ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Roaf looking to comeback in 2006 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132328)

Zach 12-28-2005 03:24 PM

Roaf looking to comeback in 2006

Seems like a lot will depend on who coaches the Chiefs in 2006. I have a feeling it's Vermeil then big Willie would be back, if Vermeil steps down then it's up in the air.

I, as probably all Chiefs fans, would like to see him and Shields back in 2006. The feeling I get from Shields though is that he may be done. Besides the defensive line, offensive tackle is our need position in free agency. Welborne can move inside to guard.

--------
Q&A WITH WILLIE ROAF
Dec 28, 2005, 2:17:51 PM

CINCINNATI CONFERENCE CALL

Q: You guys have a real slim chance, but can still make the playoffs. Is it kind of going to be a throw everything in but the kitchen sink game against the Bengals?

ROAF: “We just have to get out there and play hard like we have done all year. It’s been unfortunate some weeks for us and disappointing, but we still have a chance. You can have two teams from the AFC West have 10-6 seasons and not get in the playoffs. You know it’s tough in the AFC and it’s especially tough in the AFC West.”

Q: Will you watch Saturday’s San Diego-Denver game?

ROAF: “I will watch some of it but I’m just going to get ready to play good and play a good game against Cincinnati. Like I said they have had an outstanding year. They slipped up against Buffalo and Buffalo surprised them. That cost Cincinnati a first-round bye, so like I said it’s tough in this league and all we can do is work off playing Cincinnati this week and see what happens.”

Q: Once upon a time when you were drafted you were almost a member of the Bengals?

ROAF: “You know what, I thought I was going there. I thought I was going I think the Bengals picked fifth that year and they took DE John Copeland. I played against Alabama my senior year and then (DE Eric) Curry went next (to Tampa Bay). I thought I was going to be a Bengal. Detroit was there then the Saints traded up, but I thought it was a really good shot for me to be a Bengal.”

Q: Is all this talk that this might be Coach Vermeil’s last game weighing in on you guys at all?

ROAF: “Coach is a fighter and he’s been fighting through with us. He’s had a great career and a great run and whatever he does we wish him the best, so that’s another thing. If this is going to be Coach’s last year, it would be nice for us to at least to get into the playoffs and try to have a chance to make a run at it. We will have to see what happens, but coach is almost 70 years old and it’s up to him what he decides to do.”

Q: What makes Arrowhead so tough for opposing teams?

ROAF: “I think it’s a combination of the fans number one and we play tough at home, the crowd noise, the atmosphere and when the conditions get cold – Cincinnati is used to that – it’s a little tougher. It was tough on San Diego that field was not in good shape and we had to toggle back that plays well in type of that condition. It’s tough at Arrowhead and it’s a great place to play and it’s been fun playing there the last four years for me.”

Q: RB Larry Johnson has really come on down the stretch, hasn’t he?

ROAF: “They were splitting time with him and RB Priest Holmes and Priest has been a great back, but these last eight weeks Larry Johnson has had a chance to carry the load. He is one of those guys you just keep giving the ball to and he gets better as the game goes on and you saw that last week. He caught the ball well and scored on that pass. He runs the ball with a lot of power and a lot of authority. He is a big guy so I mean I am just impressed with how consistently he has come out and played week in and week out.”

Q: Talk about the Bengals offensive tackle tandem of Levi Jones and Willie Anderson?

ROAF: “Both of those guys are good football players. They play hard. I didn’t know how big Willie was until I stood beside him and I mean I am 6’5, 320 pounds. Willie is a big man. His body, he’s big and he is a big-boned guy. He reminds me of a T Lincoln Kennedy and T Jonathan Ogden and a lot of those guys. Levi is more of my size but a lot of those guys are bigger than me. They have both had a real good start in their careers and they are doing job. I have watched both of them play. They are both real good players.”

Q: How long do you plan to keep playing?

ROAF: “When I talked to Mr. (Carl) Peterson and Denny Thum I am on a year-to-year basis and there is a good chance I will be back next year. At this point I will be 36 in April. If I am productive and stay healthy then we will talk about playing another year and then I will go in and see how I feel. I had the hamstring problem earlier in the season and that bothered me the last six or seven weeks. I have played pretty good football and I felt better. We took the pads off so that has helped me at this point. It’s kind of hard for me to hit a lot at this point when guys get older in their career it’s a little tough on their body. If I’m managed right I can play another year or two, but like I said I will take it one year at a time.”

Q: G Ray Brown is still playing for the Redskins?

ROAF: “Ray Brown is backing up, though. He played the other week out there because G Randy Thomas got hurt, but he is more of a backup role. I mean I am not one of those guys who is going to hang around and do the backup thing. I will walk away playing on the field. Brown went to Arkansas State and I am from Arkansas. I’ve known Ray a long time and I have a lot of respect for him, but he is 40-some years old. When he gets in there he does a good job but he doesn’t play every week.”

chagrin 12-28-2005 03:30 PM

Man, I remember how good of a player he was in college, I always wanted him to play for KC, now he does and just like that - he's gone...potentially anyway. I hope he returns.

Tribal Warfare 12-28-2005 03:34 PM

What Roaf cited is my view almost word for word with his status. Therefore the big push to draft one of the top tier OTs McNeill or Scott.

Rain Man 12-28-2005 03:34 PM

When Willie Roaf says that Willie Anderson is a big guy, that pretty much means that Willie Anderson is a big guy.

BigRedChief 12-28-2005 03:48 PM

Get Parcells in here and all the vets come back.

Kylo Ren 12-28-2005 03:50 PM

I knew Roaf would come back. It's Shields that I'm worried about. I think the emergence of Larry Johnson may keep Shields on the team for one more year.

Frankie 12-28-2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiggRedChief
Get Parcells in here and all the vets come back.

:rolleyes:

Chiefs Pantalones 12-28-2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan
I knew Roaf would come back. It's Shields that I'm worried about. I think the emergence of Larry Johnson may keep Shields on the team for one more year.

No, it won't be the emergence of Larry Johnson to get Shields to play one more, an improved defense will.

Shields went into Carl's office and told him that if we didn't improve the D, he'd retire in 05. Carl went out and got some guys, so Shields came back. The D is, what, 28th in the league? That's not very much improved, so Carl is going to have to do his best used carsalesman impersonation this offseason to Shields to get him to stay another year.

Halfcan 12-28-2005 08:21 PM

I hope they both come back.

acasas4 12-28-2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
I hope they both come back.

Me too.

chiefsfaninNC 12-28-2005 08:26 PM

Sounds like Roaf is coming back. Thank God. But we need to get that monter OT in the draft this year.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-28-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfaninNC
Sounds like Roaf is coming back. Thank God. But we need to get that monter OT in the draft this year.

I'm guessing he goes in the top 5, if not that, top 10. We would be extremely lucky if he would fall that far.

sedated 12-28-2005 08:51 PM

I don't trust getting a WR or QB in the 1st Rd, so if we go Offense in the draft, we MUST go for the OT.

But we'll probably spend yet another pick on the D-Line

Frankie 12-28-2005 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfaninNC

I totally agree. He needs to get some playtime too.