ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football AFC Playoff Picture - 4 games left (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267320)

Mile High Mania 12-03-2012 09:04 AM

AFC Playoff Picture - 4 games left

Ok, so I know that most care very little about this, but it is football. You're going to watch the season end and the playoffs, so I'm curious as to your thoughts on how things might play out.

After week 13, we have the following:

#1 - Texans (11-1)
#2 - Patriots (9-3)
#3 - Ravens (9-3)
#4 - Broncos (9-3)
#5 - Colts (8-4)
#6 - Steelers (7-5)

Looking to get in are the Bengals at 7-5, then a gaggle of spares like the Jets are clinging to unrealistic chances of advancing.

And, thanks to the Steelers defeating the Ravens, we have a 3-way tie at 9-3, thus moving the Patriots into the #2 seed for now.

Texans and Patriots are set up to get the bye if the playoffs ended today, with the Steelers palying at Baltimore and the Colts playing at Denver.

Remaining Schedules:

Texans -
@ Patriots
Colts
Vikings (?)
@ Colts

Patriots -
Texans
49ers
@ Jaguars
Dolpins

Ravens -
@ Redskins
Broncos
Giants
@ Bengals

Broncos -
@ Raiders
@ Ravens
Browns
Chiefs

Colts -
Titans
@ Texans
@ Chiefs
Texans

Steelers -
Chargers
@ Cowboys
Bengals
Browns

Bengals -
Cowboys
@ Eagles
@ Steelers
Ravens

I listed the Cowboys as tough because honestly you just don't know with that damn team, they have the firepower, but are far from dominant.

The Bengals have a hell of a stretch to get into that top 6 right now, especially if they lose to the Steelers.

The Ravens and Texans, to me, have the toughest schedules at this point. Patriots have 2 tough games and really, the Broncos just have the Ravens. Yes, Oakland on their turf could be a tough one, but they seem pretty deflated.

I think it will be interesting to watch how the seeds shuffle, if at all. Denver needs to go 3-1, worst case if they plan to move up from #4 and into the top 2. Texans and Patriots need to stumble against their remaining teams - and a lot rides on the Colts/Texans as they play twice.

Either way, I think Denver can move into #3 fairly easily if they can defeat the Ravens, but they'll need some help to leap into #2 since NE has the H2H tiebreaker.

I don't think HOU will lose hold of the #1 seed though, not with 4 left and a 2 game lead.

Your thoughts? (aside from "do not care")

Mile High Mania 12-03-2012 09:05 AM

There were 2 big wins this week... the Colts and the Steelers... that held things in check for the most part, making CIN's road really tough. And, the Colts are really playing well right now, I'm not sure too many teams will be taking them light in the playoffs. I'd really like to avoid a Peyton vs Luck playoff game if possible, if for no other reason than just avoiding all that hype leading into it.

RealSNR 12-03-2012 09:06 AM

I really hope Denver is still hunting for a first round bye going into Week 17. We need you guys to win that game.

That is all.

Dayze 12-03-2012 09:08 AM

I'm gonig to laugh my balls off if the Texans win the SB.
since they've been around for like 10 years?.
Chiefs....42 years lol

Amnorix 12-03-2012 09:10 AM

It's very interesting, though probably not for Chiefs fans.

Hard to see the Texans blowing their lead. Pats are best positioned to move into a tie with them and, if they beat them in their head-to-head matchup, then the Pats will move into the 1 slot. That said, games against the Niners and Texans, it's ahrd to imagine the Patriots sweeping the rest of the year, which they would need to do to move into the 1 slot.

Patriots have H2H on Broncos, as well as a stellar record within the AFC (2 of their 3 losses are NFC teams), so the Broncos definitely need to finish one game AHEAD of the Pats to have a higher seed. All tie-breakers go to the Pats.

Pats/Ravens is weird, as 3 way tie goes to the Pats over the Ravens despite Ravens beating the Pats head to head. With the Ravens tough slate ahead, I'm leaning towards a Broncos/Pats battle for the 2 seed, with the Ravens slipping a bit. Ravens also seem to be declining. They had some absurd near-miss losses (4th and 29, give me a break) and then lose to a Roethlisbergerless Steelers team.

We'll see, but it should be fun to watch.

Amnorix 12-03-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9175570)
There were 2 big wins this week... the Colts and the Steelers... that held things in check for the most part, making CIN's road really tough. And, the Colts are really playing well right now, I'm not sure too many teams will be taking them light in the playoffs. I'd really like to avoid a Peyton vs Luck playoff game if possible, if for no other reason than just avoiding all that hype leading into it.

How does a Brady/Manning playoff game look to you? Chances are good that it will happen at some point along the road, possibly even as an AFCCG.

Amnorix 12-03-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9175577)
I'm gonig to laugh my balls off if the Texans win the SB.
since they've been around for like 10 years?.
Chiefs....42 years lol

Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Chargers, Cardinals, the entire state of Ohio and some other teams nod and say "yeah, that would suck".

Meanwhile, the Detriot Lions (last championship -- 1957) tell the lot of you to piss off.

Mile High Mania 12-03-2012 09:35 AM

I definitely welcome another matchup with the Patriots and the Texans this post season.

NE has an 8-1 conf record, while DEN is 6-2. Both are undefeated within their divisions, both have only 1 home loss. The H2H is key right now.

I like Denver's chances with their 4 remaining. NE has a tougher final 4 than Denver, but we'll see - this is where we find out what teams are made of as they prepare to enter the playoffs. Texans and 49ers need to drop NE, Ravens need to drop 2 while Denver goes 3-1 at worst and they get the #2 seed.

Patriots -
Texans
49ers
@ Jaguars
Dolpins

Ravens -
@ Redskins
Broncos
Giants
@ Bengals

New World Order 12-03-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9175632)
I definitely welcome another matchup with the Patriots and the Texans this post season.

NE has an 8-1 conf record, while DEN is 6-2. Both are undefeated within their divisions, both have only 1 home loss. The H2H is key right now.

I like Denver's chances with their 4 remaining. NE has a tougher final 4 than Denver, but we'll see - this is where we find out what teams are made of as they prepare to enter the playoffs. Texans and 49ers need to drop NE, Ravens need to drop 2 while Denver goes 3-1 at worst and they get the #2 seed.

Patriots -
Texans
49ers
@ Jaguars
Dolpins

Ravens -
@ Redskins
Broncos
Giants
@ Bengals

Not at NE.

Mile High Mania 12-03-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9175651)
Not at NE.

Ideally no, you want home playoff games, but I will take either.

New World Order 12-03-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 9175660)
Ideally no, you want home playoff games, but I will take either.

I think denver beats everyone except NE.

Rasputin 12-03-2012 09:47 AM

The only big game I curr about this weekend is us losing to the Browns.

Got to get back on focus of what is at stake. Getting Pioli fired and getting that first pick of the draft.

Geno Smith baby.

New World Order 12-03-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9175675)
The only big game I curr about this weekend is us losing to the Browns.

Got to get back on focus of what is at stake. Getting Pioli fired and getting that first pick of the draft.

Geno Smith baby.

That is true, while fat scott is at donut king we must be focusing on losing to the browns.

Mile High Mania 12-03-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9175671)
I think denver beats everyone except NE.

Possibly, but I love the way the Broncos' defense has played recently and yesterday was huge for that side of the team.

I'd welcome a Manning/Luck matchup, but honestly - I'll take the bye if that is the other option. Denver at home in the playoffs .. that is the goal.

The big piece for them is winning at Baltimore... if they don't do that, then #4 seed is their best bet as they won't really move up at all. If they can beat Baltimore, then that is a huge statement for the team. I think they should be handle the Raiders, Browns and Chiefs - although each of them presents their own challenges and each could be a trap game.

They're on a 7 game win streak... just keep focused on the task at hand, the next game - which is at Oakland on Thursday. I'm a big fan of the Broncos, Texans and 49ers the next 4 weeks.

If DEN can pull off that #2 seed and then face NE and HOU in Denver for the playoffs - that would be my Christmas wish.

Rasputin 12-03-2012 09:56 AM

I hate it what Bitchler did this weekend. I feel robbed as a fan that as a fan I have the right to hate the GM of our team for bringing us crap. I'm not letting that coward take away my feelings toward what is best for the team.

It's also bullshit it took a murder suicide for this team to play like a team. Altho I am proud of the guys and have most sympathy for them and the coaches for making the best of the situation and my heart is with them.

I can still hate Scott Pioli he didn't do anything, I just feel bad for him to have to witness what he saw in the parking lot. Life goes on.