ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Priest is still my favorite player (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123943)

Red Dawg 09-12-2005 04:04 PM

Priest is still my favorite player

and that's the way it is. LJ is better than we all hoped but Holmes brought our running game out of the dark ages and he gets my respect. O.K. so respect does not win football games but it's not like he's finished. He's still quick as hell, can break tackles and change direction like lightening to get yards.

No LJ bashing here, he is definitely big, fast and explosive with power. Great to have them both.. We can run the ball 30 per game and never wear them out.

Wallcrawler 09-12-2005 05:30 PM

Damn right.

I like Johnson just as much as the next guy, but Im not quite ready to send Holmes to the sidelines quite yet.

This is the guy that put up 66 touchdowns in a 3 year span, as well as broke the NFL single season scoring record we are talking about here.

Johnson is good, and is a very promising young back, but there's no way you sit a healthy Priest Holmes.

Tinlar 09-12-2005 05:47 PM

The problem is LJ will be open for other teams to look at soon... and if he doesn't get to drive this team he'll go to a team that will let him.

Rain Man 09-12-2005 05:51 PM

This surreal bizarro world is really starting to disorient me.

Everyone, repeat after me: Priest Holmes is the top running back in the NFL. He holds the single-season touchdown record, and he's good for 2,000 combined yards over the course of a season.

Deberg_1990 09-12-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinlar
The problem is LJ will be open for other teams to look at soon... and if he doesn't get to drive this team he'll go to a team that will let him.

LJ aint going anywhere. Thats (King Carl's) Boy. LJ is still the only "Superstar" Skill Position player on offense that he has ever drafted.

Well, besides TG I suppose....

J Diddy 09-12-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

I doubt that. He was drafted as the future, I think it will be stupid to let the future get away.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka 09-12-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

He is signed up through 2010, he is not going anywhere.

Saulbadguy 09-12-2005 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
He is signed up through 2010, he is not going anywhere.

Heh. You're dreaming if you think the Chiefs AND/OR Larry Johnson honor that original contract.

HolmeZz 09-12-2005 06:45 PM

Priest is still my favorite player too.

Patty Surtain's making his way up the charts though. :)

alnorth 09-12-2005 06:54 PM

I like Priest, but ultimately I cheer for the laundry, not the player wearing it. If I honestly believed Priest was done I'd be screaming for LJ too.

However, from the cold calculating statistical point of view, LJ has not taken Priest's job, so I support Priest as the starter for now, with LJ getting an increasing number of carries as we transition to him for the future. This offense is possibly the best in the NFL, yet again. We are not going to be much better than we are now (barring injury), no matter who starts. The only direction we have to go is down. LJ has about half a season's worth of carries. The man has not had enough experience to show that he is even better than average with a 90% degree of certainty. We already KNOW Priest is good. The possibility of a slight improvement this year is not worth the risk of a significant fall.

I deal with this issue occasionally at my job, when some of the other less mathematically-inclined departments freak out over last month's numbers, ignoring the years and years of experience before that.

OldTownChief 09-12-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
This surreal bizarro world is really starting to disorient me.

Everyone, repeat after me: Priest Holmes is the top running back in the NFL. He holds the single-season touchdown record, and he's good for 2,000 combined yards over the course of a season.

but, but, but, what about LJ?

Skip Towne 09-12-2005 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth
I like Priest, but ultimately I cheer for the laundry, not the player wearing it. If I honestly believed Priest was done I'd be screaming for LJ too.

However, from the cold calculating statistical point of view, LJ has not taken Priest's job, so I support Priest as the starter for now, with LJ getting an increasing number of carries as we transition to him for the future. This offense is possibly the best in the NFL, yet again. We are not going to be much better than we are now (barring injury), no matter who starts. The only direction we have to go is down. LJ has about half a season's worth of carries. The man has not had enough experience to show that he is even better than average with a 90% degree of certainty. We already KNOW Priest is good. The possibility of a slight improvement this year is not worth the risk of a significant fall.

I deal with this issue occasionally at my job, when some of the other less mathematically-inclined departments freak out over last month's numbers, ignoring the years and years of experience before that.

It is you that is trying to hang onto what was. I don't care what you do at your job, Priest is obviously (to most people) in his twilight years. What a pro athlete has done means absolutely nothing as opposed to other industries. It is what he can do today. LJ can do it much better than Priest as the numbers will show you if you take the time to look at them. Your years and years of experience don't apply to an aging running back. Take your mathematically inclined dumb ass back to Football 101. SF threw out Joe Montana before he completely shot craps (luckily for us). And gained a Hall of Famer in Steve Young. It happens all the time in sports. This isn't sales or whatever you do. If you value the "name on the back of the jersey" keep up your ignorant spiel. I want production and wins.

Ultra Peanut 09-12-2005 07:40 PM

I love having them both back there, getting theirs and running all over the other team. But if I had to pick one... well, it would have to be the younger, faster, stronger one.

As long as they keep playing well, though, there's plenty of room for both of them.

Ultra Peanut 09-12-2005 07:42 PM

And if the worst case happens with LJ (I don't believe it will), there's always the franchise tag.

Skip Towne 09-12-2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psicosis
I love having them both back there, getting theirs and running all over the other team. But if I had to pick one... well, it would have to be the younger, faster, stronger one.

As long as they keep playing well, though, there's plenty of room for both of them.

Damn you're smart! You agree with me.