ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs clear roster spot for Geno Smith - our starting QB is gone. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271939)

Rain Man 04-09-2013 07:10 PM

Chiefs clear roster spot for Geno Smith - our starting QB is gone.

The Brady Quinn era has ended:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/quinn-s...3094--nfl.html

Quinn in as Seahawks' backup QB

Brady Quinn wins ... the backup quarterback job with the Seattle Seahawks.

After the Seahawks brought in Quinn, Matt Leinart and Tyler Thigpen for tryouts on Monday, the team decided to go with Quinn, the team announced Tuesday. No contract details were announced.

The backup quarterback opening was created last week with the Seahawks dealt Matt Flynn to the Oakland Raiders. Flynn lost a battle in training camp last year with rookie Russell Wilson for Seattle's starting job.

Quinn took over as the Kansas City Chiefs' starter last year when Matt Cassel was injured. In eight games as the starter, Quinn threw two touchdown passes and eight interceptions. The former first-round pick from Notre Dame also spent time with the Cleveland Browns, starting 12 games in three years, and the Denver Broncos, where he never played in two seasons.

Leinart was thought to have a chance to land the Seattle job despite lackluster play the past few seasons while bouncing between Arizona, Houston and Oakland. He played in college at USC for current Seahawks coach Pete Carroll.

Thigpen, meanwhile, possesses running ability similar to Wilson that would have worked well on the Seahawks' read-option plays. But he had started only one NFL game the past five seasons, with Miami in 2010.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-09-2013 07:12 PM

We still have 3 QB's .
There will be no Geno Smith in KC.

penbrook 04-09-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9572897)
We still have 3 QB's .
There will be no Geno Smith in KC.

Yea there will be.

Depth Chart for QB in 2013

1) Alex Smith
2) Geno Smith
3) Chase Daniel

ChiefAshhole20 04-09-2013 07:15 PM

Switch Geno and Chase and I think you got it...

siberian khatru 04-09-2013 07:16 PM

Misleading thread title = one-week ban

penbrook 04-09-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9572912)

No the depth chart is right.

Rain Man 04-09-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9572916)

If only. I would be so productive.

Cannibal 04-09-2013 07:28 PM

Quinn blows, but not based on last year. God our coaches sucked ass.

alpha_omega 04-09-2013 07:35 PM

Condolences to Joe Seahawk.

In58men 04-09-2013 07:35 PM

Alex Tanney beat out Quinn ROFL

Deberg_1990 04-09-2013 07:37 PM

Wow, good for Quinn.....From the outhouse to the penthouse

Chief Roundup 04-09-2013 07:43 PM

:facepalm:

Cannibal 04-09-2013 07:48 PM

Looks like Daboll is now a "coaching assistant" with the Patriots.

DTLB58 04-09-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9573012)
Alex Tanney beat out Quinn ROFL

Not really. Quinn wasn't under contract.

Ace Gunner 04-09-2013 08:34 PM

Quinn beat out the mighty THIGS :loser:

Gravedigger 04-09-2013 08:37 PM

I do think Stanzi is training camp fodder at this point though, I don't believe there is any way we don't draft a QB in one of the rounds this year. Whether it be Geno, Wilson, Dysert or whomever is there for us to get.

patteeu 04-09-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9572916)

One week! That's like 672 fifteen minute bans served consecutively. Pretty harsh.

WhitiE 04-09-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9573333)
One week! That's like 672 fifteen minute bans served consecutively. Pretty harsh.

Nice

JoeyChuckles 04-09-2013 08:52 PM

Hey Rain Man, is this the first news you have ever broke on here? I mean Chiefs related. I've yet to break that barrier.

Hammock Parties 04-09-2013 09:07 PM

lol @ all the dipshits I slayed last offseason in the debate over this turd.

BigMeatballDave 04-09-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9573576)
lol @ all the dipshits I slayed last offseason in the debate over this turd.

How do you know you weren't trolled?

Ming the Merciless 04-09-2013 09:17 PM

the master plan is one step closer

Imon Yourside 04-09-2013 10:19 PM

Step right up Geno ****ING SMITH!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-09-2013 10:20 PM

I feel like Alex from Clockwork Orange right now. Righty-right-right!
Posted via Mobile Device

AussieChiefsFan 04-09-2013 10:50 PM

Oh no not Brady Quinn :(

BlackHelicopters 04-10-2013 07:35 AM

Deepest sympathy to all Seahawk fans.

ptlyon 04-10-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9574169)

I feel worse for minnesota.

Not really.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 07:42 AM

GENO SMITH = AKILI SMITH!!!

Go Chiefs! draft from the inside out and take that dam left tackle!! finally have some major success for the long haul!!

Rain Man 04-10-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 9573406)
Hey Rain Man, is this the first news you have ever broke on here? I mean Chiefs related. I've yet to break that barrier.

I broke a story a few years ago about some fourth string offensive lineman being signed. this may or may not be my biggest story ever.

Rain Man 04-10-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9573333)

I am hoping I can serve all of those sentences concurrently.

DMAC 04-10-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574184)

Go Chiefs! draft from the inside out and take that dam left tackle!! finally have some major success for the long haul!!

LMAO

wazu 04-10-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9574169)

Yes, shedding a tear this morning for them and their terrible QB situation.

patteeu 04-10-2013 07:50 AM

I thought for sure that Tyler Thigpen was the guy for that backup spot.

Halfcan 04-10-2013 08:56 AM

I dont understand how Any team could want brady Quit- he has a weak arm and no heart. He is absolutely horrendous- glad he is gone!!

Definitly one of the the top 5 Worst QB's in Chiefs history.

Dave Lane 04-10-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole20 (Post 9572912)

Cut Chase and I think you have it.

Chase is not an option.

Setsuna 04-10-2013 09:24 AM

Rain Man has gone off the deep end. Ricky Stanzi is still a Chief idiot. Wow. Delusional. This place has gone full reerun.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-10-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574184)

Your mom should take you to the zoo and stop for ice cream; you need to get out of the house more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-10-2013 09:47 AM

Stanzi will not be a Chief much longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9574417)
Your mom should take you to the zoo and stop for ice cream; you need to get out of the house more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geno, The best QB in one of the weakest classes in years. Leader of a 7-6 team with a gimmick offense. The infatuation with this guy is hilarious, next years crop actually has Franchise changers. Teddy Bridgewater, AJ Mcarron, Logan Thomas, Aaron Murry, Taj Boyd all make Geno look amateurish. Hell if James Franklin was in this draft he may give you as much as Geno, at least he can use his legs.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574667)
Geno, The best QB in one of the weakest classes in years. Leader of a 7-6 team with a gimmick offense. The infatuation with this guy is hilarious, next years crop actually has Franchise changers. Teddy Bridgewater, AJ Mcarron, Logan Thomas, Aaron Murry, Taj Boyd all make Geno look amateurish. Hell if James Franklin was in this draft he may give you as much as Geno, at least he can use his legs.

Blackbob?

B14ckmon 04-10-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

I'm just glad no one drafted RG3 who played in an almost identical offense.

AJ McCarron lol. Kill yourself.

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah we need Joeckel! Right tackles are game changers!!!! he'll win us a super bowl FOR SURE!!!!

AlexSmithDynasty 04-10-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9574679)

At least if you draft McCArron you can look at his girlfriend in the stands on game day.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexSmithDynasty (Post 9574723)
At least if you draft McCArron you can look at his girlfriend in the stands on game day.

That didn't make the Brodie Croyle shit fest any more enjoyable and Brodie was a better prospect than AJ.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9574679)

This is hilarious, comparing Geno Smith with RG3. Lets see, RG3 recruited by Harbaugh to play at standford, academic all american who graduated in 3 years. One of the main reasons he went to Baylor was because he was also one of the best Hurdlers in the ENTIRE WORLD and Balylor has a great track and field team. Geno Smith, to West Virginia. Why, no other school recruited him, oh wait Alabama. Didnt go because he couldnt beat out AJ Mcarron who was already there and he couldnt beat him out, also much more highly recruited.

Pleas dont compare this scrubb with a world class Athlete like RG3. Break those bad habits and let the Chiefs work the right way. Why are the Niners finally getting good? Because they drafted 1st round lineman after 1 round lineman! The entire line is practically High first round picks.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574734)
This is hilarious, comparing Geno Smith with RG3. Lets see, RG3 recruited by Harbaugh to play at standford, academic all american who graduated in 3 years. One of the main reasons he went to Baylor was because he was also one of the best Hurdlers in the ENTIRE WORLD and Balylor has a great track and field team. Geno Smith, to West Virginia. Why, no other school recruited him, oh wait Alabama. Didnt go because he couldnt beat out AJ Mcarron who was already there and he couldnt beat him out, also much more highly recruited.

Pleas dont compare this scrubb with a world class Athlete like RG3. Break those bad habits and let the Chiefs work the right way. Why are the Niners finally getting good? Because they drafted 1st round lineman after 1 round lineman! The entire line is practically High first round picks.

And yet they got their ass smoked by who? Oh, a team with a 1st round QB that played balls out. Although, I don't believe Flacco was a world class hurdler so I'm somewhat surprised he pulled off the win. Take your TrueFan shit and shove it up your ass. 1990 called and wants its post back.

AlexSmithDynasty 04-10-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9574742)
And yet they got their ass smoked by who? Oh, a team with a 1st round QB that played balls out. Although, I don't believe Flacco was a world class hurdler so I'm somewhat surprised he pulled off the win. Take your TrueFan shit and shove it up your ass. 1990 called and wants its post back.

Yeah it's pretty clear they won because they had a first round QB and the Niners only had a second round QB...

B14ckmon 04-10-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574734)

No one was comparing his abilities to RG3 reerun. You used the WVU "gimmick" offense against Geno. I pointed out that RG3 ran the same offense in college. Making your argument super ****ing dumb.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 12:16 PM

Flacco was also Highly highly touted as a superstar. Started at Michigan and everyone knew he was gonna be good. Got smoked? by 3 point? Who is living in 1990's? The chiefs are finally breaking the mold and you want them to keep doing the same ol stupid shit that makes you repost and repost all this insanity. Take a sub-par player just because you have the top pick. Best Player Available!!! Geno is Not!! Its just a fact. There is not a nastier line in football than the Niners and the Chiefs could have that as well. With Albert and Jockhel. For years to come!

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574761)
Flacco was also Highly highly touted as a superstar. Started at Michigan and everyone knew he was gonna be good. Got smoked? by 3 point? Who is living in 1990's? The chiefs are finally breaking the mold and you want them to keep doing the same ol stupid shit that makes you repost and repost all this insanity. Take a sub-par player just because you have the top pick. Best Player Available!!! Geno is Not!! Its just a fact. There is not a nastier line in football than the Niners and the Chiefs could have that as well. With Albert and Jockhel. For years to come!

Joe Thomas likes this post. The Browns just need a 1st round RT and they are ****ing set!

Not only are they not only NOT breaking the mold this is the same damn blue print they've used for decades. Trade for someone else's steaming pyle of shit.

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574761)
Flacco was also Highly highly touted as a superstar. Started at Michigan and everyone knew he was gonna be good.

lulz wat?

notorious 04-10-2013 12:19 PM

Am I the only one that thinks thigpen would make a good #3?

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9574769)
lulz wat?

Yeah, I'm on the fence if he is a troll or idiot at the moment. I'm leaning towards idiot.

AlexSmithDynasty 04-10-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9574766)
Joe Thomas likes this post. The Browns just need a 1st round RT and they are ****ing set!

Joe Thomas was a great pick for the browns. Same cant be said for Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, etc.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 12:25 PM

I compare his abilities because it doesnt matter what offense RG played in, he and Luck are once in a generation QB's. Geno Played in this gimmick and it made him look much better than he really is. If you dont think, then just watch some tape and read the scouting reports. Yes of course he will go high in this draft, this draft for QBs is terrible. He would be a 2nd rounder next year. His abilities are limited, RG3 can take a snap from under center no problem, as you saw in the regular season. As far as the reerun comment goes, its clear who that goes to. Dont think i have to speak on that further.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexSmithDynasty (Post 9574794)
Joe Thomas was a great pick for the browns. Same cant be said for Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, etc.

And Joe has how many playoffs win for as great of a LT he is? Couch and Quinn were okay picks they just didn't pan out. That's the chance you take on being great. Sometimes you strike out. McCoy was good value in the 3rd and probably just as good as Alex. They has their head up their asses with Weeden.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574797)
I compare his abilities because it doesnt matter what offense RG played in, he and Luck are once in a generation QB's. Geno Played in this gimmick and it made him look much better than he really is. If you dont think, then just watch some tape and read the scouting reports. Yes of course he will go high in this draft, this draft for QBs is terrible. He would be a 2nd rounder next year. His abilities are limited, RG3 can take a snap from under center no problem, as you saw in the regular season. As far as the reerun comment goes, its clear who that goes to. Dont think i have to speak on that further.

From Jon Gruden

When Geno Smith came in for QB camp, there were a couple of big questions to address in assessing his value.

For one, you start with the question of production. With Smith, the one I get asked is this: "Is this guy simply a product of a system?" I get it. Hey, those big numbers cut both ways. They might look good, but they also make scouts suspicious. Does the system create the quarterback, or is the quarterback maximizing the system? I mean, 42 touchdowns and six picks?

Here's what I see.

Maybe the system is great, but I don't know of a quarterback who has had as many decision-making opportunities as Smith had. And you know what? He made the right decisions. For instance: Every running play that was called, he had the option to hand the ball off, but he could also check out of the play and throw it. There were always options.

Every single play they could hand it off, or throw a bubble screen or a tap screen (he completed 112 screen passes in 2012) and as a product of some of those plays, you get hit in the face and you've got to be back on the ball again before you can even say, "West Virginia.'' There's a pace to the decisions. That offense would drive a lot of quarterbacks crazy. It's hard. It isn't just "easy production" -- it can simply look easy if you have a great decision-maker. I like the mental grind that he's been trained to deal with.

It's hard to find prospects such as Smith who possess that size and that speed, but it's also that ability to make quick decisions. I think it's a great accomplishment that he ran that offense like he did. I don't like to simply say because of a track record with a system, "He's got inflated production." I hate when people say that. It's bull. The same systems can produce entirely different prospects. Smith's given himself a chance to be the No. 1 pick in the draft because he can make decisions.

The second question I'm asked is: With the recent trends with read-option capability in guys like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III, is Smith really a threat in multiple ways? The numbers don't really point to that, after all. The guy had a total of 152 yards rushing last year. But as I said, he's not lacking speed.

I think what's most intriguing about him is that the read-option capabilities are there, even if we didn't see a lot of it. Look, I don't ever want to just have a quarterback come into the NFL and think he essentially majored in the read-option. In the current NFL, I think there's a place for it because it does regulate what the defense can do. You get to dictate matchups and create a threat if the guy has that running skill.

So if you can be a real threat to do that, like Wilson or Kaepernick can with the right combination of size and speed, and also master the protections and master the pocket like Smith is capable of, you create that double-edged combination. If that's what you want from him, I think he can be dangerous. The way I see it, if Smith gets with the right guy and can stay in the same system to develop, West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen has proved how he can. So you can draft him having seen him adjust to a new system and take off.

Once you get those two questions out the way, you deal with the last one. The one I've been asked is whether this guy is truly worthy of a No. 1 pick.

I answer that by considering where he is not in every draft, but for this class specifically. In this class, I definitely think he's a guy you could take at No. 1, or at least in that range if it's your top need. Sure, a lot of people say he's not as good as Andrew Luck or Griffin. Well, last time I checked, those guys aren't in this draft. It's supply and demand. In this league, you need a quarterback, and if you're a general manager or a coach you can't just operate with the idea you're content to wait until you're in the perfect position to take a can't-miss prospect. In this class, the closest thing to that is Smith. And if I needed a quarterback, I'd be willing to take him high.

We know he can throw the ball. I think he certainly can get a little better at his footwork, and it's something I tried to point out in working with him. But we know and like the overall athleticism he has. In the end, I think he's going to be a heck of a player, and that also has to do with experience.

Smith has seen it all, and so as you evaluate, you can, too. You're getting to see a body of work over four years, and it's a big body of work. We saw him play in big games, and we saw him play under two different coaches. He's had an incredible amount of things happen to him. I like that he's come from Miami all the way to West Virginia and hasn't just played for the two coaches, but has also gone from the Big East to the Big 12. A lot of people don't think that's a big deal. It is. When they realigned the NFC and the Buccaneers went from the NFC Central to the NFC South, it was a bigger deal than people realized. Switching conferences and playing teams that you're not used to playing is a very big deal.

In the end, it comes down to upside. Smith is big enough, athletic enough and sharp in his decision-making. He's charismatic and passionate. In his case, and in this QB class, if the need is there, I'm not sure what else you're looking for

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9574766)

Not only are they not only NOT breaking the mold this is the same damn blue print they've used for decades. Trade for someone else's steaming pyle of shit.

You cant be serious, how can you know if you have a good QB when you are rolling out swiss cheese on gameday and he cant even stay upright. Everyone thought Cassell would succeed, he was great with the Pats, Quinn was also a first round QB. None of these guys could stand in the pocket without getting there sh** blown up. Give me a great great O-line. I dont need the best QB of the weak QB draft. A team is built from the inside out, I am guessing you could ask any good QB this and he will tell you the same thing.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574830)
You cant be serious, how can you know if you have a good QB when you are rolling out swiss cheese on gameday and he cant even stay upright. Everyone thought Cassell would succeed, he was great with the Pats, Quinn was also a first round QB. None of these guys could stand in the pocket without getting there sh** blown up. Give me a great great O-line. I dont need the best QB of the weak QB draft. A team is built from the inside out, I am guessing you could ask any good QB this and he will tell you the same thing.

How many sacks did Brandon Albert give up? The Chiefs line was more then okay. It was pointed out many times there were open receivers that Cassell just didn't see or couldn't throw the ball to with this weak ass arm.

Give me Aaron Rodgers and average O-Line anyway over Alex Smiff and blowing high picks on fatties. ****, Rodgers was winning games with the worst O-Line in football for awhile. I'm pretty sure Green Bay still knew what they had.

You must be a kid, because you don't know shit about Chief football history.

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 12:42 PM

whats less valuable to a football team than a right tackle? guard? why would a team take a player at 1.1 where you want an impact player who can change games. I dont see right tackles changing games.
Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan really panned out well for miami didnt it

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9574838)
whats less valuable to a football team than a right tackle? guard? why would a team take a player at 1.1 where you want an impact player who can change games. I dont see right tackles changing games.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that no matter who is playing O-Line any particular year the great QB's seem to always be great.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9574828)
From Jon Gruden

When Geno Smith came in for QB camp, there were a couple of big questions to address in assessing his value.

For one, you start with the question of production. With Smith, the one I get asked is this: "Is this guy simply a product of a system?" I get it. Hey, those big numbers cut both ways. They might look good, but they also make scouts suspicious. Does the system create the quarterback, or is the quarterback maximizing the system? I mean, 42 touchdowns and six picks?

Maybe the system is great, but I don't know of a quarterback who has had as many decision-making opportunities as Smith had. And you know what? He made the right decisions. For instance: Every running play that was called, he had the option to hand the ball off, but he could also check out of the play and throw it. There were always options.

Every single play they could hand it off, or throw a bubble screen or a tap screen (he completed 112 screen passes in 2012) and as a product of some of those plays, you get hit in the face and you've got to be back on the ball again before you can even say, "West Virginia.'' There's a pace to the decisions. That offense would drive a lot of quarterbacks crazy. It's hard. It isn't just "easy production" -- it can simply look easy if you have a great decision-maker. I like the mental grind that he's been trained to deal with.

It's hard to find prospects such as Smith who possess that size and that speed, but it's also that ability to make quick decisions. I think it's a great accomplishment that he ran that offense like he did. I don't like to simply say because of a track record with a system, "He's got inflated production." I hate when people say that. It's bull. The same systems can produce entirely different prospects. Smith's given himself a chance to be the No. 1 pick in the draft because he can make decisions.

The second question I'm asked is: With the recent trends with read-option capability in guys like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III, is Smith really a threat in multiple ways? The numbers don't really point to that, after all. The guy had a total of 152 yards rushing last year. But as I said, he's not lacking speed.

I think what's most intriguing about him is that the read-option capabilities are there, even if we didn't see a lot of it. Look, I don't ever want to just have a quarterback come into the NFL and think he essentially majored in the read-option. In the current NFL, I think there's a place for it because it does regulate what the defense can do. You get to dictate matchups and create a threat if the guy has that running skill.

So if you can be a real threat to do that, like Wilson or Kaepernick can with the right combination of size and speed, and also master the protections and master the pocket like Smith is capable of, you create that double-edged combination. If that's what you want from him, I think he can be dangerous. The way I see it, if Smith gets with the right guy and can stay in the same system to develop, West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen has proved how he can. So you can draft him having seen him adjust to a new system and take off.

Once you get those two questions out the way, you deal with the last one. The one I've been asked is whether this guy is truly worthy of a No. 1 pick.

I answer that by considering where he is not in every draft, but for this class specifically. In this class, I definitely think he's a guy you could take at No. 1, or at least in that range if it's your top need. Sure, a lot of people say he's not as good as Andrew Luck or Griffin. Well, last time I checked, those guys aren't in this draft. It's supply and demand. In this league, you need a quarterback, and if you're a general manager or a coach you can't just operate with the idea you're content to wait until you're in the perfect position to take a can't-miss prospect. In this class, the closest thing to that is Smith. And if I needed a quarterback, I'd be willing to take him high.

We know he can throw the ball. I think he certainly can get a little better at his footwork, and it's something I tried to point out in working with him. But we know and like the overall athleticism he has. In the end, I think he's going to be a heck of a player, and that also has to do with experience.

Smith has seen it all, and so as you evaluate, you can, too. You're getting to see a body of work over four years, and it's a big body of work. We saw him play in big games, and we saw him play under two different coaches. He's had an incredible amount of things happen to him. I like that he's come from Miami all the way to West Virginia and hasn't just played for the two coaches, but has also gone from the Big East to the Big 12. A lot of people don't think that's a big deal. It is. When they realigned the NFC and the Buccaneers went from the NFC Central to the NFC South, it was a bigger deal than people realized. Switching conferences and playing teams that you're not used to playing is a very big deal.

In the end, it comes down to upside. Smith is big enough, athletic enough and sharp in his decision-making. He's charismatic and passionate. In his case, and in this QB class, if the need is there, I'm not sure what else you're looking for

I really like this article, as I watch everyone of these as well with Gruden. Now please go and find one article where he actually says anything bad about anyone of these guys. When they are in the room together its always the same. " man is this guy gonna be good." Where is there one time he said to the guys face. " Im sorry i just wouldnt draft you very high. I mean come on, he is an evaluator and a former head coach, so called QB guru. Every guy is better than the invention of sliced bread. You know he has real opinions behind closed doors.

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574852)
I really like this article, as I watch everyone of these as well with Gruden. Now please go and find one article where he actually says anything bad about anyone of these guys. When they are in the room together its always the same. " man is this guy gonna be good." Where is there one time he said to the guys face. " Im sorry i just wouldnt draft you very high. I mean come on, he is an evaluator and a former head coach, so called QB guru. Every guy is better than the invention of sliced bread. You know he has real opinions behind closed doors.

dude what it comes down to is the number 1 pick has no value this year, because the top 10 players suck compared to other years. So we want to take a guy at 1.1 who will be the most valuable to our team saying we cant trade down. Which position is the most valuable to a NFL team? QB. Geno is the perfect qb to sit for a year and let him learn the nfl game, and at the same time pushing AS to play better because he has a rookie qb sitting behind him, if AS plays great, then awesome, we trade Geno down the road, if AS sucks, which he will, then we start Geno at the end of the season or next season and boom, superbowls.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9574834)
How many sacks did Brandon Albert give up? The Chiefs line was more then okay. It was pointed out many times there were open receivers that Cassell just didn't see or couldn't throw the ball to with this weak ass arm.

Give me Aaron Rodgers and average O-Line anyway over Alex Smiff and blowing high picks on fatties. ****, Rodgers was winning games with the worst O-Line in football for awhile. I'm pretty sure Green Bay still knew what they had.

You must be a kid, because you don't know shit about Chief football history.

That is just where we differ, I dont believe that Geno is a game changer, as a matter of fact i feel Alex is a much more intelligent QB with just as much athletic ability. He may not have a stronger arm, but he def has a better grasp of offensive concepts than Geno. You must be an old dude, who knows to much about Chiefs history. We young kids have a term for this. Turn your blinker off.!!! Turn the page!! Its time to build a franchise again, not take upside ex.. Tyson Jackson! Think back on your history and tell me how happy you have been. Its why you are on here having a spirited debate with me.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574899)
That is just where we differ, I dont believe that Geno is a game changer, as a matter of fact i feel Alex is a much more intelligent QB with just as much athletic ability. He may not have a stronger arm, but he def has a better grasp of offensive concepts than Geno. You must be an old dude, who knows to much about Chiefs history. We young kids have a term for this. Turn your blinker off.!!! Turn the page!! Its time to build a franchise again, not take upside ex.. Tyson Jackson! Think back on your history and tell me how happy you have been. Its why you are on here having a spirited debate with me.

You dipshit. Tyson Jackson had no ****ing upside.

Yes. I remember 30 years of QB's not good enough to start for another team and the Chiefs being too chicken shit to draft one in the 1st.

It's not a ****ing debate. You are being educated Marty.

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 12:58 PM

geno played in 3 different offenses under 2 different head coaches also. obviously the kid knows how to learn nfl concepts.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9574874)
dude what it comes down to is the number 1 pick has no value this year, because the top 10 players suck compared to other years. So we want to take a guy at 1.1 who will be the most valuable to our team saying we cant trade down. Which position is the most valuable to a NFL team? QB. Geno is the perfect qb to sit for a year and let him learn the nfl game, and at the same time pushing AS to play better because he has a rookie qb sitting behind him, if AS plays great, then awesome, we trade Geno down the road, if AS sucks, which he will, then we start Geno at the end of the season or next season and boom, superbowls.

I think the QBs in this draft have no value this year. All 3 left tackles are absolute studs. I think will bring stability for the next 10 years. Your willing to draft geno, sit him and hope for the best? Give me a stud left tackle anyday. This is just where our philosophies differ, but i get what your saying. And trading Geno down the road? What kind of return do you think youll get? For sure your not getting the #1 pick back, maybe a 3 rounder if lucky. So you just took a guy #1 and traded him for a 3 rounder. Look at Mallet. Is he worse than Geno? Pats still are waiting to get something good for him. Year 3!

Molitoth 04-10-2013 01:06 PM

obvious troll is obvious

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574947)
I think the QBs in this draft have no value this year. All 3 left tackles are absolute studs. I think will bring stability for the next 10 years. Your willing to draft geno, sit him and hope for the best? Give me a stud left tackle anyday. This is just where our philosophies differ, but i get what your saying. And trading Geno down the road? What kind of return do you think youll get? For sure your not getting the #1 pick back, maybe a 3 rounder if lucky. So you just took a guy #1 and traded him for a 3 rounder. Look at Mallet. Is he worse than Geno? Pats still are waiting to get something good for him. Year 3!

we already have a stud left tackle.
qbs are what win superbowls. I woulda traded the whole draft for RG3 last year. If you dont have a top qb, you arent winning the superbowl anymore and until we find one, we'll continue to be the kings of 8&8.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9574925)
You dipshit. Tyson Jackson had no ****ing upside.

Yes. I remember 30 years of QB's not good enough to start for another team and the Chiefs being too chicken shit to draft one in the 1st.

It's not a ****ing debate. You are being educated Marty.

Tyson Jackson had no upside??? ITs excactly why he was chosen 3rd overall!! No one had ever heard of him before the combine when he was unbelievable. He was real good at LSU but no one thought he was a top 5 pick. 30 yrs, you may have forgotten a guy name Trent Green. Who If im old enough to remember gave us 5 years of top 10 qb play. The guy was a stud. Plenty of QBs not able to start for other teams. Kurt Warner had a pretty good career after being cut, Tony Romo wasnt even drafted. So basically your saying you just wana draft a QB in the first just because you can. Pleas promote this guy to GM

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9574974)
we already have a stud left tackle.
qbs are what win superbowls. I woulda traded the whole draft for RG3 last year. If you dont have a top qb, you arent winning the superbowl anymore and until we find one, we'll continue to be the kings of 8&8.

So then you should be elated with Alex Smith? He had the NFC title game won. It was over. He took the lead, stopped them and made them punt. Then Kyle Williams happened. It does not take away what he did in the playoffs, had it happened, he earned the right to play in that game. 2 muffed punts by williams and a fumble that was a no call. None of with had to do with Smith. I dont want to get this conv started, people will run wild.

Chief_For_Life58 04-10-2013 01:20 PM

Im gonna wait this year to pass judgement on AS. This is his year to improve to the next level and become what he should of been all along or be a backup the rest of his career. I just want the future qb position addressed and Geno fills that spot very nicely. I trust Dorsey and AR to make the right decisions though, they know better than us what to do and they definitely know the importance of the qb in the current nfl.

Frosty 04-10-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574991)
Tyson Jackson had no upside??? ITs excactly why he was chosen 3rd overall!!

LMAO Jackson was chosen 3rd overall only because ***** is a dipshit.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9574991)
Tyson Jackson had no upside??? ITs excactly why he was chosen 3rd overall!! No one had ever heard of him before the combine when he was unbelievable. He was real good at LSU but no one thought he was a top 5 pick. 30 yrs, you may have forgotten a guy name Trent Green. Who If im old enough to remember gave us 5 years of top 10 qb play. The guy was a stud. Plenty of QBs not able to start for other teams. Kurt Warner had a pretty good career after being cut, Tony Romo wasnt even drafted. So basically your saying you just wana draft a QB in the first just because you can. Pleas promote this guy to GM

Ah, yes. The old exception to the rule arguments. There was once this guy drafted in the 6th round, it's possible! LMAO

Meanwhile teams like the Giants, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens are getting their guy in the 1st round and winning SB's.

7 of the last 8 teams that won the SB drafted a QB in round 1 and developed him. But yeah there was Drew Brees so if you want to go all in and put your money on the ball landing on green then that's your choice(philosophy). I'll choose red or black.

listopencil 04-10-2013 01:36 PM

That really sucks. There goes all of my Brady (Bitch) Quinn "KC BBQ" jokes.

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9575037)
LMAO Jackson was chosen 3rd overall only because ***** is a dipshit.

Pretty much. Nobody else was taking him in the top 20. There was no upside to TJ at all. None, zilch, natta.

ayleswbj 04-10-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9575038)
Ah, yes. The old exception to the rule arguments. There was once this guy drafted in the 6th round, it's possible! LMAO

Meanwhile teams like the Giants, Packers, Steelers, and Ravens are getting their guy in the 1st round and winning SB's.

7 of the last 8 teams that won the SB drafted a QB in round 1 and developed him. But yeah there was Drew Brees so if you want to go all in and put your money on the ball landing on green then that's your choice(philosophy). I'll choose red or black.

All had really good Left tackles and Olines as well, Rothlisberger was not developed started as a rookie, Flacco was not developed , started all 16 as a rookie. Eli played more than half of his as a rookie. All the guys you are talking about were head and shoulders above where Geno is. LMAO

BigCatDaddy 04-10-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9575093)
All had really good Left tackles and Olines as well, Rothlisberger was not developed started as a rookie, Flacco was not developed , started all 16 as a rookie. Eli played more than half of his as a rookie. All the guys you are talking about were head and shoulders above where Geno is. LMAO

No. Actually most of those guys were considered similar prospects to Geno or they wouldn't have lasted as long as they did in the draft(Eli excluded). You can be developed while playing on the field, dumbass.

Do yourself a favor and lurk some more then come back and talk football with the adults. You're in over your head and wasting my time.

Chief Roundup 04-10-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9574838)

Matt Ryan is not all that either. Both players are meh.

Chief Roundup 04-10-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9575102)
No. Actually most of those guys were considered similar prospects to Geno or they wouldn't have lasted as long as they did in the draft(Eli excluded). You can be developed while playing on the field, dumbass.

Do yourself a favor and lurk some more then come back and talk football with the adults. You're in over your head and wasting my time.

Dude you are out of your mind about Geno. Remember there are a lot of people in the NFL that didn't give Geno a first round grade. That cannot be said at all for Roethlisberger who was thought to be a top 5 to 10 pick and Flacco had a first round grade.
Your Geno mancrush is not doing you any justice.