

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/

Bearcat and I have had lunch here before. They might have enough TVs to air multiple games.

FlaChief58 08-20-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 9901660)
sec

If only there were a way to do both...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XtuGXO6d4l8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seclark 08-20-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9901670)
You could go here to watch the game while Mrs. seclark is jogging. :)

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/

Bearcat and I have had lunch here before. They might have enough TVs to air multiple games.

sweet...that's a 16 minute walk from the hotel. son and his wife(who is also running) are going too, but spending the week due to a meeting she has. i'm starting to form a plan.
sec