ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson after OTA's (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208030)

Titty Meat 05-23-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 5787994)
:rolleyes:

Hard to put up monster stats when you have to cover a tight end all game. Gun never used him right.

So he should have been blitzing the QB? In order to be a good blitzer don't you have to shed blocks?

bowener 05-23-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBK (Post 5787368)
Maybe in a different scheme he'll look like a different LB. It would be nice for a couple of guys, especially him, to flourish in our new scheme--it would be almost like getting extra draft picks.

Or we can pretend that we traded away our decent but not great LB, for one that looks the same and has the same name, only plays a lot better.

edit:

After watching the video our newly acquired LB that we got for swapping DJ doesn't look quite the same, this new one looks relieved to be playing a LB position where he has more freedom to roam and use his speed and physical gifts like he did in college.

Blick 05-23-2009 03:41 PM

I liked how DJ said it's similar to what he did in college. Hopefully that means he'll make more plays. I have high hopes for him. I think he can definitely do what Dansby did for Arizona. With his talent, he could be better.

Tribal Warfare 05-23-2009 04:04 PM

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

looking at the sheer statline The Cardinals didn't do too bad in the Pendergast system. So I don't know why people are bitching about concerning who's calling the plays for the defense.

Touchdown Bowe 05-23-2009 04:09 PM

Derrick Johnson has talent..but going to college at Texas (aka home of the bust) and being poorly coached under Gunther over the last several years hasnt helped him develop into a true NFL linebacker.

Halfcan 05-23-2009 04:52 PM

DJ has done everything Gun asked him to do. He is a class act and a great player. This can't shed block talk left over from the draft is just reeruned.

milkman 05-23-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 5787999)
So he should have been blitzing the QB? In order to be a good blitzer don't you have to shed blocks?

With his speed, he can be an effective blitzer, but he's not a guy that should be going after the QB on a regular basis.

milkman 05-23-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 5788201)
DJ has done everything Gun asked him to do. He is a class act and a great player. This can't shed block talk left over from the draft is just reeruned.

No it isn't reeruned.
DJ is not a physical player.

If he is engaged by a blocker then he is effectively neutralized.

In order to be effective, he needs the line in front of him to occupy blockers so he can run to the ballcarrier.

googlegoogle 05-23-2009 06:37 PM

Above average player.

That's about all.

He was drafted because of his 40 time and size.

Tribal Warfare 05-23-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlegoogle (Post 5788338)
Above average player.

That's about all.

He was drafted because of his 40 time and size.

He was also the Butkus Award winner, and once talked about being the number one overall player taken in the '05 draft.

Nightfyre 05-23-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5788328)
No it isn't reeruned.
DJ is not a physical player.

If he is engaged by a blocker then he is effectively neutralized.

In order to be effective, he needs the line in front of him to occupy blockers so he can run to the ballcarrier.

Just like every other LB'er in the league. Its hard to move guys that are 100 pounds up on you.

milkman 05-23-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 5788355)
Just like every other LB'er in the league. Its hard to move guys that are 100 pounds up on you.

True.

But there are some who are better at shedding blocks than others.

DJ's strength is his speed and ability to move in space.

Nightfyre 05-23-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5788359)
True.

But there are some who are better at shedding blocks than others.

DJ's strength is his speed and ability to move in space.

So he should be more effective in a two-gap 3-4 if the scheme is correctly implemented. Just my take.

milkman 05-23-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 5788363)
So he should be more effective in a two-gap 3-4 if the scheme is correctly implemented. Just my take.

Agreed.

So what are we arguing about?

Nightfyre 05-23-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5788366)
Agreed.

So what are we arguing about?

I dunno. Thats what I was realizing when I was typing my last post.