ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Best BBQ in KC to take New Orleans friends? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239018)

kcconnie 12-25-2010 11:46 PM

Best BBQ in KC to take New Orleans friends?

Need to know the best BBQ place in KC. I was born and raised there but have been gone over 20 years. Flying in with some friends from New Orleans for the Raiders game and want to show them how it's done in the Midwest. We're staying down at Crown Center so would prefer something not too terribly far away. These people are used to some really good food, but I have no doubt we can do better! Thanks!!

Phobia 12-25-2010 11:49 PM

I'd pay some team to to cook some up for you and deliver it to the hotel. The backyard guys are a lot better bet than any of the "for profit" restaurants. If you're bringing in folks from the best culinary vein in North America, you have to be sure.

kcconnie 12-25-2010 11:54 PM

That's kind of what I was afraid of.....They may not know that football is supposed to be played outside but they sure know their food!

Phobia 12-26-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcconnie (Post 7288166)
That's kind of what I was afraid of.....They may not know that football is supposed to be played outside but they sure know their food!

It's not much different than Cajun fare. The "for profit" places are going to serve diluted crap to make money and cater to a wider palate. Whereas if you drop in on Beudreaux and dip a spoon into his stock pot, you'll find some of the best jambalaya in the land.

GESteve 12-26-2010 12:44 AM

Geaux Chiefs

WebGem 12-26-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 7288279)
Geaux Chiefs

LOL

BigRedChief 12-26-2010 09:22 AM

I'd vouch for Phobia's grub. Mighty tasty.:thumb:

KCUnited 12-26-2010 09:56 AM

Oklahoma Jeaux's

Bwana 12-26-2010 10:07 AM

The Jackstack is not a bad choice. (Unless you can hire Phoibia to cook.)

DaFace 12-26-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 7288517)
The Jackstack is not a bad choice. (Unless you can hire Phoibia to cook.)

I'd agree with that.

Dartgod 12-26-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7288492)
Oklahoma Jeaux's

Well played! :thumb:

Kidd Lex 12-26-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7288492)
Oklahoma Jeaux's

Agreed. My buddies from New Orleans came up a few weeks ago for the Denver game and I took them to Oklahoma Joes and they were blown away. The Carolina is ridonkulous. They all agreed it was the best BBQ they had ever experienced.

BigOlChiefsfan 12-26-2010 12:41 PM

+3 for Okie Jeaux, esp. for NOLA folk.

Chiefs Rool 12-26-2010 12:42 PM

Oklahoma Joe's, get the burnt ends

Reaper16 12-26-2010 12:49 PM

While Phobia is right that someone who knows what they are doing can dedicate more carefully spent time tending to BBQ than a busy restaurant can, his denigration of even KC's great BBQ joints is damaging to local culture. It also has the stench of ego-placation.

Your friends will be amazed with OK Joe's or L.C.'s or Smokin' Guns or...

kcconnie 12-26-2010 03:46 PM

Do either of these places have TVs that typically show the games? OU is playing Sat night and would love to watch the game while eating good BBQ.

Phobia 12-26-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7289210)
While Phobia is right that someone who knows what they are doing can dedicate more carefully spent time tending to BBQ than a busy restaurant can, his denigration of even KC's great BBQ joints is damaging to local culture. It also has the stench of ego-placation.

I can see why you might say that. I like myself and I like my BBQ. I make a lot of things about me. But when I talk about backyard Q, it's not about me. There are tons of people who make better Q than me - people on this site. I don't rave about my Q. It's good and all my friends like it but I'm still relatively inexperienced on the grand scale. I'm still surprised every time somebody calls my creations the best they've had. I'm not fishing for a gig here. Already have a full smoker for next weekend.

Stewie 12-26-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7288154)
I'd pay some team to to cook some up for you and deliver it to the hotel. The backyard guys are a lot better bet than any of the "for profit" restaurants. If you're bringing in folks from the best culinary vein in North America, you have to be sure.

You're a legend in your own mind about how it's done. I've eaten your Q and it's OK, but nothing like the really good amateurs and pros can turn out.

Phobia 12-26-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7290948)
You're a legend in your own mind about how it's done.

Disagree
Quote:

I've eaten your Q and it's OK, but nothing like the really good amateurs and pros can turn out.
Agree

GESteve 12-26-2010 04:20 PM

Can't we all just get along. I love all types of BBQ there's no way anyone can say someones BBQ sucks, because 100 other people will love it. Just eat what you like and stop putting other people down........ Bitch

Phobia 12-26-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 7291118)
Can't we all just get along. I love all types of BBQ there's no way anyone can say someones BBQ sucks, because 100 other people will love it. Just eat what you like and stop putting other people down........ Bitch

He didn't say it sucks. He's right though. I deserve the criticism. They thought I was getting a big head. My friends from here love my stuff, which is surprising because I've only been doing it for about 5 years. I learn something new almost every time out. It's good but even I don't think it's the best ever. I can't believe Reaper even endorses my Q because he last had something I made about 4 years ago and they were riblets I made with an Asian rub I created. I didn't even like those. I do cook it how I like to eat it though, which is nothing like judges like to eat it which is why I don't enjoy competitions.

Reaper16 12-26-2010 04:49 PM

I'm KCBS certified, and in the few competitions I've judged in, the large majority of the barbecue didn't hold a candle to the barbecue coming out of L.C. Richardson's smoker. A small minority of competition BBQ though is the best you'll find anywhere.

So, I ultimately agree that you'll find the best-of-the-best not in a restaurant but in the backyard smoker of a master, I disagree that such a significant part of Kansas City culture has to be denigrated to make that point.

GESteve 12-26-2010 04:50 PM

My bad about the suck comment. My point still stands

flipped cracker 12-26-2010 05:03 PM

we're flying out for that game from california. i guess we'll have to go to oklahoma joe's.

Reaper16 12-26-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipped cracker (Post 7291354)
we're flying out for that game from california. i guess we'll have to go to oklahoma joe's.

That's where I'd send 'ya.

Thig Lyfe 12-26-2010 05:07 PM

KC Masterpiece or McDonald's (the McRib is back!)

GESteve 12-26-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7291276)
I'm KCBS certified, and in the few competitions I've judged in, the large majority of the barbecue didn't hold a candle to the barbecue coming out of L.C. Richardson's smoker. A small minority of competition BBQ though is the best you'll find anywhere.

So, I ultimately agree that you'll find the best-of-the-best not in a restaurant but in the backyard smoker of a master, I disagree that such a significant part of Kansas City culture has to be denigrated to make that point.

I totally agree with what you said. But you have to admit what some people consider good BBQ or any other food is subjective

Chiefs Rool 12-26-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 7291368)
KC Masterpiece or McDonald's (the McRib is back!)

if it's one or the other, go with the McRib :thumb:

doomy3 12-26-2010 05:14 PM

I love Arthur Bryant's more than the rest.

Reaper16 12-26-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 7291386)
I totally agree with what you said. But you have to admit what some people consider good BBQ or any other food is subjective

Yes. Sort of. Maybe. There are preferences and there are technical, more objective things to talk about where food is concerned. Balance, depth of flavor, texture, etc. are less subjective/more objective things that people can point to in discussion or assessment.

Al Bundy 12-26-2010 05:16 PM

Oklahoma Joe's.

GESteve 12-26-2010 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=Reaper16;7291425]Yes. Sort of. Maybe. There are preferences and there are technical, more objective things to talk about where food is concerned. Balance, depth of flavor, texture, etc. are less subjective/more objective things that people can point to in discussion or assessment.[/

Ok your the master, we all bow to your great BBQ knowledge

Phobia 12-26-2010 09:25 PM

I used to live relatively near LC's and have been there twice, different times of the week. I've had 4 or 5 different kinds of their meat. Their sausage was the best by far. Other than that, I vastly prefer any other kind of rib, brisket, or pulled pork from my smoker at my worst over what I paid good money for from that place. I couldn't even finish their ribs. I'll never pay money to sample LC's again. I've repeated this type of experience at BBQ restaurants all over this city and I'm really not incredibly particular. If it has a good texture, isn't tough, and I get some delicious smoke flavor I'm pretty happy. My most pleasant experiences have been at Jack Stack in Martin City. I'm frustrated paying 3x the money for what I can turn out in my sleep.

I know the restauranteers got there from making good Q at competition but what they serve in competition isn't the same thing they serve for money. The culture can be carried on by backyard guys if the restaurants want to keep serving crap. I really don't think I'm king-shit of the BBQ, I promise I don't. I do pretty well for how long I've been dabbling with it and I've never had anybody turn up their nose at my stuff.

ChiefsCountry 12-26-2010 09:26 PM

I'm a Gates fan personally.

Imon Yourside 12-26-2010 09:29 PM

Quicks Barbecue, best BBQ bar none! :)

Reaper16 12-26-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GESteve (Post 7291755)

Ok your the master, we all bow to your great BBQ knowledge

You're certainly taking that the wrong way. Have you ever eaten somewhere based on the recommendation of a friend or family member? If so, why would you ever do that if food is 100% subjective? Because it isn't 100% subjective; there is common ground to be reached, some objectivity involved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7293243)
I used to live relatively near LC's and have been there twice, different times of the week. I've had 4 or 5 different kinds of their meat. Their sausage was the best by far. Other than that, I vastly prefer any other kind of rib, brisket, or pulled pork from my smoker at my worst over what I paid good money for from that place. I couldn't even finish their ribs. I'll never pay money to sample LC's again. I've repeated this type of experience at BBQ restaurants all over this city and I'm really not incredibly particular. If it has a good texture, isn't tough, and I get some delicious smoke flavor I'm pretty happy. My most pleasant experiences have been at Jack Stack in Martin City. I'm frustrated paying 3x the money for what I can turn out in my sleep.

I know the restauranteers got there from making good Q at competition but what they serve in competition isn't the same thing they serve for money. The culture can be carried on by backyard guys if the restaurants want to keep serving crap. I really don't think I'm king-shit of the BBQ, I promise I don't. I do pretty well for how long I've been dabbling with it and I've never had anybody turn up their nose at my stuff.

I don't think that you think highly of yourself. When I said "stinks of ego-placation" I was just wanting to post something needlessly aggressive & off-base to offset your needlessly aggressive & off-base remarks against KC BBQ restaurants. You're either an enemy of Kansas City, or (more likely) your palate is, erm, not great.

Sounds like your white ass got "tourist'd" at L.C.'s, though. It happens there sometimes. It is the biggest detriment of the place.

Fairplay 12-26-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7290948)
You're a legend in your own mind about how it's done. I've eaten your Q and it's OK, but nothing like the really good amateurs and pros can turn out.

That line in the sand has just been crossed.

Phobia 12-26-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7293685)
I don't think that you think highly of yourself. When I said "stinks of ego-placation" I was just wanting to post something needlessly aggressive & off-base to offset your needlessly aggressive & off-base remarks against KC BBQ restaurants. You're either an enemy of Kansas City, or (more likely) your palate is, erm, not great.

Sounds like your white ass got "tourist'd" at L.C.'s, though. It happens there sometimes. It is the biggest detriment of the place.

No chance of that. I picked up my grub sporting work clothes, a pencil behind my ear and a tape measure on my belt. I understand a bad day, which is why I gave them twice.

I'm all about the community. I advocate for local restaurants all the time. Read my reviews. But I'm not going to be charitable. They have to earn it.

nstygma 12-27-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7293731)
No chance of that. I picked up my grub sporting work clothes, a pencil behind my ear and a tape measure on my belt. I understand a bad day, which is why I gave them twice.

I'm all about the community. I advocate for local restaurants all the time. Read my reviews. But I'm not going to be charitable. They have to earn it.

i agree with you. i find them to be inconsistent. last thing i had from there was a half chicken that looked like it was a starling.
i'd rather go right across the street to Big T's BBQ if that's the area i'm in

nstygma 12-27-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFGoldenKnight (Post 7291434)
Oklahoma Joe's.

why don't they do burnt ends?

Reaper16 12-27-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 7293947)
why don't they do burnt ends?

They only do them on Wednesday and Saturday.

burt 12-27-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7291425)
Yes. Sort of. Maybe. There are preferences and there are technical, more objective things to talk about where food is concerned. Balance, depth of flavor, texture, etc. are less subjective/more objective things that people can point to in discussion or assessment.

You forgot the objectivity of how moist it makes Reapers manjina......... Damn,, once again, you are too school for cool.......:shake:

Stewie 12-28-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 7293712)
That line in the sand has just been crossed.

I was making a point. He does good Q, but to suggest you can't get good Q in a restaurant is absurd. Our team won 2nd in brisket this year at a KCBS event. I kind of know what I'm talking about. There's good Q all over this city in restaurants.

When you need someone else to cook your Q you can't go wrong with Jack's Stack or OK Joe's. If you have a smoker, know what you're doing, get good cuts of meat and have the time... then go for it.

I was harsh on Phil, but he was out of bounds in his admonition of BBQ joints.

Donger 12-28-2010 04:10 PM

I went to Jack's Stack on Metcalf a few weeks ago, and it was bad. Just bad. And, it's the third time in a row that I've been disappointed there.

MOhillbilly 12-28-2010 04:14 PM

Hey Reaper. Meat plus fire.

Thats all it takes for good BBQ.

Stewie 12-28-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7298666)
I went to Jack's Stack on Metcalf a few weeks ago, and it was bad. Just bad. And, it's the third time in a row that I've been disappointed there.

Try the one in Aurora! It rocks!

Donger 12-28-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7298680)
Try the one in Aurora! It rocks!

LMAO

Yeah, I gave a presentation once in Denver and the group requested BBQ be brought in. It was just nasty. I've not found any decent BBQ here, but I admit that I haven't looked very hard.

DaFace 12-28-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7298685)
LMAO

Yeah, I gave a presentation once in Denver and the group requested BBQ be brought in. It was just nasty. I've not found any decent BBQ here, but I admit that I haven't looked very hard.

I believe you're down south, so this won't help you much, but there's a place up in Thornton called Backdraft BBQ that's pretty solid.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ci...74207494086879

Baby Lee 12-28-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7298666)

Went to the Freight House last year and it was just nirvana, we had a wide variety of meats, and it was literally an hour of "this is the best, . . NO!! this is the best, . . WAIT!! THIS is the best."

Went to MC last weekend and while it was good, it was just. . . there. The beans were great, but the meat was indistinguishable from any smoked meat available anywhere [including 'famed' baby back ribs]. The burnt ends ranged from dry and crispy to fatty and mushy. The fatty bits I could've replicated with a crockpot and a slow afternoon.

And I've never been a big fan of their sauce, but this time I swear it was tomato soup with a dash of chili powder.

That spicy sauce at OKJoe's OTOH, yowza!!!

Oxford 12-28-2010 04:47 PM

Okay I know you said BBQ, but if its close to Crowne Center you want...

Pierponts and Lydia's across the street in Union Station are good options for Steaks or Italian.

Donger 12-28-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7298716)
I believe you're down south, so this won't help you much, but there's a place up in Thornton called Backdraft BBQ that's pretty solid.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ci...74207494086879

Indeed, I am. But thanks for the recommendation.

I found the place, too: http://www.bbqdenver.com/

Donger 12-28-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 7298815)
Went to the Freight House last year and it was just nirvana, we had a wide variety of meats, and it was literally an hour of "this is the best, . . NO!! this is the best, . . WAIT!! THIS is the best."

Went to MC last weekend and while it was good, it was just. . . there. The beans were great, but the meat was indistinguishable from any smoked meat available anywhere [including 'famed' baby back ribs]. The burnt ends ranged from dry and crispy to fatty and mushy. The fatty bits I could've replicated with a crockpot and a slow afternoon.

And I've never been a big fan of their sauce, but this time I swear it was tomato soup with a dash of chili powder.

That spicy sauce at OKJoe's OTOH, yowza!!!

Yeah, I had the burnt ends and ham. Both were terrible. Looked like they had been under a heat lamp for hours. The beans were great, of course.

DomerNKC 12-28-2010 05:44 PM

I always vote for that little joint on 17th and Brooklyn, Arthur Bryants.

Phobia 12-28-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7298649)
I was making a point. He does good Q, but to suggest you can't get good Q in a restaurant is absurd. Our team won 2nd in brisket this year at a KCBS event. I kind of know what I'm talking about. There's good Q all over this city in restaurants.

When you need someone else to cook your Q you can't go wrong with Jack's Stack or OK Joe's. If you have a smoker, know what you're doing, get good cuts of meat and have the time... then go for it.

I was harsh on Phil, but he was out of bounds in his admonition of BBQ joints.

Not really - not if BBQ joints serve crap every time I go there. That's on them, not me. I'm not an unreasonable person. I don't expect "best ever" when I go to a restaurant. But I don't expect dried out jerky or rubber either.

Extra Point 12-28-2010 06:11 PM

I'd make your friends fly back to KC, just to have some good ole blues and Q at BB's. If you order but one thing, have the sausage.

Demonpenz 12-28-2010 06:51 PM

BB's Lawnside was my staple drinking place for years :( miss the joint need to get back over there!

kcconnie 12-28-2010 07:19 PM

FYI Oklahoma Joes is closed all weekend.... Unless Phobia invites us to tailgate at Arrowhead we're heading to JackStack. Thank you all so much for your responses...except the one smartass that thinks he knows everything. :-)

Phobia 12-28-2010 07:27 PM

I'm not going this weekend. I think your best bet is to go to the original Jack Stack in Martin City. Their sides are all "can't miss". It's not as pretty as the other Jack Stacks but they put out better fare there.

GloryDayz 12-28-2010 08:20 PM

If they're from N.O., you'll need to find a urinal to serve it in or it won't taste or smell the same/right.. OK, that was mean, sorry! Just take them to the corner, tell them "it's really good" and they'll love it. It's sort of like the Cajun food in, N.O., it sux but they'll tell you it's awesome...

Shogun 12-28-2010 08:21 PM

Hmm.. I just had Jack Stack again tonight on Metcalf, I've never had bad food there. Maybe they just hate you Donger lol

kcconnie 12-28-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7299575)
If they're from N.O., you'll need to find a urinal to serve it in or it won't taste or smell the same/right.. OK, that was mean, sorry! Just take them to the corner, tell them "it's really good" and they'll love it. It's sort of like the Cajun food in, N.O., it sux but they'll tell you it's awesome...

ROFL So very true if you're on Bourbon Street! Thank God for the real Cajuns that cook elsewhere, but yes, it is an acquired taste!

Bwana 12-28-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 7299581)
Hmm.. I just had Jack Stack again tonight on Metcalf, I've never had bad food there. Maybe they just hate you Donger lol

this :shrug:

Donger 12-28-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 7299581)

Now that I think of it, it has been for lunch each of the last three times. Maybe their lunch is just not very good.

Reaper16 12-29-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burt (Post 7294211)
You forgot the objectivity of how moist it makes Reapers manjina......... Damn,, once again, you are too school for cool.......:shake:

Really? Saying that texture or flavor balance isn't all subjective makes me "too school for cool?" I don't see how you reached that conclusion. I just don't see it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7298677)
Hey Reaper. Meat plus fire.

Thats all it takes for good BBQ.

Your trolling won't work on me this time!

MOhillbilly 12-29-2010 09:24 AM

im not trolling. I believe what i wrote. Its the first law of BBQ.