ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Dark Knight Rises *Spoilers* Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261597)

Sucky 07-20-2012 02:33 PM

Weakest of the trilogy BUT still good.

I'll definitely see it again in theaters!

Reaper16 07-20-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8756094)
I wouldn't say losing fear of death. I would say regaining his fear of death. The League of Shadows groomed him to be the perfect mercenary, to be without fear which, in turn, made him Batman. To return to humanity, as Bruce Wayne, he needed that fear re-established.

Oh. But...that doesn't jibe with the scene that I saw last night. Unless I misheard some key bit of dialogue. Because it seems like you'd wear that rope because you were afraid of dying (from a slip of the foot or from not making that leap. Because you, in that prison, will have seen many people try and fail, and so you'll want a safety precaution).

Bruce even says in the prison how he's afraid of x, y, and z. That was before he learned the stuff that allowed him to get out of the pit.

mdchiefsfan 07-20-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8756140)
Oh. But...that doesn't jibe with the scene that I saw last night. Unless I misheard some key bit of dialogue. Because it seems like you'd wear that rope because you were afraid of dying (from a slip of the foot or from not making that leap. Because you, in that prison, will have seen many people try and fail, and so you'll want a safety precaution).

Bruce even says in the prison how he's afraid of x, y, and z. That was before he learned the stuff that allowed him to get out of the pit.

One of us misheard. But the way I see it is if you are afraid of death and you attempt to climb that high of a wall, your going to give your max to ensure you don't die. The rope hindered his ability to climb because he knew that if he fell, he would be fine. Fearing death and climbing without the rope worked together to achieve his goal.

Wyatt Earp 07-20-2012 04:04 PM

Did anyone else feel like the "court room" scenes were tailor made for the Joker?

mdchiefsfan 07-20-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 8756351)
Did anyone else feel like the "court room" scenes were tailor made for the Joker?

Holy shit. Didn't think if that

Wyatt Earp 07-20-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8756359)
Holy shit. Didn't think if that

Yeah to me Dr. Crane felt out of place as the judge.

Tribal Warfare 07-20-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 8756351)

yep

mdchiefsfan 07-20-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp (Post 8756375)
Yeah to me Dr. Crane felt out of place as the judge.

It kinda worked, as I was used to seeing him in court, but now that you mention it, it would be better suited with joker up there.

Deberg_1990 07-20-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBOSHO (Post 8754737)
I cant decide whether i thought banes voice was comical or creepy, but it did have a sort of jolliness in it that was unnerving. I know i couldnt understand a 3rd of what he said.

Tom hardy is big as ****.

heh, honestly Banes voice might be my only complaint about this flick. It was too over-amplified, obviously created Post filming and not on set. Too fakey sounding. Then he had a few corny lines i didnt like...

"Oh what a nice voice" At the football game. :facepalm:

But loved the movie otherwise. Just brilliant stuff. Nolan is on a whole other level with these films. No other comic book film comes close IMO.

Deberg_1990 07-20-2012 06:01 PM

BTW, anyone catch the "Man of Steel" trailer? It was ok, but i was disappointed because it wasnt the longer one shown at Comic Con. It really didnt reveal much.

Silock 07-20-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8756522)
heh, honestly Banes voice might be my only complaint about this flick. It was too over-amplified, obviously created Post filming and not on set. Too fakey sounding. Then he had a few corny lines i didnt like...

"Oh what a nice voice" At the football game. :facepalm:

But loved the movie otherwise. Just brilliant stuff. Nolan is on a whole other level with these films. No other comic book film comes close IMO.

They redid it because people were having a hard time understanding him and hearing the lines. It was originally far more muffled.

Tribal Warfare 07-20-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8756525)
BTW, anyone catch the "Man of Steel" trailer? It was ok, but i was disappointed because it wasnt the longer one shown at Comic Con. It really didnt reveal much.

It showed Cavil walking with a scruffy beard, with a Russell Crowe voiceover... Then Supes breaking the speed of sound through the clouds.

mdchiefsfan 07-20-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8756525)

I didn't realize Christopher Nolan was doing the Man of Steel. Can't wait for this one.

Reaper16 07-20-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8756695)
I didn't realize Christopher Nolan was doing the Man of Steel. Can't wait for this one.

He's only producing it. Zack Snyder is directing.

Red Brooklyn 07-20-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8755696)
My biggest beef with the film re: thing-being-included-only-to-set-up-twists is the whole pit prison deal. It seemed to be doing 2 things: 1.) show how tough Bane was because he alone escaped, and 2.) teach Bruce that if he no longer fears death then he can save Gotham from Bane (which would reinforce the sacrificing-himself-by-flying-the-nuke-out-to-sea bit, which was somewhat undone by the cop-out reveal that he somehow lived and he and Selina got clean slates and moved to Italy.

But the twist that it was Talia that escaped, not Bane, does harm to the film, IMO. Because...why was Bane tough then? Or smart? Bane couldn't figure out -- like I'm sure many of us did very quickly into the prison scenes -- that the rope was the only thing preventing you from escaping. He didn't escape through some sheer force of will. He was rescued, in fact (albeit after contracting whatever painful plague thing he got).

So Bane goes down like the chump that he was (accidentally) revealed to be as soon as Bruce next encounters him. Bruce doesn't learn any secret to beating Bane, because that lesson about fear-of-death doesn't end up applying to anything.

It all was working for me as the film went along...until the needless twist.

I think one big thing to consider here is that Bruce wasn't learning how to conquer his fear of death. He'd already done that.

He was learning how important fear is. The issue is he needed the fear back. I think that plays pretty heavily into his escape. Perhaps not so heavily into defeating Bane, I'll grant you. But I don't think it was entirely pointless or inconsequential.

The movie, to me, seemed to be like Batman Begins in reverse. The whole second half was more about Bruce vs himself than Batman vs Bane. Not arguing that as a strength or a weakness, just making an observation.

I'm fine with Bane being muscle and less brains. And in the end Batman still wasn't going to be able to defeat Bane on his own. But, again, I'm not sure that's what it was about.

And the Breaking Bad crack was just that. It was a crack. Me making fun of myself more than anything. Your comment sounded similar to some of mine re: that show. And I don't think it's worlds apart, frankly. We've seen characters on BB acting completely out of character for the sake of plot, and sometimes, even plot "twists."