ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Offical 2012 STL Cardinals World Champions Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619)

Frazod 02-27-2012 09:36 PM

I heard on the radio earlier that Molina had resigned for five years, but I don't see anything online about it being official. Looking good, however. I was worried about losing him after Albert shit out on us.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html

Molina, Cards close to deal

The Cardinals and Gold Glove catcher Yadier Molina are close to agreement on a multi-year extension likely to make Molina the seventh catcher in the game's history to realize a deal with an average annual value exceeding $10 million.

The Cardinals remain engaged in talks with Molina's agent, Melvin Roman, who has remained in town for nearly a week. Roman arrived shortly after his client hinted at a breakdown in negotiations but "positive momentum" has since been achieved, according to a source familiar with talks.

Molina expressed a desire to remain in St. Louis shortly after arriving in camp more than 10 days before pitchers and catchers were scheduled to officially report. Entering the final installment of a five-year deal that pays him $7 million for the upcoming season, Molina last year led the Cardinals in hitting while also earning a Rawlings Platinum Glove awarded the league's top defender.

Team officials declined comment Monday regarding the status of talks except to deny a rumor that a deal was already in place. Roman did not return a phone message Monday afternoon but did confirm to Fox Sports that the sides are progressing toward an agreement. A source familiar with talks said the extension should be finalized no later than Friday.

Both sides prefer to have the matter resolved before the Cardinals begin exhibition play. Roman insisted last week that negotiations would cease should a deal remain elusive by Opening Day. Soon afterward, the sides began to narrow differences in length of contract and AAV. Molina, 29, is expected to receive a potential five-year deal.

O.city 02-27-2012 09:38 PM

Good Deal.

BigRedChief 02-27-2012 09:53 PM

Fantastic! Excellent backstop to give our future young pitchers the confidence to throw the curve, slider in the dirt.

Btw, the initial reports are 5 years $70 million.

BigRedChief 03-01-2012 03:09 PM

Done Deal, Print em!

The Cardinals finalized a five-year extension with Gold Glove-winning catcher Yadier Molina today and announced the deal this afternoon. The contract will guarantee Molina $75 million over the five seasons from 2013 to 2017.

It includes a mutual option for 2018 and other guarantees that could raise the value to $88 million, a source with knowledge of the deal confirmed to the Post-Dispatch." I grew up here," Molina said at the press conference to announce the deal. "It was my first choice to stay here, and I'm glad we did it."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...9bb30f31a.html

seclark 03-01-2012 03:11 PM

i like it.
sec

O.city 03-01-2012 03:13 PM

Great news.

With the pitching we have and the pitching we have coming on in a few years, it will be great to have Yadi behind the plate.

Amazing what the tools of ignorance have gotten this young man. Thats a lot of money.

BigRedChief 03-01-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8410590)
i like it.
sec

Yep Miller, Martinez and all the rest of the young pitchers have a top quality game caller and defensive backstop to learn and gain confidence why they develop.

I think you are going to see a jump in catchers salaries soon. Its a good way to build a winner. Solid catcher and young under your control pitching.

seclark 03-01-2012 03:22 PM

wonder if they can put a catchers mask, chest protector and shin guards on that old pujols statue out in westport?
sec

BigRedChief 03-01-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8410615)
wonder if they can put a catchers mask, chest protector and shin guards on that old pujols statue out in westport?
sec

Some people dog him about not running out grounders but the last part of the year when he caught all those innnings in a row and he always catches the extra inning games and doesnt take the next day off. He's not a superior athlete. Far from it. But he's got some grit that a team needs. And besides his homer put us in the World Series in 2006. Thats some serious slack in the bank to be given to him by me.

whoman69 03-01-2012 03:46 PM

They probably paid too much, but that's what the market is. Kind of hamstrings them elsewhere. But the length of the deal is pretty good. He has caught nearly a 1000 games which is usually where catchers start grinding down, but he's still fairly young at 29.

seclark 03-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8410632)
Some people dog him about not running out grounders but the last part of the year when he caught all those innnings in a row and he always catches the extra inning games and doesnt take the next day off. He's not a superior athlete. Far from it. But he's got some grit that a team needs. And besides his homer put us in the World Series in 2006. Thats some serious slack in the bank to be given to him by me.

yeah, i don't care to see it but don't hold it against him like i would other position players. don't know it it's right or wrong. i've never questioned his heart.
sec

raybec 4 03-01-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8410733)
yeah, i don't care to see it but don't hold it against him like i would other position players. don't know it it's right or wrong. i've never questioned his heart.
sec

I always loved Yadi, watching him kick Brandon Phillips' bat after he tried his "It's all good" tap was awesome.

seclark 03-01-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 8410788)
I always loved Yadi, watching him kick Brandon Phillips' bat after he tried his "It's all good" tap was awesome.

i'll never forget it. :thumb:
sec

Frazod 03-01-2012 04:20 PM

I'm glad we got him locked up. This will help mitigate the loss of Duncan.

BigRedChief 03-01-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8410733)
sec

Yeah it just seems different. You know he cares and plays the game with passion. The fact he is a slow footed catcher who plays a shitload of innings gets him some slack.