ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

keg in kc 07-26-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6896523)
Just my personal take.

The second is probably on par with the the first.

Storm Of Swords is easily one of the best books I have read.

The 4th installment was a bit of a letdown compared to the high standards set by the previous books but still good.

The 'problem' with the fourth book is that he's juggling so many point of view characters that it's impossible to fit them all into a single novel. So Dance With Dragons, assuming it ever comes out, is essentially the other half of Feast for Crows.

The thing I'm really worried about is that, as with Robert Jordan, he won't be able to finish the series. He's 61, the last book was published 5 years ago, and he's supposed to write two more.

Red Brooklyn 07-26-2010 01:04 PM

I'm reading another book first, but as soon as I'm done I'll be moving on to the 2nd book of this series. I'm so excited. I can't even think about how deflated I'll feel if he never finishes the series. I can't.... I don't wanna talk about it....

NewChief 07-26-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6898980)
The 'problem' with the fourth book is that he's juggling so many point of view characters that it's impossible to fit them all into a single novel. So Dance With Dragons, assuming it ever comes out, is essentially the other half of Feast for Crows.

The thing I'm really worried about is that, as with Robert Jordan, he won't be able to finish the series. He's 61, the last book was published 5 years ago, and he's supposed to write two more.

From what I've heard, he enjoys being a successful writer much more than he actually enjoys writing anymore. I'm sure the pressure and obligation of a series of that size with a fan base as rabid as that one is stifling to creativity.

Frazod 07-26-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6896518)
Good luck with the lack of sleep these things cause.

I only read on the train or on the toilet. It'll probably take me over a month to finish this book. It's 823 pages long, I think I'm on page 80. Damn.

keg in kc 07-26-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6899027)
From what I've heard, he enjoys being a successful writer much more than he actually enjoys writing anymore. I'm sure the pressure and obligation of a series of that size with a fan base as rabid as that one is stifling to creativity.

I'm not sure that's a fair statement. You could argue that maybe he doesn't focus enough on Ice and Fire, that he spends too much time working on other projects like Wild Cards or working with Gardner Dozois or comic book projects (and now the Game of Thrones script he's working on), but I don't know that I would say that he doesn't write. Although reading his not a blog, it's pretty clear that he does consider Dance with Dragons an enormous monkey on his back.

NewChief 07-26-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6899068)
I'm not sure that's a fair statement. You could argue that maybe he doesn't focus enough on Ice and Fire, that he spends too much time working on other projects like Wild Cards or working with Gardner Dozois or comic book projects (and now the Game of Thrones script he's working on), but I don't know that I would say that he doesn't write. Although reading his not a blog, it's pretty clear that he does consider Dance with Dragons an enormous monkey on his back.

Yeah, I probably misphrased. Not that he doesn't enjoy writing. He just might not enjoy writing Ice and Fire any longer.

Lurk 07-26-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6899068)

Reading his blog is why I have lost a lot of interest in his series. The guy is a complete tool. Besides, like you have already pointed out, I don't see him finishin the series at the pace he is going and given his health condition.

keg in kc 07-26-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurk (Post 6899084)
Reading his blog is why I have lost a lot of interest in his series. The guy is a complete tool.

Sounds like me with Orson Scott Card. Can't stand that guy.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 08:17 AM

What's that old saying by, for, and about writers... ? "I don't like to write. I like to have written." Maybe that applies overwhelmingly to Mr. Martin.

But if HBO is going to do this thing, seems like that puts a lot of pressure on him to finish. S1 premieres in spring of next year right? So, they'll have to start filming S2 by fall of 2011 at the latest. If they do one season per book, and one season per year... that means he has until 2014 to finish book 5. But then he only has a few months to do 6 and 7 before their respective series' air. Yikes.

Most likely, book 5 comes out next year. He says he's already 4 or 5 chapters into book 6. So, he could probably have book 6 done before 2014. That just leaves 7 hanging in the balance.

I think the worst thing would be for the series to finish on screen and not on paper. I'd hate to have the final chapters of this thing play out on tv without being novelized first.

Frazod 07-28-2010 01:02 PM

Damn, this is great book. I may have to rethink my only reading on the train and toilet plan. :D

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6903072)
Damn, this is great book. I may have to rethink my only reading on the train and toilet plan. :D

Yeah, dude, it's epic awesomeness. How are along are you? Because that book just keeps getting better and better. It never lets up.

Frazod 07-28-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903114)
Yeah, dude, it's epic awesomeness. How are along are you? Because that book just keeps getting better and better. It never lets up.

I'm up to the aftermath of Arya beating the crap out of the prince. I'm hoping for a Lannister bloodbath soon.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 01:56 PM

I'm so excited for you! I wish I could read this book for the first time all over again.

Frazod 07-28-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6903192)
I'm so excited for you! I wish I could read this book for the first time all over again.

It reminds me of Dune.

And that's a good thing.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 02:08 PM

I need to read Dune. I've been meaning to get to it and I just keep finding other things, and bumping it further and further down my list. It might have to wait until I'm done with this series.

Just got back from the book store. A Clash Of Kings has now been purchased. Hopefully, I'll get to in the next couple of weeks.