ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Motorcyclists.. write your congressman to support S. 423 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108254)

Eleazar 01-12-2005 10:10 AM

Motorcyclists.. write your congressman to support S. 423

Got an email about this.

If you click on the link, there is a form you can use to send a letter to your congressman about supporting this bill, just takes a minute.

http://www.ama-cycle.org/news/2004/S432.asp

Quote:

Bill to close loophole related to motorcyclist health insurance passes U.S. Senate

November 23, 2004 – A bipartisan bill to end health-care discrimination against motorcyclists and ATVers has cleared the U.S. Senate.

The measure, S. 423, now goes to the House for consideration. AMA Government Relations Department officials hope the House will give final approval to the measure, and urge all motorcyclists, ATVers and others to contact their U.S. representatives to support the bill.

The measure would bar health plans from denying benefits to people injured while riding motorcycles, ATVs, horses, snowmobiles, skiing, or engaging in other legal recreational or transportation activities.

Acting in the wee hours of the morning on November 21, the Senate approved the bill by unanimous consent.

“Americans who enjoy recreational or transportation activities such as riding motorcycles should have the right to the same health insurance protection whether they are injured on their bike or in their home,” said U.S. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who co-authored the bill. “I thank the American Motorcyclist Association for their support as I drafted this legislation, which more clearly defines health insurance regulations to ensure that people participating in legal recreational and transportation activities are covered under an equal standard of protection.”

U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), who co-authored the bill, agreed.

"If Americans want to enjoy legal transportation and recreational activities, the thought of being refused medical coverage shouldn't stop them," Feingold said. "That's why I have been fighting alongside U.S. Sen. Susan Collins to pass this bill giving people the protection they deserve while taking part in activities like motorcycling, which so many people in my home state of Wisconsin enjoy."

Edward Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, and AMA Washington Representative Patrick Holtz, were elated that the Senate passed the bill, but noted more work needs to be done.

We can't let up, they said. We need to get this passed in the House.

In the House, U.S. Rep. Ted Strickland (D-Ohio) plans to work for passage of the bill.

"I am pleased that the Senate has taken action to end the discrimination in health care coverage against those participating in recreational and transportation activities," Strickland said. "I am looking forward to working with my colleagues in the House to pass (the bill) to close up the unfair HIPAA loophole that allows this discrimination."

In 1996, Congress passed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which prohibits companies from denying access to employer-sponsored health insurance for motorcyclists and those who participate in other recreational activities. However, federal regulators created a loophole that allows the denial of benefits under various conditions.

The AMA, the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, Motorcycle Industry Council and various state motorcyclists' rights organizations are working to get this loophole-closing legislation approved.

You can find out who your U.S. representative is and contact him or her to support the passage of S. 423 by going to the AMA Rapid Response Center. There, you will find a message that you can send immediately.

© 2004, American Motorcyclist Association

Radar Chief 01-12-2005 11:02 AM

Thanks for that Cochise, I’ve e-mailed the link to a few motorcyclist buddies. That should help get the word out. :thumb:

Eleazar 01-12-2005 11:05 AM

I was wondering if anyone was going to read this!

Lzen 01-12-2005 11:15 AM

Wow, I didn't realize this was a problem. I would support this bill. At the same time, I don't have a problem if the insurance companies charge higher rates for motorcylclists, especially if they don't wear a helmet.

Radar Chief 01-12-2005 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
Wow, I didn't realize this was a problem. I would support this bill. At the same time, I don't have a problem if the insurance companies charge higher rates for motorcylclists, especially if they don't wear a helmet.

It hasn’t happened to me, and I’ve been through what we’ll just call “a few” accidents, but I’ve heard of others that had their health insurance carrier refuse to pay bills because it was a motorcycle accident.
I’ve even read stories of companies refusing employment or threatening termination at least partially because the insurance carrier would up everyone’s rate because of a motorcyclist.
As far as helmets go, it doesn’t matter to me that much since I always wear mine. The only problem to me would be listening to all the other bikers biatching ‘bout it.

Eleazar 01-12-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief
It hasn’t happened to me, and I’ve been through what we’ll just call “a few” accidents, but I’ve heard of others that had their health insurance carrier refuse to pay bills because it was a motorcycle accident.
I’ve even read stories of companies refusing employment or threatening termination at least partially because the insurance carrier would up everyone’s rate because of a motorcyclist.
As far as helmets go, it doesn’t matter to me that much since I always wear mine. The only problem to me would be listening to all the other bikers biatching ‘bout it.

A few huh? :hmmm: ROFL

I heard something before that normally it was people who were individually insured or insured by employers who were self-insured, that larger insurance companies didn't do it.

I wouldn't really care if they wanted to deny someone who was without a helmet... but that wouldn't affect me either..

Radar Chief 01-12-2005 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
A few huh? :hmmm: ROFL

Yea, just “a few”. ;)

Quote:

I heard something before that normally it was people who were individually insured or insured by employers who were self-insured, that larger insurance companies didn't do it.

Could be, mostly were I’ve read of these problems is in “Letter to the editor” forums in magazines or e-zines and those guys usually get quickly pointed to the AMA, so I’m not speaking from experience.

Quote:

I wouldn't really care if they wanted to deny someone who was without a helmet... but that wouldn't affect me either.

Usually the guys grip’n ‘bout it are the same dumbazzes wearing “loud pipes save lives” t-shirts :rolleyes:, so it makes them easy to spot and ignore.

2bikemike 01-12-2005 02:19 PM

I have watched this for a while and my congressman and senators have heard from me.

Eleazar 01-12-2005 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief
Usually the guys grip’n ‘bout it are the same dumbazzes wearing “loud pipes save lives” t-shirts :rolleyes:, so it makes them easy to spot and ignore.

they aren't going to save you from someone in the next lane being a moron...

Boozer 01-12-2005 03:47 PM

So you guys are against freedom of contract? :Poke:

BIG_DADDY 01-12-2005 03:56 PM

Just sent mine and have all my motorcycle buddies doing the same. :thumb: