ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Doctor Who (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243362)

Judge Smails 12-28-2013 11:20 AM

Watch out Daleks...

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...ckcapaldi1.gif

whoman69 12-28-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10313237)
When I mentioned a can of worms, I wasn't referring to the possibility of a male companion, but rather to the possibility of a male doctor having a relationship with a male companion...

I don't think they'll have that type of relationship, though you could argue they already did to a point with Captain Jack. Before the Doctor/companion relationship became based in a sexual attraction and caused a jealousy reaction to male companions, there was a time when there were friendly relationships with male companions, Ian, Steven, Ben, Jamie, Harry, Adric, Turlough.

The show is supposed to about discovering adventure together, not love boat.

keg in kc 12-28-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10314323)
I don't think they'll have that type of relationship, though you could argue they already did to a point with Captain Jack. Before the Doctor/companion relationship became based in a sexual attraction and caused a jealousy reaction to male companions, there was a time when there were friendly relationships with male companions, Ian, Steven, Ben, Jamie, Harry, Adric, Turlough.

The show is supposed to about discovering adventure together, not love boat.

I think it would be more about keeping it appropriate (or perhaps better said as "not controversial") for the younger target demographic than whether or not it's the love boat (which it has been for most if not all of the new iteration).

Mojo Jojo 12-29-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10314589)
I think it would be more about keeping it appropriate (or perhaps better said as "not controversial") for the younger target demographic than whether or not it's the love boat (which it has been for most if not all of the new iteration).

We are talking the BBC so appropriate (not my favorite choice of words) is different. Let's face it one of the biggest comedies in the U.S. has a gay couple with an adopted child...so even here it is appropriate.

keg in kc 12-29-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 10315555)
We are talking the BBC so appropriate (not my favorite choice of words) is different. Let's face it one of the biggest comedies in the U.S. has a gay couple with an adopted child...so even here it is appropriate.

That would be why I re-phrased it as "not controversial". I don't think it's inappropriate in any way, shape or form in a social sense, but the question is whether opening that sort of can of worms is something you really need from a show like Dr. Who.

bevischief 12-29-2013 02:46 PM

The new male companion is Clara's teacher friend from the "name of the Doctor" I have already posted the link. Where it goes from there I have no idea.

whoman69 12-30-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10316226)
That would be why I re-phrased it as "not controversial". I don't think it's inappropriate in any way, shape or form in a social sense, but the question is whether opening that sort of can of worms is something you really need from a show like Dr. Who.

That's what I'm saying. Why can't they have a real friendship? Why are they just a jealousy plot device. He had a friendship with Craig Owens, although it was a bit stilted since he was actually having to act human.

keg in kc 05-23-2014 03:20 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QYN6ruU672Y?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ragged Robin 05-23-2014 07:00 PM

Doctor Who is the mother****ing best.

CoMoChief 05-23-2014 08:35 PM

my friend loves this show....tried to get me into.....i thought it was f'n terrible.

Third Eye 05-23-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10647763)
my friend loves this show....tried to get me into.....i thought it was f'n terrible.

That is a great story.

Ragged Robin 05-23-2014 10:40 PM

Looks like the TARDIS will be getting a revamp again. From the live shots he's still using the Matt Smith sonic though.. IMO I think he's due for his own sonic, especially if they're blowing up the TARDIS

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10647763)

It's not for everybody, especially for those who take themselves (and their entertainment) too seriously. It has its quirks.

listopencil 05-23-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10313951)
They really got away from the friendly male companion role. All of the recent males have been semi-adversarial including Mickey and Rory. We need another friendship like Jamie or mentor relationship like Adric. Heck even a Harry Sullivan would be a bonus. It was never a sexual relationship before. I don't think Sarah Jane even considered getting together with the Tom Baker Doctor. Even Peter Davison treated them like a little sister. The can of worms was opened in the Peter McGann movie.

They did patch it up a bit by getting rid of Rose and drawing the line with Martha. I think the writers ****ed it up a bit by having him act like a morose star-crossed ex lover, but it worked. And then they ushered in Donna who was almost asexual. I don't know. Maybe Tennant is just a natural flirt and they went with it. Matt Smith didn't seem to have as much of a problem with it, and I don't think Capaldi is a natural mate to Jenna Coleman, so we should be good to go with the non Love Boat story lines.

listopencil 05-23-2014 10:53 PM

They can avoid it by using a 40-ish Doctor and a 20-ish companion. The dynamic works better like that anyway.

Ragged Robin 05-26-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10648017)
They did patch it up a bit by getting rid of Rose and drawing the line with Martha. I think the writers ****ed it up a bit by having him act like a morose star-crossed ex lover, but it worked. And then they ushered in Donna who was almost asexual. I don't know. Maybe Tennant is just a natural flirt and they went with it. Matt Smith didn't seem to have as much of a problem with it, and I don't think Capaldi is a natural mate to Jenna Coleman, so we should be good to go with the non Love Boat story lines.

And yet they still had the River Song/Matt Smith ship going which IMO was ****ing terrible. I liked the tenth Doctor being a ladies man, sort of brought you back to the Jon Pertwee James Bond/hero-archetype role for the Doctor, especially with the Master being his main villian. Doctor Who told on an epic/heroic scale. That said, I like how Moffat reeled it in with Matt Smith, though I found his second season really bad with the River Song stuff.

The choice to go with an older Doctor was really the only logical direction they could have gone after Matt Smith. They took the younger/good looking/hyperactive trend that started with Tennant as far as it could go with Smith. The rumor is that the 12th Doctor will be less reliable (Colin Baker-ish?) and the style is more dark--I hope it's more absurd and creepy than dark and gritty/serious.