ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football experts: Making the switch from left to right tackle (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270857)

RealSNR 03-07-2013 05:43 PM

Football experts: Making the switch from left to right tackle

People are throwing this idea around a lot. Donald Stephenson and Jeff Allen get a shot at starting RT. Branden Albert should move from left to right. Jake Long should sign as a RT. Meanwhile, the Packers are openly entertaining the idea of moving Bryan Bulaga to from RT to LT, figuring that their best lineman on the roster needs to play the most important position.

My only experience with watching these side switches occurred in 2002 where John Tait moved over to RT to make room for Willie Roaf. Oh, and also when Damien McIntosh moved from LT to RT to make way for Branden Albert, but nobody really gives a shit about that.

However, I do remember the John Tait thing being considered a big deal. Tait did offseason interviews at OTAs and at training camp where he explained the sheer amount of work that is involved in making the switch. It's a muscle memory thing. You're taking everything you learned how to do with your right and left hands and feet and flip-flopping it all. Not only do your responsibilities in terms of the playbook change, but the entire TECHNIQUE is different, and requires careful, repetitive drills to be hammered out so the switch goes smoothly.

So my question is am I accurate with that description of making the switch? Or am I (and Tait) blowing shit out of proportion? Because to me, it seems like Albert is pretty resistant to making that change not only for the money and for his personal pride as a premier LT in the league, but also because he probably doesn't feel like re-learning how to play the tackle position in one offseason, where he would then potentially have to leave the team if the Chiefs want to go in a different direction. Why put in the work if the results aren't worth it, after all?

penbrook 03-07-2013 05:45 PM

Per Donald Stephenson

Chiefs fans need to start giving Brandon Albert his respect.. We are blessed with one of the top LT in the league.. Show some appreciation!!

Direckshun 03-07-2013 05:51 PM

You're a teacher.

You ever given an assignment to some students who openly complained that your totally doable task was, like, totes unreasonable and that Mr. SNR is a big fat bundle of sticks who hates you and doesn't value you because he totally doesn't respect the workload he foisted upon you?

That's what your average LT having to switch to RT does.

You'll notice when RTs switch over to LT, they're almost always like "yeah, it's something you have to get used to, but you put in the hours, rely on your coaching and I'm good enough to make this work." Meanwhile LTs are like "god this is impossible -- I've spent all this time on LT and they're throwing it away so I have to learn a whole new position -- you might as well be asking me to learn Japanese, you assholes."

I've no doubt it takes getting used to. But it's probably a respect thing more than it is a technically difficult thing.

Fritz88 03-07-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9474622)
Per Donald Stephenson

Chiefs fans need to start giving Brandon Albert his respect.. We are blessed with one of the top LT in the league.. Show some appreciation!!

He doesn't want his spot threatened.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner 03-07-2013 05:53 PM

As a former wideout I know I favored one side over the other. the footwork is different, the hand work too. If you would listen to that Landry interview I posted for you, he also covers this and he is referring to the Chiefs' players talking about it. It is different. Some guys can, some cannot play both sides. Some cannot switch.

There are a lot of FA though, bet they grab a RT there on the 12th or so.

and no - it isn't a muscle memory thing because you have to master it before your body can memorize it.

Easy 6 03-07-2013 05:54 PM

Dear Donald, you are WAY late to the party, we already do, and have for the last several years.

Also, while its fashionable to hate everything ESPN, i just watched Schlereth talk about just how hard it really is to switch tackle positions... its a desperation move at best and usually isnt in the best interest of the player, particularly if he's been in the same spot for several years.

The thought of trying to switch Albert to LT? i'll have to see it to believe it... these guys cant possibly be that dumb.

Cephalic Trauma 03-07-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9474646)
As a former wideout I know I favored one side over the other. the footwork is different, the hand work too. If you would listen to that Landry interview I posted for you, he also covers this and he is referring to the Chiefs' players talking about it. It is different. Some guys can, some cannot play both sides. Some cannot switch.

There are a lot of FA though, bet they grab a RT there on the 12th or so.

and no - it isn't a muscle memory thing because you have to master it before your body can memorize it.

STFU:doh!:

pr_capone 03-07-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9474622)
Per Donald Stephenson

Mr. Stephenson:

Branden Albert is being paid top 5 LT money. If Coach Reid tell his to shag punts or block on ST... then he should be grateful for the opportunity to be paid that much money to do so. Chiefs fans have a very difficult time respecting ANY player who takes the stance of himself above the team. If moving to RT or LG improves the team... I expect him to do so while being paid more per game than the majority of us get paid per year to go to work every single day.

In the end. Branden Albert needs to cash his check and STFU. Whining on Twitter is something I would expect from a drama queen like TO. Not a professional like B. Albert.

penbrook 03-07-2013 06:04 PM

I feel that Donald Stephenson will be the RT.

-King- 03-07-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9474688)
Mr. Stephenson:

Branden Albert is being paid top 5 LT money. If Coach Reid tell his to shag punts or block on ST... then he should be grateful for the opportunity to be paid that much money to do so. Chiefs fans have a very difficult time respecting ANY player who takes the stance of himself above the team. If moving to RT or LG improves the team... I expect him to do so while being paid more per game than the majority of us get paid per year to go to work every single day.

In the end. Branden Albert needs to cash his check and STFU. Whining on Twitter is something I would expect from a drama queen like TO. Not a professional like B. Albert.

Stupid as ****.

WV 03-07-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Mr. Stephenson:

You have a point to a certain extent. Yes Albert will make a crap ton playing under the Tag, but if he switches to RT he will be costing himself money long term. I think people are glossing over this fact far too much. It's the same fight T. Suggs had when they tried to tag him as a DE instead of an OLB.
There isn't a person on this forum that would be willing to take what amounts to a demotion without bitching about it.

BlackHelicopters 03-07-2013 06:11 PM

Brandon Albert is going to Chicago?

Cephalic Trauma 03-07-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Mr. Stephenson:

Mr. Capone:

What if your employer asked you to move to a new position, where you will be paid the same, but it will severely hinder your advancement in the future, and thus, your future earnings?

In Albert's case, if he hits FA, he may be paid RT money instead of LT money, or he'll have to hope a team will pay him LT money and go from LT-->RT-->LT. That's not fair to the player.

Ace Gunner 03-07-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Mr. Stephenson:

agreed. it is not what I expected from Branden, but lately he has shown a different side of himself.

But they did not tag him to put him at RT or LG imo. Either they are going to get him to settle down and focus on his career here or they are going to trade him.

Cephalic Trauma 03-07-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9474712)
You have a point to a certain extent. Yes Albert will make a crap ton playing under the Tag, but if he switches to RT he will be costing himself money long term. I think people are glossing over this fact far too much. It's the same fight T. Suggs had when they tried to tag him as a DE instead of an OLB.
There isn't a person on this forum that would be willing to take what amounts to a demotion without bitching about it.

Great minds.