ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Browns hire Mangini (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=199895)

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2009 04:35 PM

Browns hire Mangini

Per ESPN bottomline, I'll get a link later.

OnTheWarpath15 01-07-2009 04:36 PM

I saw it too.

OnTheWarpath15 01-07-2009 04:36 PM

Sounds like it's KC or stay put for Pioli.

dirk digler 01-07-2009 04:37 PM

LMAO

I actually feel sorry for their fans. What a joke

Quote:

MANGINI GETS THE JOB

Michael Holley of WEEI radio in Boston reported earlier today that Eric Mangini would be the coach of the Browns before the end of the week.

As it turns out, Mangini is the coach before the end of the day.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that Mangini has been hired by the Browns to replace Romeo Crennel.

philfree 01-07-2009 04:37 PM

Does that mean Pioli is a Chiefs?

PhilFree:arrow:

RustShack 01-07-2009 04:37 PM

Say he hires Romeo as DC if hes interested. Does/has Pioli lost all interest in GM job for the Browns?

chiefs1111 01-07-2009 04:37 PM

good for them

Tribal Warfare 01-07-2009 04:39 PM

FWIW, I'm wearing my lucky Chiefs T-shirt, the good ju-ju shall be on our side. No joke the only other times I've worn it was during the weeks when KC has won.

Crush 01-07-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 5366220)
Say he hires Romeo as DC if hes interested. Does/has Pioli lost all interest in GM job for the Browns?

It sure looks that way.

Rooster 01-07-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 5366231)
FWIW, I'm wearing my lucky Chiefs T-shirt, the good ju-ju shall be on our side. No joke the only other times I've worn it was during the weeks when KC has won.

Don't take it off dude. :D

ChiefsCountry 01-07-2009 04:42 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...s_records.html

CLEVELAND --- The Browns have agreed to terms on a contract with Eric Mangini to be their next head coach, a league source said Wednesday.
Mangini, fired by the Jets last week, will be introduced in a press conference Thursday morning.

Mangini, who turns 38 on Jan. 19, was the first of four candidates interviewed by Lerner to replace Romeo Crennel. Mangini was fired by the New York Jets on Dec. 29, the day after the Jets lost their final game and were eliminated from the AFC playoffs.

Lerner interviewed Mangini the next day. Lerner was so impressed that he never wavered from Mangini as his first choice. The owner also interviewed Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

Mangini's hiring increases the possibility of Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as defensive coordinator. Mangini and Crennel worked five years together on Bill Belichick's New England staff, sharing three Super Bowl championships. When Crennel was named Browns coach in 2005, Mangini was his first choice for defensive coordinator, but Mangini opted to stay in New England as Crennel's replacement in charge of the Patriots' defense.

Mangini stayed one year with New England before moving to the arch-rival Jets as head coach, creating a deep rift with Belichick, who was responsible for moving Mangini into coaching on the old Browns' staff in 1995.

Mangini's first job with the Browns was as a ballboy. He then served an internship with the public relations staff. Belichick was impressed with his attention to detail and gave him tasks to help the coaching staff.

Mangini was 23-26 in three years as Jets coach. His firing was a surprise to many in the NFL but not so much to those close to the Jets situation.

Jets owner Woody Johnson talked of giving Mangini a contract extension when the team was 8-3. But after four losses in their last five games, Johnson pulled the plug on the coach who had acquired the nickname "Mangenius" for going 10-6 in his first season as coach.

The Jets were 0-2 against the Browns under Mangini, losing, 20-13, in Cleveland in 2006, and 24-18, in the Meadowlands in 2007.

After the 2007 season, the Jets doled out more than $160 million in contracts for veteran players to push the team over the hump. The spending spree included a decision late in training camp to trade for disgruntled Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre.

Favre's acquisition led to the release of popular veteran quarterback Chad Pennington. The division rival Miami Dolphins quickly signed Pennington, and he led them to the AFC East title, earning the NFL's comeback player-of-the-year award.

Mangini, who was against the pickup of Favre, sparred with the future Hall of Famer. Favre threw nine interceptions in the last five games, precipitating the team's free-fall. Johnson wanted Favre to return in 2009 and felt the chances were greater of that with a change of coaches.

In his interview with Lerner, Mangini touted long-time friend George Kokinis, Baltimore Ravens pro personnel director, as his choice to work as Browns' chief football executive. The Browns can't interview Kokinis until Sunday.

Tribal Warfare 01-07-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 5366241)
Don't take it off dude. :D

Honestly, I haven't I wear it with my PJs. It's an old and tattered SOB. Now if we can get Stafford

OnTheWarpath15 01-07-2009 04:44 PM

If Mangini thought the AFC East was tough, wait until he gets a load of the AFC North.

HemiEd 01-07-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 5366231)

That makes it pretty old, or very fresh.

Oh, and warn me when you change your sig by adding to it. I almost didn't notice.

Deberg_1990 01-07-2009 04:46 PM

Why are the Bowns so in love with this guy?

Honestly, he sounds like the next Herm Edwards to me.