ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel leaked (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252986)

Sure-Oz 06-10-2012 11:29 AM

Going in a bit to see in imax3d...caught it in 2d and loved the visuals.

Stoked.

Valiant 06-10-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8669266)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

keg in kc 06-10-2012 12:47 PM

Just saw it. Leaning somewhere in the area of 'okay' to 'mildly disappointing'. Visually stunning with some really cool sequences, and the main concept of a progenitor race is a theory I've always liked, but the storytelling in a general sense just wasn't very good. The only way I can think of to characterize it is ham-fisted. There was no finesse, no style or elegance to it. No meaningful reveals because everything that happened was obvious from very early in the film (although I will say they did a surprisingly good job with the trailers; didn't give away nearly as much there as I thought). It wasn't bad per se. Just sort of like hoping you're going to get a Chimay and somebody hands you a Coors light. Drinkable, but disappointing. Oddly enough, while I was watching, the movie that it reminded me of was Event Horizon. Cool concept in theory, not quite all it should have been in execution.

(note: I'm relating the thoughts and reactions I had while watching both films, not saying Prometheus = Event Horizon; Prometheus was much better than that...)

Frazod 06-10-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8670977)
Just saw it. Leaning somewhere in the area of 'okay' to 'mildly disappointing'. Visually stunning with some really cool sequences, and the main concept of a progenitor race is a theory I've always liked, but the storytelling in a general sense just wasn't very good. The only way I can think of to characterize it is ham-fisted. There was no finesse, no style or elegance to it. No meaningful reveals because everything that happened was obvious from very early in the film (although I will say they did a surprisingly good job with the trailers; didn't give away nearly as much there as I thought). It wasn't bad per se. Just sort of like hoping you're going to get a Chimay and somebody hands you a Coors light. Drinkable, but disappointing. Oddly enough, while I was watching, the movie that it reminded me of was Event Horizon. Cool concept in theory, not quite all it should have been in execution.

(note: I'm relating the thoughts and reactions I had while watching both films, not saying Prometheus = Event Horizon; Prometheus was much better than that...)

I'm surprised by this - I obviously loved it. Made me want to watch Lawrence of Arabia again, too.

Didn't really pick up more from the first time, except
Spoiler!

keg in kc 06-10-2012 01:10 PM

I thought that seemed pretty clearly to be the case.

Bowser 06-10-2012 01:18 PM

The one thing that may be holding you up from thinking it was a "great" film might be the way they left it wide open for a sequel,and possibly, all of this talk about it being a prequel. It was, but not in a way that would give definite relationship to the Alien movies, therefore not living up to preconceived notions?

Frazod 06-10-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8671052)
I thought that seemed pretty clearly to be the case.

Yeah, I just didn't notice it first time around. Sometimes I get so lost in the visuals that I miss things. I've probably seen Watchmen five or six times and I still notice little things I hadn't caught before.

Buck 06-10-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8671043)
I'm surprised by this - I obviously loved it. Made me want to watch Lawrence of Arabia again, too.

Didn't really pick up more from the first time, except
Spoiler!

I didn't even really think of that.

How did you like the IMAX 3D?

Frazod 06-10-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8671065)
The one thing that may be holding you up from thinking it was a "great" film might be the way they left it wide open for a sequel,and possibly, all of this talk about it being a prequel. It was, but not in a way that would give definite relationship to the Alien movies, therefore not living up to preconceived notions?

Spoiler!

Frazod 06-10-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8671070)
I didn't even really think of that.

How did you like the IMAX 3D?

It was pretty bad ass. I sat right in front, too.

keg in kc 06-10-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Nah, it doesn't have anything to do with that. They've said from the beginning it wasn't a direct prequel and I believed them.

What I didn't like was basically lazy storytelling. Coincidences and convenient setups, poorly done foreshadowing and reveals, and particularly people doing things people wouldn't ever do facing the situation in 'real life' (this is important - you want to suspend disbelief but people still have to react in a believable way).

Beef number 1: taking off their damn helmets. That was just dumb. And when I say it was dumb, I mean the writing. That's like bad horror movie level stuff.

There was a lot more, to go into any details would be serious spoiler territory, but the short list would be splitting up the group the way they did, introducing infertility when and how they did, basically everything David did, basically all of Vickers and finally the way that for the entire movie, nearly every character was a cliche, there was no real development for anybody but Shaw (and hers wasn't done very well; not organic at all, stuff just kept getting introduced in nonsensical leaps), everyone else was a cardboard cutout that was there only to set up their death scene.

keg in kc 06-10-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8671082)
It was pretty bad ass. I sat right in front, too.

You and me both. I was front and center, feet propped up on the railing. Favorite spot in the house.

Buck 06-10-2012 01:31 PM

Alright, I'm done with spoiler tags. The movie has been out 3 days.

Are we to assume that each of the other ship bases (I think we saw 3 or 4) didn't have a hibernating engineer in them? Also it seemed like the one ship had 3 or 4 hibernation pods, and there was only 1 engineer in that one.

I don't see why each base/ship wouldn't have at least 1 hibernating engineer (along with all the jars) in it. So do you think that Shaw and David had to take care of an Engineer before they got the ship airborn or do you think that there was only 1 engineer left on the planet?

Frazod 06-10-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8671094)
Alright, I'm done with spoiler tags. The movie has been out 3 days.

Are we to assume that each of the other ship bases (I think we saw 3 or 4) didn't have a hibernating engineer in them? Also it seemed like the one ship had 3 or 4 hibernation pods, and there was only 1 engineer in that one.

I don't see why each base/ship wouldn't have at least 1 hibernating engineer (along with all the jars) in it. So do you think that Shaw and David had to take care of an Engineer before they got the ship airborn or do you think that there was only 1 engineer left on the planet?

I'm still going to use the spoiler tags for another couple of days.

Spoiler!

Hammock Parties 06-10-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

There will definitely be a sequel.

Can't ****ing wait. No one makes movies like Ridley Scott. Even when they suck, I'm in a trance. That includes Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood.