ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Movies and TV Is Die Hard a Christmas movie? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267570)

RealSNR 12-11-2012 11:26 AM

Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Poll forthcoming.

Somebody I know planted that idea in my head a few weeks ago. At first I waived it off dismissively, but now that I think about it, I think I agree with him that it IS a Christmas movie.

So when I said it to other people, they got really defensive about it. Yes, defensive. Is it because they really really like the genre of Christmas movies and don't want something like Die Hard to taint it? I have no clue; I'd much rather watch Die Hard than White Christmas.

If you're saying, "Well, it takes place during Christmas, but that's about all it has to do with Christmas" then consider some of these points:

1. It involves the Christmasy theme of a family man who has lost a lot (namely the relationship with his wife) going on an extraordinary journey/adventure/trial to win her back. All during Christmas.

2. Along the way he encounters evil people that he may not know to be evil at first (like when Hans pretends to be a hostage) but then realizes what he has gotten into.

3. He receives small amounts of help (mostly encouragement and confidence) from his little helpers- Carl Winslow and the limo driver

4. It's got all kinds of Christmas music in the film

Discuss Thrower 12-11-2012 11:30 AM

I was just inking about this last night...

Hammock Parties 12-11-2012 11:31 AM

ho ho ho now i have a machine gun!

KCUnited 12-11-2012 11:32 AM

Die Hard is whatever kind of movie it ****ing feels like being.

Bweb 12-11-2012 11:36 AM

It is actually one of the movies I try and watch over the Christmas break...along with "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". :)

Pasta Little Brioni 12-11-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9199674)
ho ho ho now i have a machine gun!

ROFL

Discuss Thrower 12-11-2012 11:40 AM

And to answer the OP: The Christmas Movie test. Does someone get a XMas present against long odds? If yes, then yes it is a Christmas movie.

Tribal Warfare 12-11-2012 11:41 AM

Lethal Weapon too

Wildcat2005 12-11-2012 11:41 AM

I kinda wanna watch Die Hard right now

But no it is not a Christmas movie
The themes of someone losing something, overcoming odds to get it back, receiving help along the way, etc... can apply to a lot of movies

I mean didnt Batman Returns also take place during Christmas?

It is probably better than any Christmas movie I have seen though

Lzen 12-11-2012 11:44 AM

Just because the movie takes place during the Christmas season doesn't mean it's a Christmas movie. Christmas movies are about Christmas (i.e. Miracle on 34th St., A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation). Die Hard is about terrorists and a cop who is determined to stop them.

cosmo20002 12-11-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9199659)
1. It involves the Christmasy theme of a family man who has lost a lot (namely the relationship with his wife) going on an extraordinary journey/adventure/trial to win her back. All during Christmas.

2. Along the way he encounters evil people that he may not know to be evil at first (like when Hans pretends to be a hostage) but then realizes what he has gotten into.

3. He receives small amounts of help (mostly encouragement and confidence) from his little helpers- Carl Winslow and the limo driver

4. It's got all kinds of Christmas music in the film

1. That's not a Christmasy theme. A Chistmasy theme would be McClane magically impregnating some chick who gives birth to his son who is then killed by Hans.

2. I don't remember that from the story of Xmas.

3. Don't recall helpers either. They were turned away and had to stay in a barn.

4. There was no Xmas music in the Bible.

WildTurkey 12-11-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9199681)
Die Hard is whatever kind of movie it ****ing feels like being.

This.

Molitoth 12-11-2012 11:48 AM

I can see it either way, but I voted yes because I especially feel like watching it over Christmas break now that you brought it up.

Quote:

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...

Baby Lee 12-11-2012 11:50 AM

Not just a Christmas movie, one of the top 5 Christmas movies ever.

That's not even my original idea, it tops many 'Top Christmas Movies Ever' lists.

Google it.

RealSNR 12-11-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9199696)
And to answer the OP: The Christmas Movie test. Does someone get a XMas present against long odds? If yes, then yes it is a Christmas movie.

John McClain gets a machine gun.

So... yes?