ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The Defense... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105807)

Gaz 12-06-2004 06:45 AM

The Defense...

You can color me stunned. I was certain that two minutes was plenty of time for the Raiders top march down the field and sent it to overtime. Instead, the D brought the heat on Collins and forced some bad throws.

The Defense sealed a victory. Sure, they were abused for the vast majority of the game. The TD romp after the screen pass was particularly humiliating [hit the one with the ball, guys]. Collins had WAY too much time and no interior pressure. Another sub-par performance from a sub-par group.

Still...

THE CHIEFS DEFENSE SEALED A VICTORY!

xoxo~
Gaz
As amazed as the next guy.

MichaelH 12-06-2004 06:48 AM

I had to listen to the game on the net and watch gamecast on NFL.com. The defense made way too many mistakes but they actually sounded better. Maybe the younger talent in the secondary is the way to go.

Braincase 12-06-2004 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH
I had to listen to the game on the net and watch gamecast on NFL.com. The defense made way too many mistakes but they actually sounded better. Maybe the younger talent in the secondary is the way to go.

With young players and Gunther's scheme, you might be onto something. I would, however, get rid of the d-backs coach and replace him with one of Gunther's choosing.

Gaz 12-06-2004 07:02 AM

One isolated data point doth not a trend make...

The Chiefs D looked good at times and pathetic at other times. There is a lot of work to do in the off-season. Maybe too much for a single off-season. And I would not be surprised to see them fold like cheap suits in the next game. It has been that kind of year.

Still, for the first time in a long time, the Chiefs Defense held off The Enemy a sealed a victory. That is wonderful.

That they did it to the Raiders in Oakland, with the “Black Hole” Halloweenies watching is simply priceless.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wonders if Raider Fan makeup runs when wet.

Hammock Parties 12-06-2004 07:07 AM

Gaz, you need to restore your avatar.

Did you enjoy the pencil-neck crushings? You should get yourself a Jared Allen jersey for XMAS. A true neck crusher.

MichaelH 12-06-2004 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainCase
With young players and Gunther's scheme, you might be onto something. I would, however, get rid of the d-backs coach and replace him with one of Gunther's choosing.

I agree. It's hard to imagine Gunther trying to coach anyone with remnants from the former defensive coaching staff.

Red Dawg 12-06-2004 07:35 AM

7 points allowed in second half. That's solid defense. Good for them.

Earthling 12-06-2004 07:37 AM

There was occationally some pretty hard hitting by our D in this game...At one time I found myself muttering 'Damn..Who are these guys?'

ROYC75 12-06-2004 07:44 AM

Sorry Gaz,

I've been to shocked beyond belief to have a rational response.

It may take me until the end of the day to rationalize my thoughts.

Devin Vierth 12-06-2004 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Codger
There was occationally some pretty hard hitting by our D in this game...At one time I found myself muttering 'Damn..Who are these guys?'

I agree, they looked like a different defense in the second half. They came out with some passion and started making hits. I was wondering if Gun chewed them a new one at half time.

Whatever it was, they held the faids to only 7 the second half and on the road that is good defense. Maybe, just maybe some of the young guys are starting to learn the "D".

However, I will withhold judgement on that until the end of the season. Today I will bask in the positives.

Gaz 12-06-2004 07:58 AM

It ain't fixed, but it got the chores done yesterday...

Yesterday did not change my mind about the 2004 Chiefs Defense.

We still need MLB, CB, OLB & DE. I saw very little pressure up the middle from the front four and teams can sucker Allen out of a play far to easily. Our LBs are weak [although Caver and Mitchell played their best game, IMO]. Our secondary is still a disaster, with WRs WIDE open WAY too often. This is not a good Defense.

Still, it was sweet to see Collins knocked around. And the Chiefs Defense sealed a victory. When is the last time THAT happened?

So, let there we rejoicing [however short-lived it may prove to be].

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy for his D [for a change].

Devin Vierth 12-06-2004 08:01 AM

Gaz,

Ditto. But the young guys on the team are getting better. And I do not put the CBs in the young guys catagory.

ROYC75 12-06-2004 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

Yesterday did not change my mind about the 2004 Chiefs Defense.

We still need MLB, CB, OLB & DE. I saw very little pressure up the middle from the front four and teams can sucker Allen out of a play far to easily. Our LBs are weak [although Caver and Mitchell played their best game, IMO]. Our secondary is still a disaster, with WRs WIDE open WAY too often. This is not a good Defense.

Still, it was sweet to see Collins knocked around. And the Chiefs Defense sealed a victory. When is the last time THAT happened?

So, let there we rejoicing [however short-lived it may prove to be].

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy for his D [for a change].

Sorry little buddy, I saw just as many if not more wiffs by Mitchell than I actually saw tackles, what did he have 2 - 3 tackles ?

That's sad to say he had his best game playing the way he did . :shake:

NewChief 12-06-2004 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
Sorry little buddy, I saw just as many if not more wiffs by Mitchell than I actually saw tackles, what did he have 2 - 3 tackles ?

That's sad to say he had his best game palying the way he did . :shake:

No kidding. Mitchell was baaaaad. He had several chances to light people up over the middle. Not only did he fail to lay the wood, he usually failed to even make the tackle. I want to see some headhunting going on from our secondary and linebacking corps.

the Talking Can 12-06-2004 08:04 AM

maybe Mitchell needs glasses?