ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Has this economy continued to hurt your wallet, or are you doing just fine? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269415)

DaKCMan AP 01-28-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9358810)
being a recent college grad, it's tough out there. Making $13 an hour is ****ing bullshit when you have a degree and have student loans.

Hope the economy picks up. Sucks being poor after all that work.

What's your degree?

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:35 PM

2008 - new job; same pay. 6 months later, company tits up
6 months to find work.
found work at about 40-42% less pay.
foreclosed.
have moved 4 times in 6 years.

2008 was a bitch; 2008 - 2012 was horrible; roughest patch of our lives for my wife and I. Finally got back on track in August and life is good.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9359044)
A bit worse. No merit increases in two years. No bonus this year (even though me and my department reached our goals).

All-time high profits for the company though. Nice job!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TQXuazYI_YU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know the feeling.

notorious 01-28-2013 04:44 PM

My business has grown by a factor of x4 in the last 3 years.

I think that is a result of me busting my ass instead of economy.

RunKC 01-28-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358884)
I started out of college at $8 an hour. Stick with it, you'll be fine.

Wow that's crazy. You're in sales right?

Buehler445 01-28-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358829)
Surprise, no.

Discouraging, yes.

Everybody had to know it was coming, it was a temp thing at best. The REAL discouraging thing is that the employer portion was not reduced. Mind bogglingly stupid, but to me that's the worst part of the whole deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9358918)
Thanks buddy. Well it is math related which I am really, really good at. Anything I'm good at I like. And it pays well I believe. Ever heard of an actuary?

Man if you could land an actuarial job, that'd be super sweet, but I wouldn't count on becoming one without a pissload more school.

What is the requisite schooling for actuarial work. It is pretty much a doctoral accounting thing?

HotCarl 01-28-2013 05:02 PM

The only way you can say it hasn't is if you never buy anything.

007 01-28-2013 05:06 PM

We are doing OK but some months are harder than others. So far we haven't had to change up our IRA and 529 deposits but we have taken 3 of our kids out of private school because of the economy.

1ChiefsDan 01-28-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358617)
Luckily I make enough money at this point that subtle changes don't hurt as bad.

Can't say I was real happy to see the extra amount they're taking out of my check as of January 1 though.

I hadn't noticed since I haven't received a paycheck since May.

At least the job market for my chosen profession seems to be opening up a little. Had several interviews last week. Have 2nd/3rd interviews with a couple of those and some new interviews this week.

Keeping my fingers crossed, otherwise going to have to sell the house in a couple of months.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9359102)
Wow that's crazy. You're in sales right?

I am now, kind of.

I started out in support and then moved to operations/engineering. I then moved from operations to pre-sales engineering.

Ceej 01-28-2013 05:16 PM

Can't complain.

Taking that promotion with the company within the past year has been great. However, Topeka is not ideal for a hardwood flooring store, imo. Our business is primarily out of Lawrence or Manhattan.

My girlfriend should be moving in the first weekend of March. Hopefully she can find a job relatively quick to help out with the minute things.

KCRED 01-28-2013 05:19 PM

This year,I'm a bit lighter in the back pocket, but, hell,I ride a Harley. That's an on goin state.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-28-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9359138)
Can't complain.

Taking that promotion with the company within the past year has been great. However, Topeka is not ideal for a hardwood flooring store, imo. Our business is primarily out of Lawrence or Manhattan.

My girlfriend should be moving in the first weekend of March. Hopefully she can find a job relatively quick to help out with the minute things.

your location sucks....Topekans hate that building because of Kansas Furniture Mart.

lewdog 01-28-2013 05:43 PM

I make more money than many new college graduates (I think so at least!?) so I am not complaining, but we found out this week that there will be no pay raises this year and no one is getting a retention bonus.

I am worried that the no pay raises could result in cutting pay sometime this year as well and this is just a lead-in for that.

The girlfriend and I are trying to save up for a house. We have no debt what-so-ever besides my student loan payment, which is somewhat comforting. As long as my pay isn't cut, we can do alright but it isn't comforting just starting a career with this economy.

Ceej 01-28-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9359217)
your location sucks....Topekans hate that building because of Kansas Furniture Mart.

I hate the fact we are kind of tucked away.

But, it is nice being near the busiest intersection in Topeka.

The building we are attached to is going to become an HVAC school. I've not a damn clue how parking is going to work when that's all said and done.