ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Define success / failure for the 2013 season (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269526)

Sorter 01-31-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9367168)
Would it be reasonable to project our quarterback as a franchise QB?

If yes, pass. If no, fail.

this

keg in kc 01-31-2013 11:48 AM

Impossible to say without knowing what the roster looks like. The first step should should be quarterback, of course. I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't take one in the 1st round, but there are other ways to go behind center, even if I think they're the wrong ways. After that, if they don't think any players are salvageable outside of the obvious ones and take a scythe to the roster, we're probably looking at 6 or fewer wins. If they think they can build on what's here, then we should see 8 or more.

Since they're sticking with the 3-4, my guess is we're not going to see re-building.

Either way, wins or losses aside, success for me will be putting a competitive product on the field and being a better team in week 17 than in week 1. That's really it.

The Franchise 01-31-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9367521)
Impossible to say without knowing what the roster looks like. The first step should should be quarterback, of course. I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't take one in the 1st round, but there are other ways to go behind center, even if I think they're the wrong ways. After that, if they don't think any players are salvageable outside of the obvious ones and take a scythe to the roster, we're probably looking at 6 or fewer wins. If they think they can build on what's here, then we should see 8 or more.

Since they're sticking with the 3-4, my guess is we're not going to see re-building.

Either way, wins or losses aside, success for me will be putting a competitive product on the field and being a better team in week 17 than in week 1. That's really it.

Improved coaching and a last place schedule should at least get us to 8-8.

BossChief 01-31-2013 11:58 AM

I want to see us draft a quarterback at 1.1 and for his last 6 games to be noticeably better than his first 6 games.

That's pretty much it and if we can do that, I can see this team getting one of the wildcards.

keg in kc 01-31-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9367542)
Improved coaching and a last place schedule should at least get us to 8-8.

As I know you know, "last place schedule" is something that's gone the way of a dodo bird. It's 2 games difference.

My main point was that if they bring in 45 new guys, they probably won't win many games. History tells us that, regardless of who's on the coaching staff.

(I don't think they'll do that, though)

warpaint* 01-31-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9367165)
The reason I say that is because if the rookie struggles, I understand. It happens. It can affect how many games you win. For this year, I just want to see the top stud college field general behind center. That's it.

Struggle is one thing. If he looks like Ryan Leaf it wouldn't be a success to me. Drafting a QB high is a prerequisite for the off-season being successful I certainly agree w/ that.

warpaint* 01-31-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9367168)
Would it be reasonable to project our quarterback as a franchise QB?

If yes, pass. If no, fail.

^^^^^^^

I don't care what the record is, if the answer to this question is yes the future will be promising.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-31-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9367716)
Struggle is one thing. If he looks like Ryan Leaf it wouldn't be a success to me. Drafting a QB high is a prerequisite for the off-season being successful I certainly agree w/ that.

We've seen some QB's get drafted and come in and have instant success. I'm not going to jump off a bridge if that doesn't happen for our guy, but if he looks like Ryan Leaf I will almost assuredly be high on pain pills for the last 6 games of the year.

warpaint* 01-31-2013 01:05 PM

You and me both. I am w/ what you are saying.

O.city 01-31-2013 01:06 PM

No players committing murder would be a good start

Too soon?

saphojunkie 01-31-2013 01:19 PM

This is what I define as success for 2013:

Drafting one of the first two QBs taken in this draft. If that is Geno or Wilson at 1.1, I'm happy as a clam. If that means we traded down, got an extra couple high draft picks, and still got a guy I would have been happy with at 1.1, even better. If that means that we got a guy at #34 that I would have been happy with at 1.1, then we just ****ed the league, and rock on. But I don't want the 6th QB taken. I know that works sometimes (Kaepernick, Wilson, Brady) but I don't want it.

Resign Bowe.

Resign Albert.

Win at least 6 home games.

Average margin of defeat. I think this was the biggest glaring weakness. I don't want to see any blowouts. None. No games lost by two touchdowns or more.

tooge 01-31-2013 01:22 PM

For me it's QB with the first pick, or a trade back but still in the top 10 and still a QB with the pick. After that, improved coaching that leads us to at least 7 wins