ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Schefter- "Barkley Late first-round pick" Smith scouts "aren't completely wowed" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267409)

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-05-2012 09:19 PM

Schefter- "Barkley Late first-round pick" Smith scouts "aren't completely wowed"

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on Mike & Mike Wednesday morning that USC QB Matt Barkley is viewed around the NFL as a "late first-round pick."
Schefter cited a relatively weak incoming quarterback class as reasons for Alex Smith and Michael Vick to "absolutely" have strong offseason markets. Smith is a trade candidate, while Vick is expected to be released after the Super Bowl. Per Schefter, Heisman finalist Collin Klein is viewed as a "late-round pick," and scouts "aren't completely wowed" by West Virginia QB Geno Smith. Barkley showed underwhelming arm strength as a college senior and was interception prone. We wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the second round

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7421/matt-barkley

HoneyBadger 12-05-2012 09:22 PM

Looks like we're going to reach...again.

SAUTO 12-05-2012 09:22 PM

But you said Barkley was the bestest
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC 12-05-2012 09:24 PM

More reason for kc to draft a linemen. We have a strong losing tradition to maintain.

Hammock Parties 12-05-2012 09:24 PM

I bet we take Tyler Wilson.

And I'm just fine with that.

Rasputin 12-05-2012 09:28 PM

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...74/SUICIDE.jpg

Hammock Parties 12-05-2012 09:30 PM

Chill out. Clark is going to demand a QB.

Mr_Tomahawk 12-05-2012 09:34 PM

okcchief 12-05-2012 09:36 PM

I've never been impressed with Barkley though. I don't think he's any better than Landry Jones. Geno all the way.

TRR 12-05-2012 09:38 PM

Geno is a guy who will WOW at the combine. He will measure well, speak even better, and he will perform fantastically in shorts and a t-shirt.

His resume speaks for itself.

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 09:38 PM

oh no, it risky

Rasputin 12-05-2012 09:38 PM

Am I missing something?

What does Geno Smith have to do to WOW the scouts?

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 09:38 PM

if you aren't impressed with smith you're an asshole

DaneMcCloud 12-05-2012 09:55 PM

For the 10 millionth time, it's ridiculous to get caught up in measurables before the Combine.

RunKC 12-05-2012 09:56 PM

Pioli has reached every year to fill a need in the first round. I fully expect him to draft a QB if he's still here.

SAUTO 12-05-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9184006)
Pioli has reached every year to fill a need in the first round. I fully expect him to draft a QB if he's still here.

Baldwin was a reach? Berry?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 12-05-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9184006)

Pioli reached on Berry?

Pioli reached on Baldwin?

I don't like the work he's done in Kansas City but that's just ****ing stupid.

O.city 12-05-2012 09:58 PM

I'm not comparing the players at all, but #'s wise, Geno has put up virtually identical numbers to RGIII last season, in the same conference.

petegz28 12-05-2012 09:59 PM

I don't think any of the QB's are worth a #1-#5 pick. I would like to see us trade down, get another 1st, and draft the QB later in the 1st along with another impact player.

AustinChief 12-05-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9184002)
For the 10 millionth time, it's ridiculous to get caught up in measurables before the Combine.

This. (10 million and 1)

O.city 12-05-2012 10:00 PM

QB's, like it or not, are going to go in the top 5 from here out.

It's pretty much just the way things are.

Too many people have their "Luck" goggles on. Like Boss said in another thread, this time last year, RGIII had nearly the same grades as Geno.

Ace Gunner 12-05-2012 10:00 PM

hahahahaha

AustinChief 12-05-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9184019)
I don't think any of the QB's are worth a #1-#5 pick. I would like to see us trade down, get another 1st, and draft the QB later in the 1st along with another impact player.

I highly doubt after the combine that a QB won't emerge as a top 5 guy ... but if so, than I have no problem trading down as long as we still pick one of the top 2 or 3 QBs. Again, I highly doubt this will be the case. Somebody SHOULD emerge as a clear top 5 pick by the time we draft.

RunKC 12-05-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9184015)
Pioli reached on Berry?

Pioli reached on Baldwin?

I don't like the work he's done in Kansas City but that's just ****ing stupid.

Safety=not worth that high of a pick.

Baldwin=attitude problems moved him to an early 2nd round draft prospect.

/draft analysts

SAUTO 12-05-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9184033)

/draft analysts

Not true
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 12-05-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

/draft analysts

LMAO

RunKC 12-05-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9184034)
Not true
Posted via Mobile Device

You don't remember all the draft analysts telling us to draft Russell Okung instead of Eric Berry because of positional value?

I'm glad we took Berry though.

Mr_Tomahawk 12-05-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

/draft analysts

You're ****ing reeruned.

O.city 12-05-2012 10:06 PM

Safety is absolutely worth that high of a pick, in todays NFL.

QB, LT, Pass rusher, Secondary.

SAUTO 12-05-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9184037)
You don't remember all the draft analysts telling us to draft Russell Okung instead of Eric Berry because of positional value?

I'm glad we took Berry though.

no. I remember them saying w would take a tackle, just like every ****ing year
Posted via Mobile Device

UL Washington 12-05-2012 10:08 PM

There will be a combine superstar that will emerge as the number 1 it happens every year. Could very easily be Smith...

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 10:11 PM

smith did the same thing to oklahoma that RG3 did...he just has the worst d in the country, so they lost

his 4th quarter ass raping of the 8th ranked pass defense in the country should 'wow' anyone who isn't a ****ing dill hole...

his pass from his own endzone, with the pocket collapsing, between 3 defenders, is as clutch and fine a pass as any QB threw this year...if that doesn't 'wow' you then you should off yourself along with black reerun...

RealSNR 12-05-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9184019)

Eat glass shards you piece of AIDS

RunKC 12-05-2012 10:14 PM

Barkley is gonna move up the board a bit after the combine. Teams will love him after they interview him.

Don't see him going in the late first with so many QB needy teams. Probably teens.

Hammock Parties 12-05-2012 10:15 PM

I bet Barkey's stock drops after his combine workout.

He'll probably run a 5.1 40 or something shitty.

RealSNR 12-05-2012 10:16 PM

He'll also do extremely poorly at the not going bald exercise at the combine.

O.city 12-05-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184065)
I bet Barkey's stock drops after his combine workout.

He'll probably run a 5.1 40 or something shitty.

No , that won't matter.

When he measures in at 6 foot flat and has a busted shoulder still will likely do the trick.

Buckweath 12-05-2012 10:16 PM

When youre the Chiefs there s no such thing as reaching for a QB. The more desperate this team is to get that future elite QB the better if you ask me.

Frankie 12-05-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9183902)
ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on Mike & Mike Wednesday morning that USC QB Matt Barkley is viewed around the NFL as a "late first-round pick."
Schefter cited a relatively weak incoming quarterback class as reasons for Alex Smith and Michael Vick to "absolutely" have strong offseason markets. Smith is a trade candidate, while Vick is expected to be released after the Super Bowl. Per Schefter, Heisman finalist Collin Klein is viewed as a "late-round pick," and scouts "aren't completely wowed" by West Virginia QB Geno Smith. Barkley showed underwhelming arm strength as a college senior and was interception prone. We wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the second round

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7421/matt-barkley

A bit of validation for my push for a trade down to get Geno at value. Frankly, admittedly based on yet incomplete data I would be perfectly happy with either Murray or Wilson at value than drafting Geno at the top of the draft.

This last scenario is gradually becoming my favorite one. Maybe trading the top pick to someone head over heals in love with Jarvis Jones and use the later round one pick or our top 2nd on, say, Murray.

hometeam 12-05-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9184077)
A bit of validation for my push for a trade down to get Geno at value. Frankly, admittedly based on yet incomplete data I would be perfectly happy with either Murray or Wilson at value than drafting Geno at the top of the draft.

This last scenario is gradually becoming my favorite one. Maybe trading the top pick to someone head over heals in love with Jarvis Jones and use the later round one pick or our top 2nd on, say, Murray.

The moment you trade down is the moment some other franchise with balls takes Geno.

O.city 12-05-2012 10:20 PM

I don't get this value shit.

You know whats valuable? A franchise QB.

Those tend to be drafted pretty early in the draft. Why risk trading down and missing out on your guy?

If you like the guy enough to draft him at say 4 or 5, then for **** sake, draft him at 1.

Frankie 12-05-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9184060)

LOL, smash another window for me, because I agree with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9184079)
The moment you trade down is the moment some other franchise with balls takes Geno.

That's fine. I'm not a Geno or bust guy. At least not yet.

Buckweath 12-05-2012 10:21 PM

CHiefs fans WHO want anything else than to draft the best available QB with our first round pick are DUMB DUMB DUMB.

suds79 12-05-2012 10:21 PM

Matt Barkley becomes less & less intriguing to me by the day.

I've simply had my fill of weak armed Chiefs QBs. It's as simple as that.

Right now give anybody over Barkley.

Geno, Wilson, Bray, Glennon. I just want to see something different.

O.city 12-05-2012 10:22 PM

With all this draft stuff popping up, lets play a little game. Name this player, based on his pre draft analysis.

POSITIVES: Athletic passer with the physical skills and mental intangibles needed to lead a franchise at the next level. Quickly sets up in the pocket, sells ball fakes and technically very sound. Poised under the rush, steps up to avoid defenders and works to keep the play alive. Patient, buys time in the pocket and waits for receivers to come free. Does an excellent job with his reads and natural looking off the safety. Does not make mental errors and throws the ball away rather than toss the errant pass. Times the short and intermediate throws well, as receivers rarely wait for the ball out of their breaks. Outstanding vision and immediately spots the open receiver. Possesses a quick release, live arm and zips the outs or gets the ball downfield. Throws with touch. Sits in the pocket and takes a big hit in order to get the pass off. Fleet-footed and picks up yardage with his legs when necessary.

NEGATIVES: Though accurate, lacks top pass placement and has receivers extending vertically to pull the ball out of the air. Must improve his accuracy down the field. Lacks top footwork releasing the ball off a three step drop. Lacks pocket stature.

Hammock Parties 12-05-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9184060)

ROFL

Does AIDs come in pieces?

DaneMcCloud 12-05-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9184084)

I'm not sure if they're "worth it" according to the Jimmy Johnson draft choice scale that everyone uses.

But IMO, it's worth it for the Chiefs to draft Smith or Barkley or whoever else is deemed the #1 overall QB.

RunKC 12-05-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9184069)
He'll also do extremely poorly at the not going bald exercise at the combine.

Yes that's clearly his biggest weakness. He'll never go do well because of that. :rolleyes:

hometeam 12-05-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9184090)
With all this draft stuff popping up, lets play a little game. Name this player, based on his pre draft analysis.

POSITIVES: Athletic passer with the physical skills and mental intangibles needed to lead a franchise at the next level. Quickly sets up in the pocket, sells ball fakes and technically very sound. Poised under the rush, steps up to avoid defenders and works to keep the play alive. Patient, buys time in the pocket and waits for receivers to come free. Does an excellent job with his reads and natural looking off the safety. Does not make mental errors and throws the ball away rather than toss the errant pass. Times the short and intermediate throws well, as receivers rarely wait for the ball out of their breaks. Outstanding vision and immediately spots the open receiver. Possesses a quick release, live arm and zips the outs or gets the ball downfield. Throws with touch. Sits in the pocket and takes a big hit in order to get the pass off. Fleet-footed and picks up yardage with his legs when necessary.

NEGATIVES: Though accurate, lacks top pass placement and has receivers extending vertically to pull the ball out of the air. Must improve his accuracy down the field. Lacks top footwork releasing the ball off a three step drop. Lacks pocket stature.

I googled it~

ChiefsCountry 12-05-2012 10:26 PM

Smith has the physical attributes. Barkley has the intangables. We really can't go wrong with either one.

hometeam 12-05-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9184103)
Smith has the physical attributes. Barkley has the intangables. We really can't go wrong with either one.

Intangibles can suck it.

RealSNR 12-05-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9184084)

That's fine. I'm not a Geno or bust guy. At least not yet.

O.City just said it pretty well.

There's no such thing as value anymore. The stakes of whiffing on a top first round pick have never been lower. Especially for QBs, since the NFL is turning into such a QB-friendly league.

High ceilings and potential should be #1 on a team's brain when they're drafting in the top 10. Meaning for us:

What do we stand to gain by drafting a Jarvis Jones who plays to the top of his potential?

What do we stand to gain by drafting a Geno Smith who plays at the top of his potential?

Guess what we stand to lose by drafting either player when they bust?

THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT- A PISSED AWAY DRAFT PICK.

So take the QB. Each and every ****ing time.

Buckweath 12-05-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9184103)

Does Cassell have the intangibles?

O.city 12-05-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9184101)
I googled it~

Made a thread out of it, keep your trap shut.

O.city 12-05-2012 10:30 PM

Say you draft Teo. Whats the absolute best scenario you can get out of that? Can a MLB Ted backer in a 34 scheme carry you to where you wanna go?

RealSNR 12-05-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184091)
ROFL

Does AIDs come in pieces?

It does when fans are so goddamn miserable that they actually give a **** about draft value when searching for the future franchise QB.

One of two results is going to happen:
A. The Chiefs hit on their franchise QB
B. The Chiefs bust on their franchise QB

That extra draft value has NOTHING to do with the outcome of the above answer. All it does is put our decision at risk for busting because we probably won't be able to pick the best guy.

RealSNR 12-05-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9184115)
Say you draft Teo. Whats the absolute best scenario you can get out of that? Can a MLB Ted backer in a 34 scheme carry you to where you wanna go?

I don't know. I'd like to phone a friend on that one.

Call my buddy Tyson Jackson, Regis.

O.city 12-05-2012 10:33 PM

Value mattered when you were slotting guys at huge amounts of money when they hadn't played a down.

Now, it doesn't matter at all.

But what does matter? Getting a ****ing Qb to lead this team for the next decade.

Which might explain why damn near every redraft has QB's going at the top of every draft.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-05-2012 10:34 PM

**** this thread with the might of 10 Chocolate Peniis

O.city 12-05-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9184126)
I don't know. I'd like to phone a friend on that one.

Call my buddy Tyson Jackson, Regis.

I'm just amazed at this shitty line of thinking.

You want a leader on defense? Fine, I get that. It's a big concern for me.

But you don't spend a top 3 pick on a ****ing player that will play a position that's probably the 7 or 8 most important on your defense.

aturnis 12-05-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9184050)
smith did the same thing to oklahoma that RG3 did...he just has the worst d in the country, so they lost

his 4th quarter ass raping of the 8th ranked pass defense in the country should 'wow' anyone who isn't a ****ing dill hole...

his pass from his own endzone, with the pocket collapsing, between 3 defenders, is as clutch and fine a pass as any QB threw this year...if that doesn't 'wow' you then you should off yourself along with black reerun...

The only criticism I've read of Geno, that actually gives a reason is that he doesn't read defenses. Though, in as many offenses as he's run, he's certainly been asked to do it at some point. He's always done well. Good TD/INT ratio. I'm not nearly as worried as I would be if he'd only run a spread throughout his college career...

O.city 12-05-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9184136)
The only criticism I've read of Geno, that actually gives a reason is that he doesn't read defenses. Though, in as many offenses as he's run, he's certainly been asked to do it at some point. He's always done well. Good TD/INT ratio. I'm not nearly as worried as I would be if he'd only run a spread throughout his college career...

Not calling you out specifically, but this is something alot of people say, but have no idea about.

People think reading defenses consists of "looking at multiple wr's, Rb's Te's, etc, once the ball is snapped"

Which is absolutely crazy talk.

Most offenses have reads based on coverages, which are determined presnap or split second post snap.

Once it's snapped, a QB has one read, then a second, etc. Not often do they get passed the 2nd. IMO, reading defenses isn't a problem with alot of QB's, or atleast isn't the main problem.

It's pocket awareness, or knowing how much time you have in the pocket to go thru multiple reads. Cassel doesn't read defenses well, which is magnified by the fact aht he doesn't have any pocket awareness so he can't make quick reads from the pocket.

Geno has some of the best pocket awareness of any prospect not named Luck. Hell thats one area that he gets pretty close to Luck.

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9184077)

murray?

wtf?

mcaj22 12-05-2012 10:45 PM

im fine with Tyler Wilson

and when that fails in 2 years I will be more than happy with Teddy Bridgewater

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9184136)

i find it hard to believe you can put up the numbers he did, throwing the amount he did, with only 6 ints, and not 'read defenses'....

i realize he isn't perfect, but unless they're comparing these flaws to some standard, they're rather meaningless evaluations...

is he bad at reading defenses, or bad compared to peyton manning?...

keg in kc 12-05-2012 10:49 PM

Talking about this before March is kind of pointless.

Hammock Parties 12-05-2012 10:49 PM

Kliff Kingsbury threw 45 TD and 13 INT his senior year playing in the same system...so you never know.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-05-2012 10:50 PM

Did Kliff play in a pro style offense his sophomore year and play very well? Didn't think so...

Frankie 12-05-2012 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9184115)

If (big IF) Te'o is what they say he is (and not a Notre Dame lust hype by the media) then yes. Provided we use the top of the 2nd on Murray, Wilson, or maybe even Bray. Our LB corps will be next to none. and we still get a QB we can count on panning out well. I've been very encouraged by what Dungy said about Murray and what I saw of him in the Alabama game. Granted I didn't see the entire game. Stat-wise too he compares well with Geno. See attached.

ChiefsCountry 12-05-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184164)
Kliff Kingsbury threw 45 TD and 13 INT his senior year playing in the same system...so you never know.

Guess who drafted him.

keg in kc 12-05-2012 10:53 PM

"Our LB corps will be next to none".

Who gives a **** about that?

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9184164)

6 is significantly different than 13....6 makes ints almost an anomaly given the volume of throws

and again, the point is they never qualify the criticisms...does he need to get better reading defenses (likely)? does he struggle reading defenses (less likely)? is he bad at reading defenses (lol)? does he not read defenses (absurd)?

etc

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 10:54 PM

LBs don't win superbowls

jesus titty christ people

SAUTO 12-05-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9184180)
Guess who drafted him.

Patriots
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 12-05-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9184179)
If (big IF) Te'o is what they say he is

Te'o isn't Ray Lewis.

Te'o isn't Patrick Willis.

Te'o isn't Brian Urlacher.

Te'o isn't D'Qwell Jackson.

He may be a solid NFL linebacker but until he runs a 4.3 forty, measures 6'2 and weights 260 pounds at the Combine, the guy, IMO, is a mid-to-late draft choice at best.

He's most likely, IMO, a second round talent at best.

the Talking Can 12-05-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9184201)
Te'o isn't Ray Lewis.

He may be a solid NFL linebacker but until he runs a 4.3 forty, measures 6'2 and weights 260 pounds at the Combine, the guy, IMO, is a mid-to-late draft choice at best.

thank you

O.city 12-05-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9184179)
If (big IF) Te'o is what they say he is (and not a Notre Dame lust hype by the media) then yes. Provided we use the top of the 2nd on Murray, Wilson, or maybe even Bray. Our LB corps will be next to none. and we still get a QB we can count on panning out well. I've been very encouraged by what Dungy said about Murray and what I saw of him in the Alabama game. Granted I didn't see the entire game. Stat-wise too he compares well with Geno. See attached.

Murray is a legit 6" foot even. He has a strong arm and that offense doesn't do him alot of favors but his upside isn't that high, IMO.

And no, even if Teo is what they say, he isn't worth a top 5 pick. Look around the league at other 34 teams and look who plays the spot he would play here on our D.

You absolutely don't need a great high draft pick guy there to be successful.

And stat wise, Murray isn't close to Geno.

O.city 12-05-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9184201)
Te'o isn't Ray Lewis.

This might be off, but if Lewis, Jackson, and Willis were available in this draft, considering where the Chiefs are roster wise and the defense we run, I'm taking a QB over all of those guys.

DaneMcCloud 12-05-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9184211)
This might be off, but if Lewis, Jackson, and Willis were available in this draft, considering where the Chiefs are roster wise and the defense we run, I'm taking a QB over one of those guys.

That's fine.

Just don't tell me that Te'o is worthy of the number one overall pick, the Heisman, etc. when clearly he is not.

If the guy was at Wisconsin, he'd be mid-second rounder. Hell, Rey Maualuga was at USC sandwiched between Cushing and Matthews and HE was a second rounder.

SAUTO 12-05-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9184211)
This might be off, but if Lewis, Jackson, and Willis were available in this draft, considering where the Chiefs are roster wise and the defense we run, I'm taking a QB over one of those guys.

Not off at all.

Out linebackers could all quit and I would still take the qb
Posted via Mobile Device