ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs How many years left for our best players? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268836)

scho63 01-13-2013 10:27 AM

How many years left for our best players?

I know we are a very young team overall but the idea of "rebuilding" again that could take 3-4 years scares the shit out of me. I am impatient after 43 years of waiting for a SB appearance and 20 years for a playoff win.

I would hate to have our best players fizzle out in the prime of their careers. These are the only guys I care about at this point as superstars and I didn't include Eric Berry or Justin Houston due to their youth

Any guesstimates?

Brandon Flowers
Derrick Johnson
Tamba Hali
Brandon Albert
Jamaal Charles
Dwayne Bowe
Dustin Colquitt

:hmmm:

saphojunkie 01-13-2013 10:28 AM

I have a feeling our best players are about to start getting drafted.

DJ's left nut 01-13-2013 10:32 AM

I've said this before, but we were a very young team when Scooter took over.

We aren't any more. Most of our best players are in their primes or exiting them. There are only 2 guys on this roster that I see has having much room left for growth and the potential to be Pro-Bowl caliber players - Eric Berry and Dontari Poe.

Hali's already out of his prime and DJ's only a year or 2 behind that. Charles probably 3-4, Flowers and Bowe maybe 4-5 (though Flowers will probably start to decline sooner than that).

This isn't a 'young' team anymore. Scott Pioli wasted 4 years of some great players careers.

threebag 01-13-2013 10:33 AM

Five to seven years

OnTheWarpath15 01-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9312915)
I have a feeling our best players are about to start getting drafted.

This.

OnTheWarpath15 01-13-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9312929)

We aren't any more. Most of our best players are in their primes or exiting them. There are only 2 guys on this roster that I see has having much room left for growth and the potential to be Pro-Bowl caliber players - Eric Berry and Dontari Poe.

Hali's already out of his prime and DJ's only a year or 2 behind that. Charles probably 3-4, Flowers and Bowe maybe 4-5 (though Flowers will probably start to decline sooner than that).

This isn't a 'young' team anymore. Scott ***** wasted 4 years of some great players careers.

I would agree with this as well.

Rasputin 01-13-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9312929)

This isn't a 'young' team anymore. Scott ***** wasted 4 years of some great players careers.

I don't think we have seen the best out of Justin Houston. He gets a good LB coach and the sky is the limmet. We get a young QB like Geno Smith and the team becomes young again even with the older players mentioned. Those guys with Andy Reid will have something to play for. Ray Lewis isn't at his best and they are winning with the QB they picked from the draft.

tmax63 01-13-2013 10:42 AM

I didn't realize Tamba and DJ were 29 and 30 respectively. Time flies. I still would say that they both at their prime and barring injury, could maintain for 3-4 yrs before they start dropping off much. Especially with some coaching.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-13-2013 10:44 AM

No such thing as rebuilding in today's NFL. Hit on a QB THIS year and they can at least attempt a playoff run.

Rasputin 01-13-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9312968)
No such thing as rebuilding in today's NFL. Hit on a QB THIS year and they can at least attempt a playoff run.

I love it that the rookie QBs had so much success this year. I have always hated the term "ride the pine" ****ing stupid. You learn how to play, you develop by PLAYING the game.

You don't know what you got untill you find out.

milkman 01-13-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9312958)
I don't think we have seen the best out of Justin Houston. He gets a good LB coach and the sky is the limmet. We get a young QB like Geno Smith and the team becomes young again even with the older players mentioned. Those guys with Andy Reid will have something to play for. Ray Lewis isn't at his best and they are winning with the QB they picked from the draft.

To this point, it appears that Gary Gibbs is remaning on staff as the LB coach.

But I agree that Houston has outstanding potential.

I also agree with DJ's LN overall, otherwise.

Saccopoo 01-13-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9312985)
I love it that the rookie QBs had so much success this year. I have always hated the term "ride the pine" ****ing stupid. You learn how to play, you develop by PLAYING the game.

You don't know what you got untill you find out.

Geno's started for three years in two different systems. He designed and called his own plays as a Parade All-American as a junior and senior in high school.

"Riding the pine" with that much experience, especially considering and adding the purported QB coaching capabilities of Andy Reid, would be plain stupid.

Draft Geno, get him inked prior to the draft and get him in the film room ASAP. Have someone slip him the numbers and addresses to Dwayne Bowe, Baldwin, Breaston, Charles, Moeaki and McCluster right ****ing now. "Impromptu" toss arounds. Have him rent the other side of the duplex from Rod Hudson.

Let's get this shit started right ****ing now.

ChiefGator 01-13-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9312987)
I also agree with DJ's LN overall, otherwise.

LN?

saphojunkie 01-13-2013 11:00 AM

Yeah, Justin Houston belongs on that list. In terms of age/ability, I think he's at the top of the heap. Maybe Eric Berry also, but Houston is a pro bowl caliber player who is only in his second year. With the right coaching and system, I think he is a 15 sack guy.

Sometimes I just pretend that we took Houston in the first round and Jon Baldwin in the third. Then I'm not as angry anymore.

Prison Bitch 01-13-2013 11:04 AM

We really don't have good players. we went 2-14. The "myth" that we have good players because of some weird pro bowl voting kink is still a myth. Our team sucked. Watching those games last night, I was blown away by how far away we are from even competing with them. (We know this already since we went 0-3 vs them this year as it was)