ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football surgery on RGIII’s knee reveals damage to the ACL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268673)

Mr. Laz 01-09-2013 11:48 AM

surgery on RGIII’s knee reveals damage to the ACL

Source says surgery on Robert Griffin III’s knee reveals damage to the ACL of the Washington Redskins QB

The Washington Redskins quarterback had surgery Wednesday morning to repair a torn lateral collateral ligament in his right knee. The procedure also examined Griffin’s ACL.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 11:57

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...b10s-1-web.jpg L. Todd Spencer/AP

Washington Redskins QB Robert Griffin III reinjures his right knee as he falls awkwardly while throwing an incomplete pass under pressure from Seattle Seahawks linebacker Malcolm Smith.

WASHINGTON - A person familiar with the situation says the surgery on Robert Griffin III’s knee revealed damage to the ACL.
The Washington Redskins quarterback had surgery Wednesday morning to repair a torn lateral collateral ligament in his right knee. The procedure also examined Griffin’s ACL, which he tore while playing for Baylor in 2009. Another torn ACL would complicate Griffin’s chances of returning by the start of next season.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Redskins had not made an announcement about the latest details surrounding the rookie quarterback’s injury.
Griffin sprained the LCL last month and reinjured the knee in Sunday’s playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks.
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...b10s-2-web.jpg John Lok/AP

A hobbled Redskins QB Robert Griffin III lies on the ground after fumbling the ball against the Seattle Seahawks during the fourth quarter of Sunday's Wild Card loss.

HC_Chief 01-09-2013 11:50 AM

Not surprising.

The good news is an ACL is no longer a career death sentence. He will be back, just fine, next season.

jd1020 01-09-2013 11:51 AM

I thought I read somewhere that they found a full tear of the ACL and LCL.

BigMeatballDave 01-09-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9299804)
I thought I read somewhere that they found a full tear of the ACL and LCL.

Partial ACL tear.

Good enough for normal knee function, not for an athlete. They are replacing it.

Quote:

"Robert's ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession," Griffin II said, via text. "You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace."

Dartgod 01-09-2013 11:56 AM

I heard on the radio this morning (before 7:00 AM CST) that they had already determined that he had a complete tear of the ACL and were reconstructing it in today's surgery along with fixing the partial tear in the LCL.

suds79 01-09-2013 11:58 AM

Love this guy's talent.

Don't love what I think is going to be an injury riddled, short career.

He takes a lot of hits.

Mr. Laz 01-09-2013 12:00 PM

<table style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><tbody><tr><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">Robert Griffin III’s surgery completed

</td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><table style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><tbody><tr><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;" valign="top"><table style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="50px"><tbody><tr><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;" align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000">Jan</td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;" align="center">9</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;" valign="top">1/9/2013 11:55:01 AM</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td style="color: rgb(46, 61, 71); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">A person familiar with the situation said that Robert Griffin III’s knee surgery was completed just after noon Wednesday, Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports.
Dr. James Andrews repaired both Griffin’s lateral collateral and anterior cruciate ligaments, the person said. According to that person, Griffin plans to remain in Florida for the foreseeable future to be monitored and begin his rehabilitation. The initial six to eight weeks of recovery are considered critical key to his rehabilitation, the person said.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Thig Lyfe 01-09-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9299825)
Love this guy's talent.

He takes a lot of hits.

Yeah. This makes me sad. And Shanahan could lose his job if RGIII doesn't come back strong from this.

Ace Gunner 01-09-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Love this guy's talent.

He takes a lot of hits.

That's the offensive scheme IMO -- Shanny went for broke this season... He broke.

Saul Good 01-09-2013 12:07 PM

Hasn't he already broken his leg twice in the past?

Reerun_KC 01-09-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Love this guy's talent.

He takes a lot of hits.

Sadly this....

Thankfully Geno is a pocket passet...

suds79 01-09-2013 12:08 PM

Can we scrap the read option in the NFL now? It's fun to watch but gets guys hurt.

Unless your QB is freaky big like Cam Newton, just doesn't make sense to me.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-09-2013 12:09 PM

Boy, it's not often I lament over an athlete's injury, but this is an exception. He's not 12 years into his career. This ****ing sucks for him, and it's much worse than Berry's, or Charle's, or Moeaki's injury. He may never be the same again, and he was supposed to be special.

Thig Lyfe 01-09-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9299865)
Boy, it's not often I lament over an athlete's injury, but this is an exception. He's not 12 years into his career. This ****ing sucks for him, and it's much worse than Berry's, or Charle's, or Moeaki's injury. He may never be the same again, and he was supposed to be special.

:(

Red And Yellow 01-09-2013 12:10 PM

I don't know why they pushed him so hard this season, I realize its the playoffs but no excuse, he was looking like his knee hurt all game even before that bad snap...