ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Has this economy continued to hurt your wallet, or are you doing just fine? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269415)

El Jefe 01-28-2013 01:35 PM

Has this economy continued to hurt your wallet, or are you doing just fine?

I was thinking about this as I came to work today and was greeted with not a lot of work for a monday. We do work for a lot of different people/businesses and we have seen slow downs in every industry. We usually stay busy year round, but there are times where it's feast or famine that's for sure.

Personally speaking my money is held pretty firmly, we are currently paying off as much debt as possible before we get a house. This economy definitely has impacted me though. I used to reach my bonus almost every week, but now I rarely reach my bonus which sucks, but being employed is enough to keep me content. I know some of you guys in here are in pretty solid industries, but those who are not, does the economy continue to hurt you financially?

El Jefe 01-28-2013 01:35 PM

Even take into account, health care that you may have to pay yourself, and or benefits in general.

allen_kcCard 01-28-2013 01:43 PM

We have been pretty good in the wallet, but now we suddenly really could use a new house (need an extra room in about 6 more months incubation time). The economy/housing market is likely going to come into play trying to sell the current house.

Fat Elvis 01-28-2013 01:44 PM

I work in the non-profit social services sector. It always hurts.

tooge 01-28-2013 01:47 PM

I've been busier than hell (knocks on patients head).

Bump 01-28-2013 01:48 PM

as the prices of everything keep going up, my pay remains the same.

KC native 01-28-2013 01:50 PM

Over/under on being moved to dc

50 posts

And why can this dickwad still start threads?

Predarat 01-28-2013 01:51 PM

Yes it is, plus the damn tax increase is really kicking my ass. Prices go up, paycheck goes down. What fun.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 01:52 PM

Luckily I make enough money at this point that subtle changes don't hurt as bad.

Can't say I was real happy to see the extra amount they're taking out of my check as of January 1 though.

Nightfyre 01-28-2013 01:56 PM

Moving into a new place with the Fiancee is definitely more expensive, especially when there are zero jobs in the local area for her. I have also felt the food price creep eating into my savings capability.

A Salt Weapon 01-28-2013 01:59 PM

Income wise we are doing better than ever, I am fortunate to be in an industry that is fairly recession proof, my wife's income has been hit, but hers is mostly for discretionary spending. However prices everywhere have gone up so our purchasing power is decreasing. We don't live paycheck to paycheck, but savings is not getting built like it should be, and home ownership is looking slim.
This is without any gov't assistance.
Posted via Mobile Device

El Jefe 01-28-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358617)
Luckily I make enough money at this point that subtle changes don't hurt as bad.

Can't say I was real happy to see the extra amount they're taking out of my check as of January 1 though.

Yeah I hear that!

El Jefe 01-28-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9358609)

50 posts

Who are you?

Jimmya 01-28-2013 02:16 PM

I own a liquor store and times are pretty tough for most regular people during this "great recession". Crossing my fingers for superbowl week!

DaKCMan AP 01-28-2013 02:17 PM

2% less pay due to FICA + company not doing any merit increases this year (despite the stock being at an all-time high) = major suckage

Thankfully, DaKCMan AP is still an Awesome baller. :D

seclark 01-28-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 9358680)
I own a liquor store and times are pretty tough for most regular people during this "great recession". Crossing my fingers for superbowl week!

check your friend requests.
sec

FD 01-28-2013 02:20 PM

Things are going better than ever, to be honest.

GloryDayz 01-28-2013 02:26 PM

I'm married! So nothing from nothing is still nothing. Meh!

Buehler445 01-28-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

You had to know that was coming though, right? I mean its not like that was a surprise.

Me, I'm doing pretty well, but it hasn't kept up with the capital outlay or the ****ing stress I'm under. That has increased much more than my net income.

My wife's job (catholic school) dumped their insurance so that's a hefty sum every month. Taxes are an ever looming problem of which I shouldn't be too bad but I'm epic boned next year.

And really most of my business improvement is contingent on a couple decisions I made with some prompting from my dad. I made some decent decisions outside of that, but most of the bump is from his prompting. If I'd have stayed the same as last year I'd be crying like a bitch.

But like most business owners, I see the missed opportunities and the things I could have done better.

Strongside 01-28-2013 02:29 PM

Was down and out this time a year ago...even until September. Better than ever now.

HemiEd 01-28-2013 02:37 PM

Getting by, but it has been increasingly tough since Motorola went to China in 2000.

Traveling expenses between and cost of maintaining two houses is more than I figured.

Fortunately we have Yorkies, so they don't eat that much.

loochy 01-28-2013 02:38 PM

Life is great now, no complaints here.

loochy 01-28-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

50 posts

Wow.

What crawled into your panties? There's nothing wrong with El Jefe.

Marco Polo 01-28-2013 02:41 PM

Every aspect on my economic life is better. Even my 401k ROI is 16% in the last 12 months.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

50 posts

He is a good person, doesn't start shit with no one. Nothing wrong with his threads. No reason to be a dick and call him names.

HemiEd 01-28-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9358740)
Wow.

What crawled into your panties? There's nothing wrong with El Jefe.

Yeah, he is good people if I have kept up with who he is. I think it was 4 usernames ago, when he came aboard, right? somethinggolj?

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9358749)
Yeah, he is good people if I have kept up with who he is. I think it was 4 usernames ago, when he came aboard, right? somethinggolj?

That's who I thought it was. I was pretty good friends with that guy. He told me some things about his life, and I tried to give him some advice here and there when he asked. I PM'd this guy because I'm almost positive it's the same dude, but he didn't ever respond, and I haven't bothered digging it up. I don't agree with all of his takes on politics and what not, but he's a good guy. I'm down with El Jefe.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 02:47 PM

I hate going groc. shopping. Cannot buy enough on 150 bucks to make it last, does not fill up the grocery cart like it use too.

I'd like to do what they do on extreme shopping with coupons. How do they do it? They can buy 300 to 400 dollars worth of stuff and spend $13.00 for it all some times even getting a refund :eek:

Setsuna 01-28-2013 02:48 PM

My only source of income this year is financial aid reimbursement and tax return. I is sad.

HolyHat 01-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9358761)
I hate going groc. shopping. Cannot buy enough on 150 bucks to make it last, does not fill up the grocery cart like it use too.

I'd like to do what they do on extreme shopping with coupons. How do they do it? They can buy 300 to 400 dollars worth of stuff and spend $13.00 for it all some times even getting a refund :eek:

I dont read anything you say, I just stare at your boobs

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

It is a TON of work, but almost anyone can do it. A lot of times they have to spend more than that to get their hands on all of those coupons. It's more than a full time job. I'm cheap enough I looked into it. Wasn't worth all my time though.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9358764)
My only source of income this year is financial aid reimbursement and tax return. I is sad.

At least it's tax time. How long until you're done with school?

Easy 6 01-28-2013 02:49 PM

Its put a pretty good hurt on the big ticket retail world here, three of the five biggest employers in this town have closed or moved in the last two years (two manufacturing, one mental health care).

If we werent partially shielded by the local ag economy, this town wouldnt even exist anymore.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9358769)
Its put a pretty good hurt on the big ticket retail world here, three of the five biggest employers in this town have closed or moved in the last two years (two manufacturing, one mental health care).

If we werent partially shielded by the local ag economy, this town wouldnt even exist anymore.

Damn. That's a shame. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Setsuna 01-28-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9358767)
At least it's tax time. How long until you're done with school?

Maybe another year and a half. I tutor on the side as well. But I can't get enough constituents at the price I want for it to be anything worth more than gas money.

RunKC 01-28-2013 03:05 PM

being a recent college grad, it's tough out there. Making $13 an hour is ****ing bullshit when you have a degree and have student loans.

Hope the economy picks up. Sucks being poor after all that work.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9358712)
You had to know that was coming though, right? I mean its not like that was a surprise.

Me, I'm doing pretty well, but it hasn't kept up with the capital outlay or the ****ing stress I'm under. That has increased much more than my net income.

My wife's job (catholic school) dumped their insurance so that's a hefty sum every month. Taxes are an ever looming problem of which I shouldn't be too bad but I'm epic boned next year.

And really most of my business improvement is contingent on a couple decisions I made with some prompting from my dad. I made some decent decisions outside of that, but most of the bump is from his prompting. If I'd have stayed the same as last year I'd be crying like a bitch.

But like most business owners, I see the missed opportunities and the things I could have done better.

Surprise, no.

Discouraging, yes.

Braincase 01-28-2013 03:14 PM

Best I've done since 1999.

loochy 01-28-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

I've noticed a LOT that people at the grocery store will by not very much at all and it will come to $100. When I was a sacker back in high school $100 would fill up the whole cart.

I buy as much as I can in bulk at costco (if its not something that will spoil).

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9358788)
Maybe another year and a half. I tutor on the side as well. But I can't get enough constituents at the price I want for it to be anything worth more than gas money.

Good luck brutha. You working toward something that you're passionate about, something that will pay you, or both?

htismaqe 01-28-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9358810)
being a recent college grad, it's tough out there. Making $13 an hour is ****ing bullshit when you have a degree and have student loans.

I started out of college at $8 an hour. Stick with it, you'll be fine.

Easy 6 01-28-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9358779)
Damn. That's a shame. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Many thanks, you Sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9358837)
I've noticed a LOT that people at the grocery store will by not very much at all and it will come to $100. When I was a sacker back in high school $100 would fill up the whole cart.

I buy as much as I can in bulk at costco (if its not something that will spoil).

This is the part that is killing me the most. I'm lucky to pay my bills, but when it comes too buying groceries I hate getting to the point having to put things back because I can't afford it. Your right you just don't get very much for $100 bucks anymore. The gas bill and electric bill are bad enough damn.

I learned that an economy heater that you plug in makes the electric bill go sky rocket OUCH. Lesson learned not to use plug in heaters to help with lowering the gas bill. Does not work out in a good way.

Setsuna 01-28-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9358850)
Good luck brutha. You working toward something that you're passionate about, something that will pay you, or both?

Thanks buddy. Well it is math related which I am really, really good at. Anything I'm good at I like. And it pays well I believe. Ever heard of an actuary?

ndws 01-28-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 9358588)
We have been pretty good in the wallet, but now we suddenly really could use a new house (need an extra room in about 6 more months incubation time). The economy/housing market is likely going to come into play trying to sell the current house.

Same here. We have one coming in June. Trying to get the bathroom remodeled and everything situated and ready before then. Ours was a slow remodel of the home that suddenly got expedited starting in October (apparently beer for me and vodka for her = high motility and egg migration).

I'm in IT, my paycheck is ok, nothing great but it pays the bills. She teaches, so again, its ok but we aren't going to retire by 40, thats for sure.

Once we get past the remodel bills, the hatchling bills, and square up on some of our previous debt, we'll dig ourselves back in with a new car purchase. The interest goblins keep coming back, over and over and over again.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9358918)
Thanks buddy. Well it is math related which I am really, really good at. Anything I'm good at I like. And it pays well I believe. Ever heard of an actuary?

Heard the term, but never fully understood it. Just looked it up and that's a pretty good job. Average salary is right around six figures, but I don't get the impression you're average. Shit you're black, that makes you huge right out of the gate! That's a good job, man. Sounds like fun too, if you're a numbers nerd like us.

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:07 PM

yeah; groceries have been the biggest impact to our budget from what I can tell.

we're eating a lot more salads; or sammiches and soup...something cheap and smiple. we'll ahve a nice dinner on the weekends, but for the most part we eat cheap.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9358986)
Same here. We have one coming in June. Trying to get the bathroom remodeled and everything situated and ready before then. Ours was a slow remodel of the home that suddenly got expedited starting in October (apparently beer for me and vodka for her = high motility and egg migration).

I'm in IT, my paycheck is ok, nothing great but it pays the bills. She teaches, so again, its ok but we aren't going to retire by 40, thats for sure.

Once we get past the remodel bills, the hatchling bills, and square up on some of our previous debt, we'll dig ourselves back in with a new car purchase. The interest goblins keep coming back, over and over and over again.

Nothing like paying interest on a rolling depreciating asset! I drive a Lincoln. It's 15 years old, but still a nice ride. I take my chances with mechanic bills, and so far I've won a lot more than I've lost. Different strokes for different folks, so don't take this post as any kind of judgment. I'd just rather spend the extra money on hookers and blow! :D

|Zach| 01-28-2013 04:09 PM

It goes up and down and really depends on if an organization sees high quality photography as a luxury or not which obviously depends on their line of work and the way they go about their business. Have one huge client and a lot of medium sized work that gets me through just fine but would love to have one more big fish to work with throughout the year. Working on it.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9358998)
yeah; groceries have been the biggest impact to our budget from what I can tell.

we're eating a lot more salads; or sammiches and soup...something cheap and smiple. we'll ahve a nice dinner on the weekends, but for the most part we eat cheap.

I really need to cut my food budget. I've gotten huge all over again, and spend too much money eating conveniently, and deliciously. I could easily shave $300 a month for my wife, brother in law, and myself by following this model. Groceries are out of ****ing control.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-28-2013 04:15 PM

my income is up 28% over where it was just about 18 months ago due to some unexpected things that occurred with my employer.

The downside is I am now overpaid for most if not all of my competitors, so should I ever need to find a new job, I would likely take a bath.

ndws 01-28-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9359001)
Nothing like paying interest on a rolling depreciating asset! I drive a Lincoln. It's 15 years old, but still a nice ride. I take my chances with mechanic bills, and so far I've won a lot more than I've lost. Different strokes for different folks, so don't take this post as any kind of judgment. I'd just rather spend the extra money on hookers and blow! :D

No judgement taken. I still have, and will always have my 5cyl diesel S-class (its 31 now). It just goes and is the lowest maintenance vehicle I've ever had, but I'm usually in my company vehicle anyway. She just has a mom van with a jillion miles on it, so once we get past a few things, we'll be looking for a nice little Outback for her to tool around him. Maybe by then we'll have snow again to justify the awd. Its just a little car she and I both like.

My days of hooker and blow ended with that big ol' shiney I put on her finger. lol.

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9359015)
my income is up 28% over where it was just about 18 months ago due to some unexpected things that occurred with my employer.

The downside is I am now overpaid for most if not all of my competitors, so should I ever need to find a new job, I would likely take a bath.

the company I worked for (startup) went tits up 6 months after I was hired. took a 42% pay cut 6 months later.

.....not awesome.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-28-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9359018)
No judgement taken. I still have, and will always have my 5cyl diesel S-class (its 31 now). It just goes and is the lowest maintenance vehicle I've ever had, but I'm usually in my company vehicle anyway. She just has a mom van with a jillion miles on it, so once we get past a few things, we'll be looking for a nice little Outback for her to tool around him. Maybe by then we'll have snow again to justify the awd. Its just a little car she and I both like.

My days of hooker and blow ended with that big ol' shiney I put on her finger. lol.

:thumb: I'm married too, she said it was cool since we don't have kids.

ndws 01-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9359025)
:thumb: I'm married too, she said it was cool since we don't have kids.

You should write a how-to book.

I'll buy a copy.

Mike in SW-MO 01-28-2013 04:22 PM

Both.

Pay is down ~25%. Only debt is mortgage which is still less than 20% of household income. We adjust budget as needed. Mostly adjusting discretionary spending now. Stacations instead of vacations and eating out less. Looking at cutting back on kids college funds or rate of payment on mortgage if needed.

So pay took a hit but still doing fine.

T-Town 01-28-2013 04:22 PM

Just graduated from college in December, but can't find a job. Every opening wants a ton of work experience that I obviously can't provide. Hopefully things pick up when the weather turns.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-28-2013 04:25 PM

Doing just fine.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Town (Post 9359030)
Just graduated from college in December, but can't find a job. Every opening wants a ton of work experience that I obviously can't provide. Hopefully things pick up when the weather turns.

Good luck. Don't get too flustrated with it. You have a degree and am sure that will help you out, that shows for something.

AndChiefs 01-28-2013 04:29 PM

A bit worse. No merit increases in two years. No bonus this year (even though me and my department reached our goals).

All-time high profits for the company though. Nice job!

DaKCMan AP 01-28-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9358810)

What's your degree?

Dayze 01-28-2013 04:35 PM

2008 - new job; same pay. 6 months later, company tits up
6 months to find work.
found work at about 40-42% less pay.
foreclosed.
have moved 4 times in 6 years.

2008 was a bitch; 2008 - 2012 was horrible; roughest patch of our lives for my wife and I. Finally got back on track in August and life is good.

Rasputin 01-28-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9359044)
A bit worse. No merit increases in two years. No bonus this year (even though me and my department reached our goals).

All-time high profits for the company though. Nice job!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TQXuazYI_YU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know the feeling.

notorious 01-28-2013 04:44 PM

My business has grown by a factor of x4 in the last 3 years.

I think that is a result of me busting my ass instead of economy.

RunKC 01-28-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358884)
I started out of college at $8 an hour. Stick with it, you'll be fine.

Wow that's crazy. You're in sales right?

Buehler445 01-28-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9358829)
Surprise, no.

Discouraging, yes.

Everybody had to know it was coming, it was a temp thing at best. The REAL discouraging thing is that the employer portion was not reduced. Mind bogglingly stupid, but to me that's the worst part of the whole deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9358918)

Man if you could land an actuarial job, that'd be super sweet, but I wouldn't count on becoming one without a pissload more school.

What is the requisite schooling for actuarial work. It is pretty much a doctoral accounting thing?

HotCarl 01-28-2013 05:02 PM

The only way you can say it hasn't is if you never buy anything.

007 01-28-2013 05:06 PM

We are doing OK but some months are harder than others. So far we haven't had to change up our IRA and 529 deposits but we have taken 3 of our kids out of private school because of the economy.

1ChiefsDan 01-28-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

I hadn't noticed since I haven't received a paycheck since May.

At least the job market for my chosen profession seems to be opening up a little. Had several interviews last week. Have 2nd/3rd interviews with a couple of those and some new interviews this week.

Keeping my fingers crossed, otherwise going to have to sell the house in a couple of months.

htismaqe 01-28-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9359102)
Wow that's crazy. You're in sales right?

I am now, kind of.

I started out in support and then moved to operations/engineering. I then moved from operations to pre-sales engineering.

Ceej 01-28-2013 05:16 PM

Can't complain.

Taking that promotion with the company within the past year has been great. However, Topeka is not ideal for a hardwood flooring store, imo. Our business is primarily out of Lawrence or Manhattan.

My girlfriend should be moving in the first weekend of March. Hopefully she can find a job relatively quick to help out with the minute things.

KCRED 01-28-2013 05:19 PM

This year,I'm a bit lighter in the back pocket, but, hell,I ride a Harley. That's an on goin state.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-28-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9359138)
Can't complain.

Taking that promotion with the company within the past year has been great. However, Topeka is not ideal for a hardwood flooring store, imo. Our business is primarily out of Lawrence or Manhattan.

My girlfriend should be moving in the first weekend of March. Hopefully she can find a job relatively quick to help out with the minute things.

your location sucks....Topekans hate that building because of Kansas Furniture Mart.

lewdog 01-28-2013 05:43 PM

I make more money than many new college graduates (I think so at least!?) so I am not complaining, but we found out this week that there will be no pay raises this year and no one is getting a retention bonus.

I am worried that the no pay raises could result in cutting pay sometime this year as well and this is just a lead-in for that.

The girlfriend and I are trying to save up for a house. We have no debt what-so-ever besides my student loan payment, which is somewhat comforting. As long as my pay isn't cut, we can do alright but it isn't comforting just starting a career with this economy.

Ceej 01-28-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9359217)
your location sucks....Topekans hate that building because of Kansas Furniture Mart.

I hate the fact we are kind of tucked away.

But, it is nice being near the busiest intersection in Topeka.

The building we are attached to is going to become an HVAC school. I've not a damn clue how parking is going to work when that's all said and done.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-28-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9359234)
I hate the fact we are kind of tucked away.

But, it is nice being near the busiest intersection in Topeka.

The building we are attached to is going to become an HVAC school. I've not a damn clue how parking is going to work when that's all said and done.

huh....private or for the union?

Ceej 01-28-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9359242)
huh....private or for the union?

Private, I do believe.

LL owns the building we are in and the parking from our front doors on. The students who attend the HVAC school will have like 2-4 spots of parking. LMAO And the back of Target, assuming Target lets them park there.

SAUTO 01-28-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

50 posts

Why couldn't he?
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-28-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9359001)

Then bills could be cheaper. You know how lol
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 01-28-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9358986)

we had the same problem last year.

50k and about 1100sq ft with two bathrooms and nine. months later and I'm done
Posted via Mobile Device