ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Microwave cooking (not reheating) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268620)

Graystoke 01-08-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9296572)
I'm not arguing about the use of microwaves Mr. FAX, I'm just stating ducks should die.

I take itthue wth thaaaaaaaaaattttt

http://dakiniland.files.wordpress.co...fy_duck_14.jpg

Fire Me Boy! 01-08-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9296567)
I'm thinking of Jeff Goldbloom explaining the teleporter in The Fly. How he makes Geena Davis eat a steak that has been teleported. I"m guessing that's about the same as microwaving one.

Did you read the article? It doesn't suggest that the microwave is for everything, but rather certain foods and specific applications.

For instance, using the microwave to fry parsley leaves for garnish (doing so with just a little cooking spray) or for dehydrating - not good for jerky, quite good for apples. Or steamed fish with scallions and ginger.

Quote:

During my first try, with a bass fillet, the bag exploded; when water boils and becomes steam, it expands in volume by a factor of 1,600 (Mr. Myhrvold explained that one liter of water becomes 1,600 liters of steam), so excess air will heighten the risk of popping. I was left with a wheezing bag and fish chunks. On the next try, with a whole bass, I removed as much air as possible from the bag before nuking. Success.

On went the soy sauce dressing. The dish looked and smelled professionally prepared. The flesh was perfectly cooked, the taste fabulous — an elegant weeknight dinner in no time. Cleanup was nil (I simply tossed the plastic bag), and my apartment didn’t smell fishy.

tooge 01-08-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9296588)
Did you read the article? It doesn't suggest that the microwave is for everything, but rather certain foods and specific applications.

For instance, using the microwave to fry parsley leaves for garnish (doing so with just a little cooking spray) or for dehydrating - not good for jerky, quite good for apples. Or steamed fish with scallions and ginger.

Yeah, I read it. I'm trying to think of the last time I needed crispy parsley on anything. I'm also trying to figure out the last time I enjoyed steamed fish more than grilled fish. I'm in the warm up a piece of pizza or leftover soup camp on this one.

FAX 01-08-2013 02:22 PM

I fear that, before long, we will be eating crispy parsley for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Could this be the end of creamed corn? I shudder at the thought.

FAX

DaveNull 01-08-2013 02:24 PM

Sponge cake out of a microwave is quite good. That technique was shown on the new Mind of a Chef show.

It's good, if you haven't seen it.

tooge 01-08-2013 02:25 PM

also, you can use your regular oven and make jerky or dried fruit without having to "dab" it off or making a mess. Simply set your oven around 150-170 degrees, crack the door open with a piece of balled up foil, and put it directly on the oven racks. Put some foil on the bottom rack to collect drippings. Great Jerky.

FAX 01-08-2013 02:28 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think sponge cake and crispy parsley compliment each other very well.

FAX

FAX 01-08-2013 02:34 PM

As fate would have it, I happen to have the television thing on at the moment and they are presenting the movie, "Zombie Apocalypse".

Interestingly, the zombie's skin looks almost exactly like crispy parsley.

FAX

ptlyon 01-08-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9296652)
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think sponge cake and crispy parsley compliment each other very well.

FAX

You'd never make it on Chopped, Mr. FAX

Fire Me Boy! 01-08-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9296613)
Yeah, I read it. I'm trying to think of the last time I needed crispy parsley on anything. I'm also trying to figure out the last time I enjoyed steamed fish more than grilled fish. I'm in the warm up a piece of pizza or leftover soup camp on this one.

For me, pizza in the microwave is awful. I'm in the reheat pizza in the oven camp.

:)

ptlyon 01-08-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9296728)
For me, pizza in the microwave is awful. I'm in the reheat pizza in the oven camp.

:)

If you have a wacker wave that has a pizza button, it does wonders

htismaqe 01-08-2013 02:47 PM

Use aluminum foil. Works great.

Fire Me Boy! 01-08-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9296636)
also, you can use your regular oven and make jerky or dried fruit without having to "dab" it off or making a mess. Simply set your oven around 150-170 degrees, crack the door open with a piece of balled up foil, and put it directly on the oven racks. Put some foil on the bottom rack to collect drippings. Great Jerky.

For jerky, I don't use heat at all.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136735
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ml?rsrc=search

Great Expectations 01-08-2013 03:05 PM

Re-heated pizza in the microwave is awful. Put it cold in a cold oven directly on a rack, start the oven at 350 and when it is finished preheating the pizza should be perfect.

I like the idea of frying certain herbs in a microwave, save some oil and increase flavor. I'd worry about the parsley or whatever losing too much moisture though.

ptlyon 01-08-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 9296855)
Re-heated pizza in the microwave is awful. Put it cold in a cold oven directly on a rack, start the oven at 350 and when it is finished preheating the pizza should be perfect.

I like the idea of frying certain herbs in a microwave, save some oil and increase flavor. I'd worry about the parsley or whatever losing too much moisture though.

No, really. A microwave with a pizza reheat button works pretty well.

I do agree with you on your second point tho :bong: