ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Marlins Ticket Line has 4 people (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269886)

Cephalic Trauma 02-10-2013 12:37 PM

Marlins Ticket Line has 4 people

I was certain every possible joke about baseball attendance in Florida had been exhausted over the past 20 years. Then I saw the tweet by Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post that included the photo above from the Miami Marlins Winter Warm Up event Saturday and realized we haven’t even scratched the surface.
The Marlins have used up all of the goodwill a new taxpayer-funded stadium gave them just a year ago. They've made many missteps, but the massive giveaway with the Blue Jays turned even hardcore Fish fans against them. And it has left them with a line for tickets that's four people long. That's not including this guy, who wore a Blue Jays cap to the event in protest.
Later on, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald published another photo from the fan fest that is somehow more depressing than Capozzi's: A completely deserted concession stand.

The Marlins might have more players at camp (74) than fans who showed up to buy single-game tickets on the first day they were available. Seriously!
This is all the doing of owner Jeffrey Loria who, according to these fans, needs to be traded. Now that's a line people would stand in if it would make him sell the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...6017--mlb.html

ROFLROFL

You don't have to like baseball to appreciate what this fanbase has done.
SOC has nothing on themLMAO

Pasta Little Brioni 02-10-2013 12:39 PM

3 more than I thought they'd have TBH. A joke they've won 2 titles.

Cephalic Trauma 02-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9391474)
3 more than I thought they'd have TBH. A joke they've won 2 titles.

True. They have the worst owner in sports.

BlackHelicopters 02-10-2013 02:16 PM

2 World Series titles in the short existence. Bad owner or not, that is impressive.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-10-2013 02:25 PM

An awful owner combined with an awful fan base equates to an attendance disaster. Despite the success of the Heat, I don't think any Florida teams should have professional sports: it's a state filled with transients and transplants.

Deberg_1990 02-10-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9391731)
An awful owner combined with an awful fan base equates to an attendance disaster. Despite the success of the Heat, I don't think any Florida teams should have professional sports: it's a state filled with transients and transplants.

This. Most of the sports fans in Florida are from the northeast. A good team like the Rays have trouble drawing at times. It's basically another home game for the Yankees when they play there.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-10-2013 02:32 PM

Outside of the Cardinals not extending the misery of the Red Sox, the Marlins beating the Tribe in 97 made me sicker than any Championship ever has.

Pushead2 02-10-2013 02:32 PM

ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-10-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9391739)
This. Most of the sports fans in Florida are from the northeast. A good team like the Rays have trouble drawing at times. It's basically another home game for the Yankees when they play there.

That's the crux. They have some really good franchises, or have had franchises with a fair amount of success: Rays, Marlins, Heat, Magic, Panthers, and Bucs have all been very competitive franchises over the last 10-15 years, but they have no public support. Most of them should be relocated to replace contracted franchises.

Frazod 02-10-2013 02:36 PM

A brand new stadium that's basically going to sit empty all year long. Seems like there should be some way to force Loria out - obviously it would be in the best interest of the community and MLB.

Demonpenz 02-10-2013 04:12 PM

Floridia a state where you can play baseball year round. Sucks this team sucks.

kcxiv 02-10-2013 04:19 PM

fans need to boycott. I know thy hav won 2 world series, but what they did to that team is terrible.

Titty Meat 02-10-2013 04:19 PM

Baseball sucks

houstonwhodat 02-10-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9391731)

Tampa and Jacksonville are the same way.

Half if not all their games get blacked out due to low attendance.

Don't know about Miami.

tk13 02-10-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9391718)
2 World Series titles in the short existence. Bad owner or not, that is impressive.

He was only owner for one of those titles. The first one the team was owned by Wayne Huizenga, who owned the Dolphins. He sold the team to John Henry (who now owns the Red Sox)... who sold the team to Loria, allowing Loria to dump the Expos. Even then, the foundation of that 2nd team had already been built when Loria bought it.

Granted maybe I'm just biased against Loria. He wrecked baseball in Montreal, and is now doing it in Florida. I can't think of too many owners that have done this to two pro franchises.