ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs NFL will provide benefits to Belcher's daughter (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267382)

DaFace 12-04-2012 10:45 PM

NFL will provide benefits to Belcher's daughter

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/...r-nfl-benefits

Quote:

NFL will provide benefits to Jovan Belcher's daughter
By JonTayler on Dec 4, 8:48p

Three-month-old Zoey will receive yearly payments for the next 18 to 23 years of her life as part of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

The daughter of former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, who committed suicide on Dec. 1 after murdering his girlfriend, will be financially supported by the NFL.

Three-month-old Zoey is the daughter of Belcher and Kasandra Perkins, whom Belcher shot early on Saturday before killing himself at the Chiefs' practice facility. She was at home when Belcher killed Perkins, then bent over her body to apologize and kiss her on the forehead. After that, Belcher kissed Zoey as well before fleeing the house.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, as part of the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, Zoey's guardian or her estate will receive $9,000 per month over the next four years, which amounts to $109,000 per year. In the fifth year, she'll receive $48,000. From then on, she'll be given $52,000 per year each year until she turns 18 or 23, depending on whether or not she goes to college.

According to multiple media sources, the relationship between Belcher and Perkins had been strained, with constant arguments over things like money. The Chiefs were reportedly providing counseling for Belcher.

Zoey is currently in the custody of her grandmother, Belcher's mother.
(And yes - I know Laz posted it in the other thread. I hate mega threads.)

Demonpenz 12-04-2012 10:47 PM

I am sure the gun manufacturer will chip in a bunch as well.

Bowser 12-04-2012 10:48 PM

Very cool.

Ceej 12-04-2012 10:49 PM

Very cool.

Ceej 12-04-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9181660)
Very cool.

I just Q'ed so hard.

:(

Shogun 12-04-2012 10:50 PM

Nicely done CBA

luv 12-04-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9181665)
I just Q'ed so hard.

:(

It's alright. Bowser enjoys a good facial.

Hootie 12-04-2012 10:51 PM

This is nice and all, it really is...

but I guess I just don't understand it?

Why does she get 1.3M because her dad was a murderer and killed her mom? I'm glad this little girl will be financially sound and at least have a great trust fund set up for her for when she turns 18 but...I just, I guess I don't see why?

I'm not trying to be insensitive I'm just wondering why she's entitled to this money from the NFL?

Does this make sense or do I just sound like an asshole?

In58men 12-04-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181673)

Why does she get 1.3M because her dad was a murderer and killed her mom? I'm glad this little girl will be financially sound and at least have a great trust fund set up for her for when she turns 18 but...I just, I guess I don't see why?

I'm not trying to be insensitive I'm just wondering why she's entitled to this money from the NFL?

Oh would you shut the **** up

Phobia 12-04-2012 10:53 PM

We have an extra bedroom.

Hootie 12-04-2012 10:53 PM

Javon made $2M this year...I assume he didn't spend it all.

I was just figuring one of the grandparents would be given custody and a trust with any remaining assets from the estate (and I assume the man wasn't broke) + whatever he had left on his contract this year would be set up for the girl for when she turned 18 to get some sort of a lump sum - yearly child support from the estate for the grandparent with custody.

Not quite sure why the NFL pays 18 years more than a lot of two family incomes bring home per year.

DaFace 12-04-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

It's in the CBA, so it's effectively built-in life insurance.

Tombstone RJ 12-04-2012 10:53 PM

I wonder if Belcher was smart enough to have an life insurance policy too. Eh, who am I kidding...

Hootie 12-04-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9181676)
Oh would you shut the **** up

really?

I'm not even trying to be an asshole or spam or anything.

I'm just curious as to why she's getting 18 years of payments from the NFL.

It just doesn't make sense to me, cool or not cool. I just don't get it.

DaFace 12-04-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9181685)
I wonder if Belcher was smart enough to have an life insurance policy too. Eh, who am I kidding...

My guess is that's why it's in there. A lot of players probably aren't savvy enough to get life insurance when they're that young.

Rasputin 12-04-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Is that her fault?

Dont be such a Hootie & a Blowass

Hootie 12-04-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181683)
It's in the CBA, so it's effectively built-in life insurance.

Ok. That makes sense to me I suppose.

I was honestly just curious and trying to get an answer...I had just figured she'd be the prime beneficiary to the estate left behind, didn't realize she'd be getting payments until she was 18-23 from the NFL.

I wonder if she has any sort of financial protection from the guardian, or if the guardian can do what he/she chooses with that $9K per month?

Rain Man 12-04-2012 10:57 PM

Eh, she'll blow it all on collector Barbies and Build-A-Bears before she's 10.

Hootie 12-04-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9181688)
Is that her fault?

Dont be such a Hootie & a Blowass

Never said it was her fault.

I was just curious, and I never thought of it as a 'life insurance' type of deal. So my question was answered. Carry on.

DaFace 12-04-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181689)
I wonder if she has any sort of financial protection from the guardian, or if the guardian can do what he/she chooses with that $9K per month?

I was wondering about that myself. I'd be a little nervous she might end up with someone who will just leech off of that money and not use it specifically for the girl.

mcaj22 12-04-2012 10:58 PM

shes essentially going to be set for life but at the cost of never having a mother or father during her childhood, teen, and young adult life.

so

it's pretty much

would I rather be poor and have two parents

or

be rich and have no parents

I'd take the first every time over 100k a year. Grandma cant teach her the same stuff mom and dad could have.

luv 12-04-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

I was honestly just curious and trying to get an answer...I had just figured she'd be the prime beneficiary to the estate left behind, didn't realize she'd be getting payments until she was 18-23 from the NFL.

I'm sure there would be stipulations in something like that. Typically it can only be used for education, medical, and for the benefit of the child. I would think the guardian would have to get such things approved by a trust company.

AussieChiefsFan 12-04-2012 10:59 PM

Nice!

Rasputin 12-04-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

I would assume that the guardian will have total control of the money untill she is old enough to be responsible with it or untill she turns 18. The courts would trust the guardian to do the right thing with the money in Zoey best interest & I would trust the same.

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9181701)
shes essentially going to be set for life but at the cost of never having a mother or father during her childhood, teen, and young adult life.

so

it's pretty much

would I rather be poor and have two parents

or

be rich and have no parents

I'd take the first every time over 100k a year. Grandma cant teach her the same stuff mom and dad could have.

well

judging on who mom and dad were in this case

if I were her I'd take grandma and the money, especially since she'll never have one living memory of mom or dad

luv 12-04-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9181698)
I was wondering about that myself. I'd be a little nervous she might end up with someone who will just leech off of that money and not use it specifically for the girl.

Depends on if the guardian is the Trustee. If it's done through the NFL, I would definitely think they would put a trust company in charge. The guardian would have to get purchases approved.

Bugeater 12-04-2012 11:01 PM

Grandma will be the next one driving a Bentley.

mcaj22 12-04-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181709)
well

judging on who mom and dad were in this case

if I were her I'd take grandma and the money, especially since she'll never have one living memory of mom or dad

when she gets old enough there will be more than enough documentation to see how bad that was, and it could cause some sort of trauma say if they wait to tell her until shes 15, 16, 17, whatever the ****

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:01 PM

but I'm a cold son of a bitch

I love my mom and dad, they have both been great to me and have taught me many, many, many important lessons and I respect both of them greatly

but honestly how could you miss someone you never knew? How could you feel pain about someone you never knew? My parents got divorced when I was 4, have no memories of them being together, and I never once in my life was sad about them not being together because I never knew them together

so yeah...IMO this little girl, assuming she lands a rational guardian, sort of hit a baby jackpot

okcchief 12-04-2012 11:03 PM

That's great. Doesn't replace her parents but financially stability will certainly help.

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9181714)
when she gets old enough there will be more than enough documentation to see how bad that was, and it could cause some sort of trauma say if they wait to tell her until shes 15, 16, 17, whatever the ****

I'm sure some people handle things A LOT DIFFERENTLY than me...I have kind of a 'don't really give a shit' or a 'what I don't know, doesn't hurt me' or a 'meh' attitude.

If my dad off'd my mom (hypothetically) when I was an infant and I got, on average, $60K a year every year until I was out of college...

I think I'd be able to deal with it when Grandpa told me when I was 16.

Rasputin 12-04-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181716)

I love my mom and dad, they have both been great to me and have taught me many, many, many important lessons and I respect both of them greatly

but honestly how could you miss someone you never knew? How could you feel pain about someone you never knew? My parents got divorced when I was 4, have no memories of them being together, and I never once in my life was sad about them not being together because I never knew them together

so yeah...IMO this little girl, assuming she lands a rational guardian, sort of hit a baby jackpot

This is quite abit different as Belcher took the life of her mom. He stole a piece from Zoey that no $$ can justify.

okcchief 12-04-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181716)

Money isn't everything. Pretty sad.

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9181719)
That's great. Doesn't replace her parents but financially stability will certainly help.

Agreed.

But it doesn't appear like she was going to grow up in a very stable environment...and when you're dad is an alcoholic driving a Bentley with no assurance a 2nd contract is on the way...

I'm telling you.

AND I'M SORRY TO SOUND CONTROVERSIAL

this may have been the best thing (in a very sick way) to ever happen to this little girl

I just call them how I see them and I realize for nice, middle class, suburban families like the majority of us grew up in this just seems disgusting and sick...

but someday we'll realize that a vast majority of these NFL players like Belcher didn't grow up in two parent households going to nice public schools eating three meals a day and being raised with manners and responsibility

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9181726)
Money isn't everything. Pretty sad.

I agree it's not everything.

I'm looking at the big picture through my own glasses, making my own opinion. I respect anyone else's opinion as well.

I'm just saying:

After I weighed all of the current facts...

I think Zoey came out on top in this one. But I'll leave it at that.

Rausch 12-04-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9181719)

Am I the only one uncomfortable with the idea that "the NFL has this - we can leg go now?"

No, this isn't the NFL's issue - it's KC's.

This should be our responsibility because IT'S OUR RESPONSIBILITY.

Texas and Florida and NY shouldn't be paying for this because it's our loss. It's our family and our people.

Whatever comes from this it's ours.

And we should be taking care of ours...

WV 12-04-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181730)
Agreed.

But it doesn't appear like she was going to grow up in a very stable environment...and when you're dad is an alcoholic driving a Bentley with no assurance a 2nd contract is on the way...

I'm telling you.

AND I'M SORRY TO SOUND CONTROVERSIAL

this may have been the best thing (in a very sick way) to ever happen to this little girl

I just call them how I see them and I realize for nice, middle class, suburban families like the majority of us grew up in this just seems disgusting and sick...

but someday we'll realize that a vast majority of these NFL players like Belcher didn't grow up in two parent households going to nice public schools eating three meals a day and being raised with manners and responsibility

You do realize lots of people go through tough stages in life and can change correct? I mean I get what you're trying to say, but I think you're being a little harsh trying to make a point.

Shogun 12-04-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9181742)
Am I the only one uncomfortable with the idea that "the NFL has this - we can leg go now?"

Texas and Florida and NY shouldn't be paying for this because it's our loss. It's our family and our people.

We're all Americans.

Rasputin 12-04-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

I agree with this and I think the players would agree aswell. I think they want to be responsible for the child and help as much as they can. The NFL shouldn't take that away from the team & fans that care.

Hammock Parties 12-04-2012 11:15 PM

Anything to make them look good.

Rausch 12-04-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9181745)
We're all Americans.

Nice comment...

Hootie 12-04-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9181743)
You do realize lots of people go through tough stages in life and can change correct? I mean I get what you're trying to say, but I think you're being a little harsh trying to make a point.

I realize everyone can change. I'm just saying we have dozens, and dozens, and dozens of examples, and facts (80% of NFL players going broke 5 years out of the league; marginal player is driving a Bentley, come on!)

90% chance the girl would have ended up living with a single mother that was owed thousands and thousands of dollars of child support

Yes, fine. I'm being stereotypical, and it's a moot point. I agree. So this is my last post about it in this thread.

My only point was, based off of the stories we're hearing and off of history lessons...the infant daughter who will have no memories of this incident didn't come out a loser in the whole ordeal. Maybe not a winner, but definitely not a loser IMHO.

Tombstone RJ 12-04-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

ROFL

actually it's the NFL & NFLPA that's done the work homey but ok.

Rausch 12-04-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9181767)
ROFL

actually it's the NFL & NFLPA that's done the work homey but ok.

Yeah, I'm wrong...

DaneMcCloud 12-04-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

I think you've asked very important questions that will like escalate in their importance as the next CBA in 2020 approaches.

Tombstone RJ 12-04-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9181773)
Yeah, I'm wrong...

as a kc fan you are more than welcome to help the little lady out financially, right?

DaneMcCloud 12-04-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9181685)

Life insurance generally doesn't provide for suicide

Tombstone RJ 12-04-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9181783)

I think it depends on the policy and the fine print in the policy.

DaneMcCloud 12-04-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9181786)
I think it depends on the policy and the fine print in the policy.

Are you an insurance agent, underwriter or policy holder?

Phobia 12-04-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

State of Missouri law says life insurance pays if policy is more than 365 days old.

Phobia 12-04-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181765)
My only point was, based off of the stories we're hearing and off of history lessons...the infant daughter who will have no memories of this incident didn't come out a loser in the whole ordeal. Maybe not a winner, but definitely not a loser IMHO.

Kid lost her mother and her father. She lost, period. $10,000,000 or a lotto jackpot can't replace your real mom & dad. Ever. That's no disrespect to adoptive parents either.

Rausch 12-04-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9181782)
as a kc fan you are more than welcome to help the little lady out financially, right?

Yes.

Absolutely.

And I think that should be our goal. Not milking NFL money but setting something up here...

DaneMcCloud 12-04-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9181795)
State of Missouri law says life insurance pays if policy is more than 365 days old.

That is nice and I'd be curious how many other states have similar laws.

If that were law in California, I figure the population would be cut in half rather quickly.

Tombstone RJ 12-04-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9181789)

nope

Bugeater 12-04-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9181800)
Kid lost her mother and her father. She lost, period. $10,000,000 or a lotto jackpot can't replace your real mom & dad. Ever. That's no disrespect to adoptive parents either.

Disagree. I have personally met a great number of children who would be far better off with the money than the parents they have.

Phobia 12-04-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9181815)
Disagree. I have personally met a great number of children who would be far better off with the money than the parents they have.

Probably fair WRT Belcher. But the momma gets the benefit of the doubt.

Bugeater 12-04-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9181826)
Probably fair WRT Belcher. But the momma gets the benefit of the doubt.

I can't speak for what kind of parents they would've been. Just relaying what I've seen with my own eyes. There's a shitton of people out there that have no damn business reproducing.

Rausch 12-04-2012 11:48 PM

Related to Phobia post - Even in suicides?

I'm not aware of anything that pays off then...

Phobia 12-04-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9181801)
Yes.

Absolutely.

And I think that should be our goal. Not milking NFL money but setting something up here...

In 5 years we raised roughly what that little girl will get in one month for 37 Forever. We busted our humps doing it too.

As far as emotion goes, this is an easy decision to make for people around KC today. But let's talk about it in 3 months. How will you feel about taking a couple of bucks out of your paycheck to support a little girl whose take-home before she can even walk dwarfs your own.

Shogun 12-05-2012 12:01 AM

What determines the 18-23 rule?

Phobia 12-05-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 9181890)
What determines the 18-23 rule?

Enrollment in college - just like child support.

Shogun 12-05-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9181892)
Enrollment in college - just like child support.

Oh, Gotcha. Thanks

Dayze 12-05-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9181696)
Eh, she'll blow it all on collector Barbies and Build-A-Bears before she's 10.

either that, or she'll fall victim to Fun Dip, which unfortunately is a gateway to pixie sticks.

sad.

Phobia 12-05-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9181805)
That is nice and I'd be curious how many other states have similar laws.

If that were law in California, I figure the population would be cut in half rather quickly.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c300-399/3760000620.htm As of 2007

Rausch 12-05-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9181840)
In 5 years we raised roughly what that little girl will get in one month for 37 Forever. We busted our humps doing it too.

As far as emotion goes, this is an easy decision to make for people around KC today. But let's talk about it in 3 months. How will you feel about taking a couple of bucks out of your paycheck to support a little girl whose take-home before she can even walk dwarfs your own.

Am I ok with that?

Yes...

Phobia 12-05-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9181920)
Am I ok with that?

Yes...

I said, lets talk a few months. That doesn't make sense. You're emotional about it.

listopencil 12-05-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9181789)

I've had life insurance through my employer since the early 90's here in California. As I recall the policies always stated that they wouldn't be paid off for suicide, but there is now a two year rule in effect. If you've held the policy for more than two years it pays off. Less than two years the premiums are refunded. Still no payoff on accidental death coverage.

luv 12-05-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9181899)
either that, or she'll fall victim to Fun Dip, which unfortunately is a gateway to pixie sticks.

sad.

Okay, this made me laugh out loud.

Rausch 12-05-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9181924)
I said, lets talk a few months. That doesn't make sense. You're emotional about it.

I doubt that...

Phobia 12-05-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9181939)
I doubt that...

You're a better man than me, Brad. I'd probably kick $100 her way today but in 3 months I'm going to be thinking to myself, this little girl makes more than my entire household plus whatever her guardian(s) make plus what was left from her dad's estate plus whatever his football buddies put into trust for her. My family needs it more than she does. I'm a charitable guy but I'd rather put money into a food pantry or especially a domestic violence shelter considering the circumstances. They'll make the paltry amount of money I could afford to donate go a lot further than for just one little girl.

HMc 12-05-2012 01:29 AM

am i right in thinking that belcher purchased/leased a bentley before he bought a home? the news article I read mentioned the fact that the house was a rental...

clyde05 12-05-2012 02:09 AM

It's good the NFL takes care of people in these types situation.

okoye35chiefs 12-05-2012 06:08 AM

it sounds like some of you are jealous that a 3 month old will make more than you.

justin bieber's unborn kid has more money than us already

i am glad she is not going to have to worry about $ when she is at school and a 5 year old calls her a murderer's daughter. That little girl has a tough track ahead.

okoye35chiefs 12-05-2012 06:11 AM

The government's most recent annual report reveals a middle-income family with a child born in 2010 can expect to spend roughly $227,000 for food, shelter and other expenses necessary to raise that child - $287,000 when you factor in projected inflation.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-05-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

People win the genetic lottery all the time.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-05-2012 06:47 AM

Hootie's right. I mean, it sounds cold to those of us who have the ability to be emotional about it, but he's right.

I grew up being raised by my aunt and uncle. Never knew my Dad, and my Mom was in a severe car accident when I was a child and sustained major brain damage and was unable to raise me. I didn't get a dime, and I don't look back thinking "Boy, I'd give it all up to have my mommy again!" Life happens, and I was young enough to rebound from it, and I actually remember my mother. Zoey will never know who they are outside of pictures and reading the tragic tale.

Saul Good 12-05-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

That isn't accurate. All life insurance (or close enough as to render the exception negligible) covers suicide. Some plans have blackout periods that must be satisfied before suicide benefits may be paid. Generally speaking, these restrictions are on plans paid for by the individual. If they were paid for under an employer paid group plan, there would almost certainly be no such restriction.

Phobia 12-05-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9182039)
it sounds like some of you are jealous that a 3 month old will make more than you.

Jealous? No. More discerning with my charity dollar than giving it to a little girl who should have half a million in the bank by the time she's 5? Yeah.

ForeverChiefs58 12-05-2012 09:07 AM

Is this just new to the CBA then?

I know DT had a lot of kids. The man that died with him Michael Tellis had children. Tellis had a daughter in KC that is one of the hardest working women I've met, went to school while holding down 2, sometimes 3 jobs while not having a car and having to ride the bus. She could have definately used the help, so this must be new.

loochy 12-05-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9181738)
I agree it's not everything.

I'm looking at the big picture through my own glasses, making my own opinion. I respect anyone else's opinion as well.

I'm just saying:

After I weighed all of the current facts...

I think Zoey came out on top in this one.
But I'll leave it at that.

If she ends up with parents that actually love and care for her, then she came out on top. (psych damage + money + loving household)

If she ends up with parents that just dump her off with the grandparents while they go get trashed, then it's a wash. (psych damage + money + same crappy situation)