ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ali - Frazier III (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119239)

penchief 07-09-2005 07:44 PM

Ali - Frazier III

I'm watching the replay on ESPN Classic right now. Damn, I don't think I've ever seen a better fight.

penchief 07-09-2005 07:48 PM

Ali just knocked Frazier's mouthguard across the ring!

Skip Towne 07-09-2005 07:48 PM

Thrilla in Manila. Frazier's head is made of concrete. Best fight I ever saw.

penchief 07-09-2005 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne

I'm just amazed at how they have gone at each other non-stop in every round. They must have been custom-made to fight each other.

Ooh! The fight got stopped after 14 rounds! Ali Wins! But he's too exhausted to get out of his corner!

ChiTown 07-09-2005 07:59 PM

Quote:

I remember watching that fight with my Dad. My Dad absolutely hated ALI. I absolutely loved watching the guy fight. He made boxing a sport to watch.....

TRR 07-09-2005 08:01 PM

How much holding can a fighter do in one fight? I think Ali tried to find out just that. I'm surprised they didn't start taking points away.

penchief 07-09-2005 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
I remember watching that fight with my Dad. My Dad absolutely hated ALI. I absolutely loved watching the guy fight. He made boxing a sport to watch.....

The heavywieght class has never been the same without him. Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were the only boxers that kept my interest in the sport.

4th and Long 07-09-2005 08:04 PM

http://www.reunionswel.com/miket2/No...laThriller.gif
"Come on gorilla! We in Manila!"

Taco John 07-09-2005 08:05 PM

Was that the one with all the punching?

Skip Towne 07-09-2005 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penchief
The heavywieght class has never been the same without him. Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard were the only boxers that kept my interest in the sport.

Ali was the fastest HW ever. He had the quickness of guys in much lower weight classes. Sugar Ray vs Duran I was my 2nd favorite fight.

penchief 07-09-2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
Was that the one with all the punching?

I don't know, but there was a good bit of punching in the one I just saw.

penchief 07-09-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Ali was the fastest HW ever. He had the quickness of guys in much lower weight classes. Sugar Ray vs Duran I was my 2nd favorite fight.

The one where Leonard's strategy was to go toe-to-toe with Duran instead of jab-and-move?

Also, it always amazed me how Ali could just pull his head back and avoid punches by just a fraction of an inch.

Skip Towne 07-09-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
How much holding can a fighter do in one fight? I think Ali tried to find out just that. I'm surprised they didn't start taking points away.

They didn't even warn him. It's the ref's job to keep 'em apart.

Skip Towne 07-09-2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penchief
The one where Leonard's strategy was to go toe-to-toe with Duran instead of jab-and-move?

Also, it always amazed me how Ali could just pull his head back and avoid punches by just a fraction of an inch.

Yep. Duran won it by decision. I saw it on closed circuit at Kemper Arena. I was also fond of Ali's shuffle. He'd be backpedaling, do the shuffle and let the opponent take the punch while moving toward Ali. The line on Duran was "Hard to hit, impossible to hurt".

Chiefs Pantalones 07-09-2005 08:18 PM

Any of you guys seen Million Dollar Baby? Pretty good movie. Kind of like Rocky, but a chick is the fighter. What happens in the end is something not everyone would agree with. That Swank chick sure can act, btw. Every movie I've seen her in, she's done a great job. Eastwood is good too. Morgan Freeman is great as well.