ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Married members: Did you seek permission/blessing? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268963)

EagleRob 01-16-2013 08:26 PM

My wife told me for our entire courtship that it was very important to her father that I ask his permission. When the time came I took him to a Redskins / Giants game (he's a G-Man fan) and had a long chat with him about her and my relationship, my career an life aspirations and told him I wanted his daughter to be by my side for the rest of my life. I then asked for his blessing to ask her to marry me and he said, "What the **** do I care? It's your life and her decision." He then said, "This year I will be married 30 years. If I committed murder, I'd be out by now."

Bwana 01-16-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9325846)
Ah, so you have some kind of wild, exotic lady love do ya :D

Heh no, she grew up in the states with her parents, but the parents split and both ended up moving to different counties. It's not all bad. :D

Bwana 01-16-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9326593)
Thailand?
Russia?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mexico and Barbados.

Pablo 01-16-2013 08:53 PM

Recently engaged. And yes. I knew what the answer was going to be; but just wanted to give her old man a respectful nod.

Even if he would have said 'no' it wouldn't have changed a thing.

ClevelandBronco 01-16-2013 08:57 PM

Yes. I was required to ask permission. My wife is from a very traditional, patriarchal, Mexican family. I would not have asked otherwise.

Pablo 01-16-2013 09:16 PM

Really, if you future wife loves her father and you have some sort of respect for him; what does it hurt to make him feel like his opinion is important to you?

Saying, it's just old fashioned and I don't NEED validation isn't a worthy reason in my mind. He very well knows that his opinion isn't going to be the end-all on the matter; but I guarantee if you have to see that guy for the next couple of decades you'll probably wish you just threw him a bone. It's not every day some dude comes calling for the woman he raised for the last 20 years.

DJJasonp 01-16-2013 09:21 PM

Yes.....and after she said 'yes'.....and I told her I had a chat with her mother/father a few weeks back....

It was one of the first things she mentioned....as it "meant the world" to her that I did it.

It's a respect thing.

Gadzooks 01-16-2013 09:30 PM

My wife is from Poland and her parents are still in Poland and don't speak a lick of english so **** them. I just took her.
As John Elway would say:
http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/at...ad-bwahaha.jpg
I would have asked otherwise. It's the right thing to do...

Stanley Nickels 01-16-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9326863)
Really, if you future wife loves her father and you have some sort of respect for him; what does it hurt to make him feel like his opinion is important to you?

Saying, it's just old fashioned and I don't NEED validation isn't a worthy reason in my mind. He very well knows that his opinion isn't going to be the end-all on the matter; but I guarantee if you have to see that guy for the next couple of decades you'll probably wish you just threw him a bone. It's not every day some dude comes calling for the woman he raised for the last 20 years.

patteeu 01-17-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleRob (Post 9326684)
My wife told me for our entire courtship that it was very important to her father that I ask his permission. When the time came I took him to a Redskins / Giants game (he's a G-Man fan) and had a long chat with him about her and my relationship, my career an life aspirations and told him I wanted his daughter to be by my side for the rest of my life. I then asked for his blessing to ask her to marry me and he said, "What the **** do I care? It's your life and her decision." He then said, "This year I will be married 30 years. If I committed murder, I'd be out by now."

LMAO

Jiu Jitsu Jon 01-17-2013 01:11 AM

I was 33 and my wife was 35 when we got married. I'm not going to ask a grown woman's father permission to marry her.

007 01-17-2013 03:03 AM

Nope. But her dad wasn't really in the picture anyway.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 01-17-2013 03:07 AM

For those that asked, what would you have done if her father had said no? I would have said too bad, bitch.

silver5liter 01-17-2013 03:30 AM

Yes, wife's mom is her only parent so I drove to Topeka to ask her one morning. Her mom loves me though so it wasn't a big deal

wheeler08 01-17-2013 06:17 AM

Only read half the thread....but what if u have both already been married and divorced to other people so this is both of yours 2nd marriage...since im not the first to ask, do I need to ask? My current sirustion.