ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Have you ever won anything? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137814)

Skip Towne 03-23-2006 09:50 AM

Have you ever won anything?

Like a raffle, lottery or a radio contest. I haven't.

KCTitus 03-23-2006 09:51 AM

$1,000 in radio contest.

DMAC 03-23-2006 09:53 AM

I won $1000 shopping spree to Battlefield Mall a couple of years ago for test driving a Jeep.

Also when I was 10 I won 2 Amy Grant tickets through a raffle. But those were worthless.

Rain Man 03-23-2006 09:54 AM

I've won skill-based prizes like writing contests and scholarships.

As far as luck-based prizes...hmm. I won a stuffed killer whale many years back, and I don't know why. It just came in the mail. And when I was about ten, I won an alarm clock at a county fair bingo game.

OH! OH! At Elitch Gardens (Six Flags in Denver), I threw a dime on a plate and won one of those enormous stuff animals once.

That's about it.

Fire Me Boy! 03-23-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
$1,000 in radio contest.

Me too.

Rain Man 03-23-2006 09:55 AM

Clarification: it wasn't a real killer whale that was stuffed. It was a small synthetic one.

It'd be really cool to win a real stuffed killer whale. I think I'd hang it from the ceiling in my dining room.

Skip Towne 03-23-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC
I won $1000 shopping spree to Battlefield Mall a couple of years ago for test driving a Jeep.

Also when I was 10 I won 2 Amy Grant tickets through a raffle. But those were worthless.

You didn't buy the Jeep did you?

Aries Walker 03-23-2006 09:57 AM

I won a pizza, and a copy of Springsteen's Born in the USA on cassette, both from radio call-ins.

That's about all I've got.

DMAC 03-23-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
You didn't buy the Jeep did you?

I'm not a girl.

Eleazar 03-23-2006 10:00 AM

I won a pair of Chiefs tickets to the 1992 season opener against Seattle. I put my name into the box at the Liberty price chopper about 3,000 times.

Rain Man 03-23-2006 10:01 AM

A former coworker of mine said that once he was representing his company at a trade show, and they had a "box full o' cash" that was a prize. Supposedly, if you visited their booth, you'd get a key, and if the key opened the box, you got the cash. They had a "big box o' keys" to choose from.

I was incensed, because he said that they wouldn't let you pick the key from the big box o' keys. They would hand you a key, and none of the keys fit the box. They had the real key hidden under their table, and saved it for one of their big clients.

He was just an intern at the time, and he said it was embarrassing, because some of the keys were ludicrous. The big box o' cash had your basic padlock on it, and he said that sometimes he had to hand the person a big skeleton key or a little suitcase key, and they'd get disgusted.

Imagine how disgusted they would be if they knew the real story. And this was a very large, world-known company, too.

DMAC 03-23-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
I won a pair of Chiefs tickets to the 1992 season opener against Seattle. I put my name into the box at the Liberty price chopper about 3,000 times.

Nice! Did you have to write it 3000 times or did you copy?

Braincase 03-23-2006 10:02 AM

Yep...

1. Won a shot at regional finals in the "Showtime's Funniest Person in America" back in '85. I did pretty well with the local clubs, came in second a few times to this little gal from Medicine Lodge, Kansas... Martina Shiff(?)... she went to Nashville and married some guy named McBride.

2. As part of a Microsoft promotion for technical trainers, I won about 10k worth of Dell Computer equipment in February of 2000, all with new MS OS installed, a PDA, signed licensed copies of Win2K Server, Advanced Server, and Workstation.

But the biggest lottery I ever won was meeting and marrying my wife.

Skip Towne 03-23-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Damn cheatin' MUrons. Almost as bad as the donkeys.

KCTitus 03-23-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

This reminds me of a time when a friend of mine worked at Royals/Chiefs stadiums as a vendor. Somehow he got ahold of several boxes of all star ballots for baseball-- we guessed there were probably 5,000-10,000 ballots per box.

He took them home and used a drill to punch his votes and then proceeded over the next few weeks to fill the ballot boxes with his votes.

I guess he might have had some impact on the voting, but probably not the deciding factor. I would guess he did about 50-60k votes.