ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Ender's Game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272831)

Braincase 05-06-2013 02:27 PM

Ender's Game

The Enemy's Gate is Down!

November 1, 2013

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OHtH_RWnZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Braincase 05-06-2013 02:27 PM

Arguably the best military science fiction novel ever written. I can't wait!

The Franchise 05-06-2013 02:51 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/175...n-t-wait-o.gif

Buck 05-06-2013 02:57 PM

So the trailer comes out tomorrow.

patteeu 05-06-2013 03:18 PM

I'm ready! My understanding is that Orson Scott Card insisted on staying pretty involved in this, so I have high hopes.

I just read the wiki page and one big difference between the movie and the book is that the audience is going to know what's really going on from the beginning instead of finding out at the end when Ender finds out. For those of us who have read the book, that's probably a good thing since we already know it anyway.

keg in kc 05-06-2013 05:18 PM

I'll have a hard time deciding whether to see this or not. I enjoyed the story when I was younger, but, frankly, I don't want to give Orson Scott Card any of my money at this point. He's certainly welcome to his views on various social issues (homosexuality and gay marriage in particular), I think he has every right to express those views since he's earned himself a platform through his success, and I would never downplay the importance of the novel/series in 20th century Science Fiction, but I think in the end those views will ultimately keep me out of the theater. That may seem odd to some, or silly, but the fact remains that I have a gay sibling and I care much more about her and her partner than I do Card or anything he's written. So that's where my support would lie.

hometeam 05-06-2013 05:54 PM

Me and a guy at work where just talking about this very thing today, and how we had heard rumors of a movie but hadn't seen anything come to light.

I read the series when I was maybe 14 or 15. It really solidified my love of Sci Fi books. Absolutely epic and great story.

hometeam 05-06-2013 05:59 PM

I just hope its not been bastardized~

patteeu 05-06-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9663123)
I'll have a hard time deciding whether to see this or not. I enjoyed the story when I was younger, but, frankly, I don't want to give Orson Scott Card any of my money at this point. He's certainly welcome to his views on various social issues (homosexuality and gay marriage in particular), I think he has every right to express those views since he's earned himself a platform through his success, and I would never downplay the importance of the novel/series in 20th century Science Fiction, but I think in the end those views will ultimately keep me out of the theater. That may seem odd to some, or silly, but the fact remains that I have a gay sibling and I care much more about her and her partner than I do Card or anything he's written. So that's where my support would lie.

I respect whatever choice you end up making. I'd have to swear off nearly all entertainment if I couldn't divorce my attitude toward an artist's politics and their product. Even in this project, I'm sure it's filled with people with whom I disagree.

I tend to agree with OSC on politics (although I do disagree with him to some extent on gay marriage).

I'd see Ender's Game even if I was gay myself though. :)

keg in kc 05-06-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9663247)
I respect whatever choice you end up making. I'd have to swear off nearly all entertainment if I couldn't divorce my attitude toward an artist's politics and their product. Even in this project, I'm sure it's filled with people with whom I disagree.

I tend to agree with OSC on politics (although I do disagree with him to some extent on gay marriage).

I'd see Ender's Game even if I was gay myself though. :)

As you probably know, I'm not a very political guy. I think it's more an question of how overt it is with me. I don't particularly care what people's political views are, in a general sense. I have liberal friends, I have conservative friends, and I don't really give a shit either way. But when someone steps on a soapbox and chooses to make some specific thing a big issue, then, well, it sorta becomes a big issue. And Card has for whatever reason made homosexuality and gay marriage his 'big deal'.

I won't discourage anyone else from going, but I probably won't myself. Unless it gets reviewed really, really well. Quality can trump bullshit. At least I think it says that on the back of my Apathy Party membership card. If they ever got around to making one.

Rain Man 05-06-2013 06:43 PM

I read this book, but I never quite understood why it was so well regarded. I think there are better scifi books out there.

Give me a movie version of Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle, for example. Now that would be a movie.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-06-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9662733)
I'm ready! My understanding is that Orson Scott Card insisted on staying pretty involved in this, so I have high hopes.

I just read the wiki page and one big difference between the movie and the book is that the audience is going to know what's really going on from the beginning instead of finding out at the end when Ender finds out. For those of us who have read the book, that's probably a good thing since we already know it anyway.

As long as Ender doesn't know I can find that an acceptable compromise, although a bit expositorily lazy, honestly.

BucEyedPea 05-06-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9662365)
Arguably the best military science fiction novel ever written. I can't wait!

That's my daughter's favorite sci-fi novel.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-06-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9663301)
I read this book, but I never quite understood why it was so well regarded. I think there are better scifi books out there.

Give me a movie version of Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle, for example. Now that would be a movie.

Whenever it comes to any text there will always be an impossibility of reaching a consensus of what is "good", "great", or "better". One of the reasons why I think Ender's Game was so well received is because it transcends the genre of science fiction. It's not as artfully written as Neuromancer, but I think the themes present within EG allow for a level of discussion and analysis that many pieces of popular fiction don't.

I've actually taught it in an American Lit course in the past.

ChiefsFanatic 05-07-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9663301)

I always wanted to see an epic movie, or maybe a mini-series of The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.