ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Non-football topic beware: Is anyone besides me sick of all the gymnastics coverage? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=7883)

KCTitus 09-21-2000 10:21 AM

There is basically no coverage of Baseball, Basketball, Softball, Tennis, etc. Just tons of gymnastics, human interest stories that go on too long, they only give us the swimming final. I have given up, and just get my result and data from the different Internet sites. Any other thoughts and comments?

Mosbonian 09-21-2000 10:24 AM

YES!!!

They might as well call it the 2000 Summer Gymnastics tournament and in the Winter call the Olympics the Winter Figure Skating tournament.

BLECH!

I did hear something interesting last night while watching the BOXING coverage on CNBC and the announcer referred to this fact by stating something to the effect that more women control the remote in the evening there it affected what they showed in prime time.

Cmon, MEN! Where's your sack?

Boise_Chief 09-21-2000 10:26 AM

Jim

What kills it for me is the special interest stories. I simply watch for the competition. All the other filler just gets a click of the remote from me. Gymnastics is boring this year because neither US team was very competitive.

I loved the swimming, and I can't wait for track and field. The only Bball worth watching will be the womens. The mens bball was decided back in 1992 and forever going forward.

KCTitus 09-21-2000 10:26 AM

Actually the wife and I were both complaining about this last night. You migt also call it the 2000 Politically Correct Olympics with their complete avoidance of Boxing and only summary comments on the Archery, Shooting, and Trap Shooting events.

KCTitus 09-21-2000 10:30 AM

ABC in 68, 72 and other earlier Olympics had it right they gave you 30 to 60 second snippets on human interest stuff and concentrated on the events. I hope the ratings suck for this Olympics, but since the other networks all cooperated and put nothing on opposite that is unlikely. We can only hope next week with track and field will bring better coverage, But that is unlikely we will probably get Synchronus Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics, and the individual Gymanstics events spread out over the whole week.

flowergirl 09-21-2000 10:31 AM

I sick of the Olympics in general. Why? NO AMERICAN FOOTBALL.

I give less than a shit about shotputting, bicycling, avoiding drowning...I mean swimming, etc.

I want to see the USA Football Team, consisting of the best of the best from the NFL, vs. the North Vietnamese. Gaz would no longer have to settle for QB crushing, he could witness QB dismembering.

KCTitus 09-21-2000 10:32 AM

Clint,

ROTFLMAO on the QB dismembering, it would be fun wouldn't it?

broncosrule 09-21-2000 10:37 AM

Anyone see the Swedish chick that won the womens triathlon. She was practically wearing a thong. It was pretty awesome. Also, if you saw it, how about the dill hole that kept talking about all that dumb sh*t during the race?
They are definitly showing more womens sports. Was wondering if we could get skinny dipping in the olympics.

flowergirl 09-21-2000 10:39 AM

Logical,

The IOC has ruined Olympic boxing, anyway, with their horrible scoring system.

As far as shooting and archery, they shouldn't even be part of the games IMO, because they aren't sports...they're more like billiards or darts. There are many other events that hardly qualify as sports, IMO, like ballroom dancing.

I hear they are seriously considering making BRIDGE AND BACKGAMMON Olympic events!! I'm going to polish my "UNO" skills and win a gold medal!! Maybe I'll pick up a "Chutes and Ladders" from Toys R Us and go for a double gold performance!!!

KCTitus 09-21-2000 10:44 AM

Clint,

The boxing is still boxing, but you are right the actual results are screwed up by the scoring system.

I'll let Kurt Surber take up the whole shooting is not a sport thing with you. It actually takes tremendous coordination and physical endurance to to hold weapons steady and be acurate, but your point is somewhat taken as well. If that is true, is badmitton (sp?)? a sport? What about sailing?

[This message has been edited by Logical (edited 09-21-2000).]

Boise_Chief 09-21-2000 10:46 AM

Clint - LOL

Need a doubles partner in Spades?

flowergirl 09-21-2000 11:02 AM

I guess it just depends on what your criteria is for determining what is a sport and what isn't. Here's my opinion:

1. To be a sport, it MUST make you sweat AT LEAST moderately, and not because you are a 350 pound bowler.
2. No outcomes can be determined by judges. The only 2 exceptions are boxing and NCAA football.
3. You must compete directly against a single team or opponent, not a "field" or a clock. Marathon running and the Tour de France are now scrathched off my list of sports. As a matter of fact, almost all forms of "racing" don't make my list. NASCAR races are won by auto mechanics and machines, and running on foot really fast is not a display of talent...just the result of having enough free time to run a lot.

I'll continue aggravating you guys after I pick up lunch!!

Lurker Brett 09-21-2000 11:06 AM

LMAO @ Clint

KCTitus 09-21-2000 11:10 AM

Clint,

LOL again, So swimming is not a sport, determined by a clock, race against a field. Guess that elimanates most of track as well. OK Clint I guess by your definition we would be watching Fencing, handball, Field hockey, soccer, football, basketball and tennis and not much else. I think you maybe did not fully evaluate your own criteria, then again considering your politics http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif: maybe you did, just kidding. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif:

bigdaddychieffan 09-21-2000 11:17 AM

Whatever happened to the SPORTS part in Sports broadcasting?! When did the cutesie, feel-good, rags-to-riches story about the athletes take precident over the competition?

NBC deserves to lose their a$$ in the ratings -- what a stupid move it was to lose the NFL contract, then produce Olympic coverage aimed at the Peggy Bundy market!<P>