ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Pappy's Smokehouse in STL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273835)

zigbazah 06-15-2013 12:48 AM

Pappy's Smokehouse in STL

I'm in STL this weekend, and due to great reviews from Zagat, USA Today, Yelp, Food Network etc, decided to try this place. When I walked in, the line was long. They have pictures of celeb customers on the walls. Holy ****in Batman... this place was a huge let down. The beans, corn and sauces were alright, but the meats were something shocking. There was no smokey flavor or any resemblance of a smoke ring on anything. The brisket, particularly, tasted like rubber roast beef. I understand a restaurant not quite living up to hype, but this was mind-boggling. Have these reviewers and celebs ever tasted remotely decent BBQ before? Shit, I'm pissed. :cuss:

crazycoffey 06-15-2013 01:57 AM

Q

TribalElder 06-15-2013 05:07 AM

So glad I didn't drive down ther a couple weekends ago. Ha!

movinbones 06-15-2013 06:46 AM

BBQ sucks here in StL

I'm 1/4 in Memphis too...
Rendezvous - terrible dirty tourist trap
Germantown Commissary - bad sauce and fatty meat

Went to 2 chains
BB Kings-- maybe the most disgusting place I've ever ate.

Corky's - was a winner .. I really enjoyed this place in Cordova but I believe it's a chain...idk

Mama Hip Rockets 06-15-2013 07:03 AM

I really liked Pappy's when I went there. Probably in my top 5 overall.

kcchiefs88 06-15-2013 07:41 AM

I went there a while back. Very disappointed to say the least. Probably will never go back.

Fritz88 06-15-2013 08:31 AM

It was okay. I didn't try the ribs or pork.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief 06-15-2013 08:38 AM

Does anyone from KC ever try BBQ anywhere else and say anything other than, "this sucks compared to KC que"?

I don't get it. I got plenty of love for all styles of Q.

TribalElder 06-15-2013 08:42 AM

KC BBQ Snob Mob

ILChief 06-15-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9753329)
Does anyone from KC ever try BBQ anywhere else and say anything other than, "this sucks compared to KC que"?

I don't get it. I got plenty of love for all styles of Q.

This. I've had great BBQ in many parts of the country

Mi_chief_fan 06-15-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movinbones (Post 9753285)
BBQ sucks here in StL

I'm 1/4 in Memphis too...
Rendezvous - terrible dirty tourist trap
Germantown Commissary - bad sauce and fatty meat

Went to 2 chains
BB Kings-- maybe the most disgusting place I've ever ate.

Corky's - was a winner .. I really enjoyed this place in Cordova but I believe it's a chain...idk

Corky's is ok for a chain; should've went to Interstate.

Dave Lane 06-15-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9753351)
This. I've had BBQ in many parts of the country

FYP

I've had plenty of BBQ elsewhere in the world, some was ok. Never had great BBQ elsewhere most KC BBQ isn't great either.

movinbones 06-15-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9753423)
Corky's is ok for a chain; should've went to Interstate.

I will check it out next visit.. I'm going to Mizzou game at Ole Miss this fall and staying in Memphis on the way.

In StL J.Bucks by Busch Stadium actually has some pretty good BBQ. Pretty cool restaurant and bar to hit pregame.

crazycoffey 06-15-2013 12:11 PM

Highway 61 roadhouse, has good smoked meats. Most of the menu is Cajun though. But sliced brisket is very good. I heard through the grapevine they are one of the contracted food services to the rams, and hey were featured on something "dinners and dives", I haven't seen it yet though.

Oh they also have an awesome side dish that makes a great snack, BBQ speggetti. Pulled pork BBQ sauce and spaghetti noodles.

Scott Pilgrim 06-15-2013 12:14 PM

I hate all of you. but more seriously Im going to be in KC next week give me the one place to change my mind