ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   All alex all the time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307712)

Easy 6 05-12-2017 09:46 PM

All alex all the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870531)
I'd like to get those two really rolling together like Atlanta uses Freeman and Coleman. Just a couple of well balanced runners who run hard as hell and can catch the ball.

This team is going to need a top notch run game to make an AFC Championship under Alex Smith in 2017, along with a top notch defense. Now, if Mahomes becomes as good as many including myself think he could be, it's a whole new level for the Chiefs. The offense could become something it hasn't been in nearly 15 years.

I honestly dont see our guys being quite as dynamic as Atlantas duo

But what our guys lack in explosiveness, they should be be able to make up for with with a grinding, wear you down, kill the clock style... provided Ehingers return is the cure for what ailed us last year

What Alex Smith brings this year, I have no clue... tempted to expect the same old shit because thats how he has mostly played for his entire career

But maybe, just maybe, the writing on the wall spurs him to reach outside of himself and he tries to MAKE plays for once... 'good' Smiff can approach dynamic, we'll see

The pressure will either make him wilt, or make him show off

If he decides to grab his balls, we could have a great year

pugsnotdrugs19 05-12-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870543)
I honestly dont see our guys being quite as dynamic as Atlantas duo

But what our guys lack in explosiveness, they should be be able to make up for with with a grinding, wear you down, kill the clock style... provided Ehingers return is the cure for what ailed us last year

What Alex Smith brings this year, I have no clue... tempted to expect the same old shit because thats how he has mostly played for his entire career

But maybe, just maybe, the writing on the wall spurs him to reach outside of himself and he tries to MAKE plays for once... 'good' Smiff can approach dynamic, we'll see

The pressure will either make him wilt, or make him show off

If he decides to grab his balls, we could have a great year

I have pondered this thought as well. Love or hate what Smith brings, he is human and if he has any sense about him... he'll let 'em hang loose in 2017.

I mean, for all we know he is thinking about playing only a couple more seasons. It wouldn't surprise me a bit given a variety of factors. Regardless, he has been in this situation before and he knows that this could inevitably be his last year starting for a contending team.

Just putting myself in his shoes mentally, there is no way I'm not pushing all my chips in for 2017 and playing much more aggressively. Now, he still has to play within himself to some degree. He knows he can't go out there and start trying to make Pat Mahomes type throws, ones that he just can't physically replicate. But, he can make more of those 20-45 yard passes, it really is just up to him IMO.

I won't get my hopes too high for the outcome, but I think he definitely adjusts his approach this year.

Easy 6 05-12-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870637)
I have pondered this thought as well. Love or hate what Smith brings, he is human and if he has any sense about him... he'll let 'em hang loose in 2017.

I mean, for all we know he is thinking about playing only a couple more seasons. It wouldn't surprise me a bit given a variety of factors. Regardless, he has been in this situation before and he knows that this could inevitably be his last year starting for a contending team.

Just putting myself in his shoes mentally, there is no way I'm not pushing all my chips in for 2017 and playing much more aggressively. Now, he still has to play within himself to some degree. He knows he can't go out there and start trying to make Pat Mahomes type throws, ones that he just can't physically replicate. But, he can make more of those 20-45 yard passes, it really is just up to him IMO.

I won't get my hopes too high for the outcome, but I think he definitely adjusts his approach this year.

Yup... if Smith intends to start somewhere in 2018, he better impress his potential suitors this year

Honestly though, I see him retiring when KC lets him go... he isnt going to a loser franchise to suffer at the end of his career IMO

So if he wants to be a genuine hero, its now or never

ChiefGator 05-13-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870649)
Honestly though, I see him retiring when KC lets him go... he isnt going to a loser franchise to suffer at the end of his career IMO

I agree. Especially after it took him so long to return from his non-concussion last year. I don't think he will want to take more hits for a bottom of the barrel team.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870649)
Yup... if Smith intends to start somewhere in 2018, he better impress his potential suitors this year

So if he wants to be a genuine hero, its now or never

Your expectations are unrealistic, IMO.

Mahomes is just 21 years old. He's a true junior. He has so much to learn that it would be shock if he's on the field before mid-2018 at the earliest. 2019 is the target.

The Chiefs are, rightfully so, looking at the next 10 years plus, not 2017 or 2018. 2018 will be a rebuilding year of sorts as is, with DJ, Hali, Maclin and Bailey unlikely to return. The absence of a first round pick won't help the process, either.

Alex Smith will most likely fulfill his contract. Does anyone want Travis Kelce as the veteran leader of the offense?

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 12870809)
I agree. Especially after it took him so long to return from his non-concussion last year. I don't think he will want to take more hits for a bottom of the barrel team.

If Smith is concerned with the concussion issue, he'd have retired now. And it's silly to think that his only option would be a "bottom barrel" team.

Have you looked at the state of QBing in the NFL today?

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870813)
Your expectations are unrealistic, IMO.

Mahomes is just 21 years old. He's a true junior. He has so much to learn that it would be shock if he's on the field before mid-2018 at the earliest. 2019 is the target.

The Chiefs are, rightfully so, looking at the next 10 years plus, not 2017 or 2018. 2018 will be a rebuilding year of sorts as is, with DJ, Hali, Maclin and Bailey unlikely to return. The absence of a first round pick won't help the process, either.

Alex Smith will most likely fulfill his contract. Does anyone want Travis Kelce as the veteran leader of the offense?

Mahomes turns 21 in September, so really he will be 22 his whole rookie season. He's more like an older senior. If he's the bright kid and worker he is perceived as, the next year and a half will be ample time for him to become 'ready'.

Also, I don't see Maclin and Bailey as cuts at all unless they disappoint mightily or get injured again. If you go by what Dorsey says, they are never truly rebuilding. Regarding the Mahomes pick, he said they made that move to ensure that they remain competitive year in and year out for the foreseeable future.

If the Chiefs are desperate for cap room next offseason, everyone knows where the most fruitful source is.... number 11.

RunKC 05-13-2017 09:59 AM

I see where Dane is coming from, but I don't see the issue with Mahomes starting in 2018. He was an academic all-American in college and used verbiage and playcalls at the LOS.

Reid's offense is very complicated, but Patrick will have roughly 16 months to learn it including 2 training camps and preseasons. I imagine that will be enough for Andy.

As for for the leaders, Maclin and Conley are great leaders IMO. I think maclin would restructure to stay a couple more years.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870822)
Mahomes turns 21 in September, so really he will be 22 his whole rookie season. He's more like an older senior. If he's the bright kid and worker he is perceived as, the next year and a half will be ample time for him to become 'ready'.

Also, I don't see Maclin and Bailey as cuts at all unless they disappoint mightily or get injured again. If you go by what Dorsey says, they are never truly rebuilding. Regarding the Mahomes pick, he said they made that move to ensure that they remain competitive year in and year out for the foreseeable future.

If the Chiefs are desperate for cap room next offseason, everyone knows where the most fruitful source is.... number 11.

Mahomes is a true junior at this point. Turning 22 in September doesn't make him an "old" senior. The Chiefs don't have to rush him, as Smith is under contract and I don't they they will rush him, as it won't benefit the team in the long run.

Under no scenario can I envision the Chiefs paying a 30 year old Maclin, who's clearly on the decline, $13.4 million in 2018. Look to the drafting of Chesson and the large number of UDFA's as proof they're looking to upgrade the WR corp.

Same for Bailey. He'd need to have an insane, breakout season this year in order to justify an $8 million dollar cap hit and with the drafting of Kpassagnon and Jones, the writing is on the wall.

O.city 05-13-2017 10:11 AM

They aren't gonna pay to keep smith next year. 17 million in cap savings with their next hand picked guy on the bench isn't likely.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870834)
Mahomes is a true junior at this point. Turning 22 in September doesn't make him an "old" senior. The Chiefs don't have to rush him, as Smith is under contract and I don't they they will rush him, as it won't benefit the team in the long run.

Under no scenario can I envision the Chiefs paying a 30 year old Maclin, who's clearly on the decline, $13.4 million in 2018. Look to the drafting of Chesson and the large number of UDFA's as proof they're looking to upgrade the WR corp.

Same for Bailey. He'd need to have an insane, breakout season this year in order to justify an $8 million dollar cap hit and with the drafting of Kpassagnon and Jones, the writing is on the wall.

A lot of the financial decisions all come back to what happens at QB. If they feel like they can move on from Smith, they could cut him, Hali, Jah Reid, and Demetrius Harris and have $21.6M in cap space (according to OTC). If you add DJ into that, the number jumps to almost $30M, and you'd still have Maclin and Bailey on the roster. That would be enough cap room to make whatever moves/extensions they might want.

On the flip side, if they feel like they have to keep Alex for 2018, I would hope they can get him to take somewhat of a pay cut. Assuming he would make what he is scheduled to make, and cutting Maclin, Bailey, DJ, Hali, Reid, and Harris would put them at around $27M in cap room. Either scenario presents a lot of veterans being released, but the first one is more likely IMO as they have their biggest investment waiting in the wings behind Smith.

JMO, but I think Maclin bounces back this year. Not necessarily a 1000 yards, as that will be tough to get with Kelce and Hill around and Alex at QB, but I think he will be a threat.

RunKC 05-13-2017 10:17 AM

The rookie deal is so important, especially with guys like Ford and Peters needing new contracts soon.

It would be foolish to waste half of his low salary deal bc Alex was still here being paid big money.
We basically have 4 years bc that 5th year is $19 million

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12870842)
The rookie deal is so important, especially with guys like Ford and Peters needing new contracts soon.

It would be foolish to waste half of his low salary deal bc Alex was still here being paid big money.
We basically have 4 years bc that 5th year is $19 million

This. Give him the one year in 2017 to learn the mental side, to learn how to do things in the league. Let him learn on the field against the first team defense everyday in practice as the scout team QB. Then, as 2018 comes, let him take over the reigns. The 3-year window begins to add the pieces you need around him to win with a cheap QB.

The 5th year option will still be cheap IF he is really good. But, it is still a huge gap from what his rookie contract will pay out each year. In years 2-4, Dorsey will be able to add those veteran guys that can put the team over the hump in FA. I think back to when Dungver added Talib and Ware. Those moves were just what they needed. Or, when Seattle signed Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril while Wilson was cheap.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12870837)
They aren't gonna pay to keep smith next year. 17 million in cap savings with their next hand picked guy on the bench isn't likely.

Then they must be prepared for a 6-10 or 7-9 season, which I think is highly unlikely.

RunKC 05-13-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870846)
This. Give him the one year in 2017 to learn the mental side, to learn how to do things in the league. Let him learn on the field against the first team defense everyday in practice as the scout team QB. Then, as 2018 comes, let him take over the reigns. The 3-year window begins to add the pieces you need around him to win with a cheap QB.

The 5th year option will still be cheap IF he is really good. But, it is still a huge gap from what his rookie contract will pay out each year. In years 2-4, Dorsey will be able to add those veteran guys that can put the team over the hump in FA. I think back to when Dungver added Talib and Ware. Those moves were just what they needed. Or, when Seattle signed Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril while Wilson was cheap.

Agreed.

Ideally I'd like to cut Alex, restructure Maclin, tell Tamba to restructure or cut him, cut Reid and cut Bailey if needed.

Easily enough to give Ford and Logan Big new deals along with another good player or two.