ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Who would you want as our next HC: Billick, Cowher or Gruden? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264570)

beach tribe 10-02-2012 01:14 PM

If Tom Caughlin was available, people would say the game has passed him by.

saphojunkie 10-02-2012 01:18 PM

The shame of it all is that Todd Haley was the right move on paper. Young, up and coming coach. It was the right idea and the wrong execution.

DaneMcCloud 10-02-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 8970699)
If Tom Caughlin was available, people would say the game has passed him by.

The difference being that Coughlin has continually coached throughout his career. Billick and Cowher have been out of the game for more than five seasons each and Gruden's been out four.

BigMeatballDave 10-02-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8970697)

I'd shit my pants if he went after Polian. I truly hope that isn't the case.

Or Charley Casserly :D

OnTheWarpath15 10-02-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8970697)
That crossed my mind but I didn't post it because I really doubt he'd go that route. I could see him reaching for Rob Ryan before Billick. I don't think Billick's undeserving by any means but I don't think he's the right guy right now for the Chiefs.

But that said, I doubt DeCosta leaves Baltimore and I seriously doubt that Clark would even attempt to pry him away because it would cost a fortune.

Considering that Clark will still owe Pioli a reported $5 million if he fires Poili at the end of 2012, I think we'll see more of an "under the radar" guy like Eliot Wolf or Marc Ross take over - a Ryan Grigson/Thomas Dimitroff kind of guy.

I'd shit my pants if he went after Polian. I truly hope that isn't the case.

I tend to agree with this. And for the record, I'd be pretty happy with a guy like Wolf if DeCosta wasn't available.

DaneMcCloud 10-02-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8970718)
The shame of it all is that Todd Haley was the right move on paper. Young, up and coming coach. It was the right idea and the wrong execution.

I'd agree but only if there was no prior connection. Hiring a guy that worked for your father-in-law isn't much of a stretch.

Dayze 10-02-2012 01:25 PM

out of that Group. Billick

Mr. Flopnuts 10-02-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 8970552)
Cowher wasn't phased out. He left after a Super Bowl because his wife died.

He would fix the defense for sure and has always drafted well.

However, NO COACH has EVER won a Super Bowl with two different franchises. Hiring one of these guys would mean you are rebuilding without the hope of winning it all. They'd likely have to pass the baton for that to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8970624)
This point needs to be repeated

And it needs to be repeated again. I haven't even allowed myself to think about it. I know people will call me nuts, but Bobby Petrino is a guy I would ABSOLUTELY talk too. Jay Gruden is another guy that intrigues me to some degree. I'd have to put some thought into it from there.

Here's the thing on Petrino. He walked into an absolutely ****ed situation in Atlanta. Yeah what he did was ****ed, but ultimately, he didn't sign up for a rebuild. The situation changed considerably when he got there. He's a helluva coach. Don't believe me? Look at Arkansas now. Same ****ing players. I think he would be successful here.

Ultimately, none of it ****ing matters without a competent QB. Notice I didn't say exceptional.

DaneMcCloud 10-02-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8970738)
I tend to agree with this. And for the record, I'd be pretty happy with a guy like Wolf if DeCosta wasn't available.

I think (and it's only speculation at this point) that Wolf would be an excellent hire. He's done a great job in Green Bay and has his father's ear. But with that said, as GM only. None of this handing the franchise over to one guy nonsense.

Clark needs to hire a football administrator to hire a football GM. That's one of the reasons I agreed with ChiefsCountry about Russ Ball yesterday. Ball would be the perfect choice as President with Wolf as his GM, then hire a coach and work as a committee instead of a dictatorship.

I realize that Clark, like his father, just wants to hire ONE GUY to run everything but that just isn't a reality in today's NFL. It's not a part time job, like it was in the 60's and 70's and it's WAY too much to handle for one guy.

I firmly believe that 2008's excellent draft class wasn't an accident: All of the draft decisions had been stripped from Carl, so Kuharich and the scouts worked with Herm to create the best draft class in decades for the Chiefs.

This is the type of scenario that needs to happen if the Chiefs to be successful moving forward.

Chiefspants 10-02-2012 01:31 PM

None of the above?

I don't understand the fascination with retread head coaches, a head coach has never won a super bowl with two different teams.

Discuss Thrower 10-02-2012 01:33 PM

If you could find a way to nail Petrino's dick to the wall and force him here for a minimum of two seasons, I'd say go for it.

It might lead to Miami Dolphins '12-'13 part 2: Electric Boogaloo, but it's better than retreads.

fan4ever 10-02-2012 01:33 PM

I would vote Gruden just to get him the fuck off MNF...I can't stand his over-hyped remarks about every player on the field...

Bump 10-02-2012 01:34 PM

honestly at this point I'd be ok with any of them. **** it.

DaneMcCloud 10-02-2012 01:35 PM

Petrino will never gain the trust of an NFL owner, ever again.

He's a brilliant offensive mind but the guy is a train wreck off the football field.

CaliforniaChief 10-02-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8970777)
Petrino will never gain the trust of an NFL owner, ever again.

He's a brilliant offensive mind but the guy is a motorcycle wreck off the football field.

FYP