ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234369)

Deberg_1990 09-29-2010 06:42 AM

'Star Wars' saga set for 3D release starting 2012

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...92835d50e86a3a

Big news on the 3D front.

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set on rereleasing the "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Although 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas purportedly was waiting until there were enough screens available to make the release a sizable event.

Fox, which released all six original "Star Wars" films, also would release the 3D versions.

Episode I, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock during early 2012. After that, each film would be released in order at the same time in consecutive years, depending on how well the first rerelease does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas overseeing the process to make sure each is as perfect as possible. He has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" is ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Starting with "Phantom Menace," Lucasfilm would use several higher-end conversion houses to work on the project. By late winter or early spring in 2012, the exhibition industry should have all the 3D screens anyone could want for such a release.

At present, pics are limited to 2,000-2,500 3D locations owing to an insufficient installed base of projectors and screens. Movie theaters are adding 3D screens at a clip of 500 a month in the U.S. Foreign exhibitors also are pushing into 3D as quickly as possible now that financing for the installations is flowing.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D TV technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped sets and Sony recently sending its version to market, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the films by the time the new 3D theatrical releases have run their course.

Lucas purportedly is lining up the theatrical rereleases as a lead-in to the ultimate home-viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to other 3D media.

In the meantime, Lucas plans a comprehensive Blu-ray Disc set of the six films next year, which would include upgraded picture and sound quality, new deleted scenes and special features.

Jerm 09-29-2010 06:46 AM

So sick of 3-D....

Fire Me Boy! 09-29-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 7048076)
So sick of Lucas....

FYP

Jerm 09-29-2010 06:54 AM

That works too.

Hammock Parties 09-29-2010 07:10 AM

This is going to kick ****ing ass. This is what 3D should be for.

SEE IT AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME NERFHERDERS

Frazod 09-29-2010 07:13 AM

Just what I always wanted to see - JarJar Binks in 3D. :#

I suppose I'll buy the blu rays when they come out, since the original three will be worth having. I might even go see them in the theater. The last three, though? **** you, Lucas.

Deberg_1990 09-29-2010 07:25 AM

Im sure they will look great in 3D but..............Ive Seen all the movies on the big screen multiple times...owned all them on VHS multiple versions...owned them on Laserdisc.....now own them all on DVD. Im about done giving Lucas any more of my money for anything Star Wars.

Frazod 09-29-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7048110)
Im sure they will look great in 3D but..............Ive Seen all the movies on the big screen multiple times...owned all them on VHS multiple versions...owned them on Laserdisc.....now own them all on DVD. Im about done giving Lucas any more of my money for anything Star Wars.

I hear you - I've said the same thing more than once.

But I've got to have the originals on blu ray. And if it means buying those last three overblown shitfests along with it, I guess.... I guess... ****.

**** YOU LUCAS

:cuss:

Deberg_1990 09-29-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7048119)
But I've got to have the originals on blu ray.

I believe all the movies have been shown in HD on pay cable a few times? Get a DVR. : )

Frazod 09-29-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7048142)
I believe all the movies have been shown in HD on pay cable a few times? Get a DVR. : )

I've got three of the goddamn things, but no way (that I know of) to transfer things stored on them elsewhere.

Bowser 09-29-2010 09:16 AM

Here's an idea - instead of re-mastering these movies (ep. 4-6 AGAIN), how about we get some NEW ****ING MOVIES? God forbid we get anything new and fresh in the Star Wars universe from Lucas not named the Clone Wars. Yeah, yeah....the Skywalker story ended with the ****ing chinchillas on Endor. Whatever, blow it out your ass. Give me the Thrawn story; give me some Jedi Academy stories; give me ANYTHING but you sucking off the same dried up cash cow tit, Lucas. Just because James Cameron hits it big in 3D with Avatar does NOT mean I need to have Jar Jar and Ewoks in 3D. ****!

Blow me, George.

Frazod 09-29-2010 09:53 AM

Have you ever watched the Red Letter Media reviews of the newer movies? They're long, but funny as hell and spot on. And they definitely identify Lucas's main problem - he has some great ideas that need to be tempered by people who are actually SANE. In the first movie his creative control was limited (and thank God for that, or else we'd have had a midget Luke Skywalker and a reptilian Han Solo). For the second and third movies, he wisely deferred directing responsibilities to more skilled directors and stayed behind the scenes.

But fast forward 15-20 years, and now Lucas is alone on top of a mountain of money, power and ego, surrounded by sycophants who don't dare tell him that his new ideas not only SUCK, but SUCK HARD. The steady hand of Gary Kurtz is long gone. The funny thing is, the RLM reviews show footage of his staff meetings, and you can see the WTF???!!!??? looks on the faces of his underlings as he describes the awful things he wants to do. But again, his opinions can no longer be challenged.

What this all boils down to is that there's about a 99% chance that anything he does in the future will suck, and I simply don't want him to do any further damage. I wish he'd just release IV, V and VI on blu ray as-is and then go away, but that won't happen. God only knows how many more "Greedo shoots first" moments he has in store for us in his next round of mindless tinkering.

bevischief 09-29-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7048269)
Here's an idea - instead of re-mastering these movies (ep. 4-6 AGAIN), how about we get some NEW ****ING MOVIES? God forbid we get anything new and fresh in the Star Wars universe from Lucas not named the Clone Wars. Yeah, yeah....the Skywalker story ended with the ****ing chinchillas on Endor. Whatever, blow it out your ass. Give me the Thrawn story; give me some Jedi Academy stories; give me ANYTHING but you sucking off the same dried up cash cow tit, Lucas. Just because James Cameron hits it big in 3D with Avatar does NOT mean I need to have Jar Jar and Ewoks in 3D. ****!

Blow me, George.

This!!!!!!!!!

The Franchise 09-29-2010 12:22 PM

Seriously.....I'm tired of Star Wars.

Go **** yourself Lucas.

siberian khatru 09-29-2010 12:27 PM

Enough already.