ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Keep f***ing doubting Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276466)

Saccopoo 09-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10007112)
Smith, largely, played like complete ****ing shit on Thursday night. However, positive perceptions are defined by two specific plays:

1. 3rd-down play to Avery when Smith was standing on his own goal line. Absolutely beautiful, perfect throw. Multiple, tight coverage. And the ball is placed perfectly at the most crucial point of the game.
2. Correct read and quick throw to Bowe on 3rd down later in this same drive. Routine throw but exceptional read.

The question is: Can Smith replicate this type of performance throughout an entire game? If so, he becomes a top-10 QB. Easy. If not, he remains what he's been thus far in red and gold (and as his career stats suggest). Mediocre. At best.

Mediocre is not giving the ball to the defense.

Mediocre is absolutely controlling the game with clock killing long drives in the 4th quarter.

Mediocre is seeing the whole field, going through multiple progressions and making the correct call with the ball.

Mediocre is making sure that the ball goes in a positive direction with his feet when the offensive line breaks down protection time after time.

Mediocre is winning the ball control, time of possession and field position all game long, allowing your dynamic playmakers on defense to be rested and able to attack the offense rather than play back off the ball.

I'll take mediocre and 3-0 over whatever sizzle RGIII might possess and the loss of draft picks that gets you with that shitbag Redskins team.

Go watch what mediocre did against the Cowboys versus what kind of ass kicking they are dishing out today against a Rams team that went 4-1-1 in the NFC West last season.

I think a lot of you people have absolute dog shit for brains in terms of what "mediocre" is as it relates to a quarterback and his ability to work within a particular system and the overall effectiveness he has on/with a team.

milkman 09-22-2013 12:27 PM

Until about the middle of the third quarter, when Shwartz took over at LG, and we started seeing more of Sherman, the Chiefs and Eagles had relatively equal time of possesion and number of plays.

milkman 09-22-2013 12:32 PM

I firmly believe that without Donterror's impact on this defense, this team would be sitting at 1-2, and main topic of discussion would be Alex Smith's inability to make plays and convert 3rd downs.

nychief 09-22-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10007413)
I firmly believe that without Donterror's impact on this defense, this team would be sitting at 1-2, and main topic of discussion would be Alex Smith's inability to make plays and convert 3rd downs.

Oh, for ****'s sake, are we playing make believe? I firmly believe that without legs, Alex smith would have trouble walking.

milkman 09-22-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 10007459)
Oh, for ****'s sake, are we playing make believe? I firmly believe that without legs, Alex smith would have trouble walking.

I'm surprised you're smart enough to reach that conclusion.

JENKINSWINS 09-22-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10007307)
Mediocre is not giving the ball to the defense.

Mediocre is absolutely controlling the game with clock killing long drives in the 4th quarter.

Mediocre is seeing the whole field, going through multiple progressions and making the correct call with the ball.

Mediocre is making sure that the ball goes in a positive direction with his feet when the offensive line breaks down protection time after time.

Mediocre is winning the ball control, time of possession and field position all game long, allowing your dynamic playmakers on defense to be rested and able to attack the offense rather than play back off the ball.

I'll take mediocre and 3-0 over whatever sizzle RGIII might possess and the loss of draft picks that gets you with that shitbag Redskins team.

Go watch what mediocre did against the Cowboys versus what kind of ass kicking they are dishing out today against a Rams team that went 4-1-1 in the NFC West last season.

I think a lot of you people have absolute dog shit for brains in terms of what "mediocre" is as it relates to a quarterback and his ability to work within a particular system and the overall effectiveness he has on/with a team.

In

chiefs1okie 09-22-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

ROFL

Canofbier 09-22-2013 01:08 PM

I'm willing to reserve judgment on Smith's conservative play until we lose a game because of it. There is no lack of quarterbacks nowadays who are eager to throw the ball down the field and make big plays, but they also tend to be the ones to put their defense in bad situations early in games.

If our style of offense keeps the game close by not taking risks early on but is able to come through when it counts to win the game in the end, I'm content with that.

There's no doubt that we'll be in a situation later this year where our defense is unable to contain a team (read: Denver Mannings) and I'll be interested to see what our offense does in that scenario.

nychief 09-22-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10007497)
I'm surprised you're smart enough to reach that conclusion.

Zinger. Please entertain us with some more of your theories about what would happen in an alternate reality in a lame attempt to bash Alex Smith.

JENKINSWINS 09-22-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 10007577)
I'm willing to reserve judgment on Smith's conservative play until we lose a game because of it. There is no lack of quarterbacks nowadays who are eager to throw the ball down the field and make big plays, but they also tend to be the ones to put their defense in bad situations early in games.

If our style of offense keeps the game close by not taking risks early on but is able to come through when it counts to win the game in the end, I'm content with that.

There's no doubt that we'll be in a situation later this year where our defense is unable to contain a team (read: Denver Mannings) and I'll be interested to see what our offense does in that scenario.

This is a good approach and the only one that makes sense. All the girls with the "I've been hurt in the past" approach, need to take notes.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

LMAO

milkman 09-22-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 10007587)
Zinger. Please entertain us with some more of your theories about what would happen in an alternate reality in a lame attempt to bash Alex Smith.

Not bashing Smith.

I am talking about the inability of the offense to consistently sustain drives, and who the focal point of discussion would be if this defense wasn't playing at a high level, making plays, and getting the offense the ball in favorable field position.

Sandy Vagina 09-22-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10007606)
Not bashing Smith.

I am talking about the inability of the offense to consistently sustain drives, and who the focal point of discussion would be if this defense wasn't playing at a high level, making plays, and getting the offense the ball in favorable field position.

The KC offensive efficiency rank so far is 12th in the League. Pretty damn good for a new team like this. Few if any teams get "consistently sustained drives."

:spock:

milkman 09-22-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 10007623)
The KC offensive efficiency rank so far is 12th in the League. Pretty damn good for a new team like this. Few if any teams get "consistently sustained drives."

:spock:

It's about perception.

See the bitching in the game threads.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-22-2013 01:31 PM

I'm definitely not satisfied with our ability to move the ball yet. Charles needs to be getting more carries and some blocking to go with. Smith has not been as accurate as preseason. I expect it to start clicking a little better these next couple weeks. The Giants look vulnerable to our Defense and with 10 days rest we should be fine.