ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   No Wonder the Chiefs are Terrible (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181551)

keg in kc 03-13-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 4629223)
I dont think he said they were the missing pieces, but we have already tanked 2008. I know we werent going to compete. I been saying 5-11 at best, but they dont even seem to be trying. Like i posted over at the coalition, Croyle better eat steak after steak with a few burgers in between. His toothpick ass may be snapped in half next year.

It's a bad free agent market and they're not overpaying early for players who'd make little or no difference. No, it's not very exciting, but it seems smarter to me than throwing caution to the wind and spending big bucks as soon as the bell rang on the market for the 2008 models of Kendrell Bell and Shawn Barber and Dexter McCleon and any of a long line of other bad moves by KC in the last decade plus. Signing mediocre players to bad deals does absolutely nothing positive for the franchise over the long term, and it probably wouldn't do much for 2008 either.

Even so, I wouldn't write 2008 off just yet. They probably won't compete for a playoff spot, but stranger things have happened, and I don't think enough of a recovery to put them back in the area of .500 is out of the question at all. It's a matter of whether they can find a way to sign a few of the right guys at the right price, and whether they can can hit in the first few rounds of the draft. It's not as sexy as tossing empty money at mid-level guys who don't deserve it, but it's the way you dig a franchise out of a hole.

el borracho 03-13-2008 01:36 PM

I know it has been posted over and over but I'll say it again: Carl is neither good at the draft nor bad at the draft; he is very average. Carl's downfall the last decade or so has been his head coaching choices and the price he paid to get those coaches. A 2nd and 3rd to get Vermeil (and a 1st for Trent because we just didn't want to wait one more year for Trent to become a free-agent!). And (even more unbelievably!) a 4th for Herm, a 52-60 head coach who was likely to be fired in NY.

Carl needs a strong head coach to provide direction for the team. Schottenheimer provided that direction but in Carl's tenure without Marty he is 73-71. Herm is 52-60. Any guesses what their respective records will be after next year?

There is a scene in the movie City Slickers where an aging Billy Crystal looks in the mirror and realizes "this is the best I'm ever going to look." At some point Clark Hunt will have to reach the same epiphany regarding Carl and Herm- their careers have peaked and are now slipping further and further from success or even hope. This franchise will go nowhere until we replace Carl and Herm.

keg in kc 03-13-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 4629274)
I know it has been posted over and over but I'll say it again: Carl is neither good at the draft nor bad at the draft; he is very average.

I'd call that generous. Chiefs drafts have been consistently pretty bad since about 1994. 2006 and 2007 look like they could be better, but it's too early to tell.
Quote:

Carl's downfall the last decade or so has been his head coaching choices and the price he paid to get those coaches. A 2nd and 3rd to get Vermeil (and a 1st for Trent because we just didn't want to wait one more year for Trent to become a free-agent!). And (even more unbelievably!) a 4th for Herm, a 52-60 head coach who was likely to be fired in NY. .
No doubt about that. The team's drafted poorly and thrown picks away. That's how you end up looking like the team they've been since 1998. It didn't help that Vermeil placed such an emphasis on veteran acquisitions over wise drafting; it exacerbated problems we already had.

In any case, Peterson should never have been reupped. But he was, and we're stuck with him. Not much to do as a fan but hope for the best without letting your expectations get too high.

el borracho 03-13-2008 01:49 PM

Well, it's somewhat subjective of course, but I'd say Carl is average. His draft record would almost certainly appear better if he hadn't given away so many picks for coaches. In any case, I'm not interested in average and I will remain very apathetic about this team until Carl and Herm are replaced.

keg in kc 03-13-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 4629307)
Well, it's somewhat subjective of course, but I'd say Carl is average. His draft record would almost certainly appear better if he hadn't given away so many picks for coaches. In any case, I'm not interested in average and I will remain very apathetic about this team until Carl and Herm are replaced.

I think he should have given over football operations years ago. He's successful as team president, but I believe he's a failure as a GM. I say "failure" because, ultimately, it's a results-based business, and, while the early 90's can at least be argued to have been successful, the team's gone nowhere in a full decade. And in my mind, there's no justification at all for a GM holding a job with a team that hasn't won a playoff game in almost 15 years.

We can debate picks and coaches and whatever else, but, in the end, wins and losses really tell the tale...

ChiefsCountry 03-13-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfkrush (Post 4629238)
LMAO, you don't want Bernard Berrian. He couldn't catch AIDS at a gay bar.

AIDS jokes, that is so retro. :)

BIG K 03-13-2008 10:17 PM

Not going to argue CP's lack of drafting talent.

However, I seem to remember Hermie saying they would not be active in free agency right away. Does no one remember that too? I interpreted that statement that they would build with the draft, (or vainly attempt to) and then sign players after the June cuts to fill some other holes.

I may have interpreted that wrong but, it would be a logical choice. Not going to give them credit for that philosophy though. It is more of a "Wow, we been throwing money at other teams re-treads for years and it never worked. Let's try something different"

:shake:

BIG K 03-13-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4629328)
AIDS jokes, that is so retro. :)

I used to hear it as, "He couldn't catch aids in an Ethiopian whorehouse"

Extra Point 03-13-2008 10:27 PM

Whoever wrote that, I hope he got paid for it. Vegas Dave?

Rausch 03-13-2008 10:37 PM

The Chiefs line worries (both on O and D) are obvious. To then further your argument by saying we should spend more money on an injury prone player (McNab) is reeruned.

I'll agree the Chiefs should have targeted Faneca but after seeing his payday I also agree he isn't worth the final bid. He's flat out not the best offensive lineman ever.

Why should he payed like he is?

Remember this: both the 1st round of the draft and free agency are very thin on studs this year. The team that shocks and climbs this year will find steals on day 2. They'll do their homework.

This year is a year of inflation in the NFL...

Otter 03-13-2008 10:42 PM

Even the Peterson apologist have little to hang their hat on. The guy is a tard and the fact he's still in power at 1 Arrowhead Drive is a testament to the overall incompetence and results of hiring by inbreeding.

The team is a joke.

KCChiefsMan 03-13-2008 10:47 PM

he should say when Carl decides to hit the FA market, he usually misses big. Kendrell Bell, Johnie Morton, Nap Harris, Ty Law, McIntosh, and the rest. It's past time for CP to go damnit

Reerun_KC 03-14-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

I know it has been posted over and over but I'll say it again: Carl is neither good at the draft nor bad at the draft; he is very average. Carl's downfall the last decade or so has been his head coaching choices and the price he paid to get those coaches. A 2nd and 3rd to get Vermeil (and a 1st for Trent because we just didn't want to wait one more year for Trent to become a free-agent!). And (even more unbelievably!) a 4th for Herm, a 52-60 head coach who was likely to be fired in NY.

Carl needs a strong head coach to provide direction for the team. Schottenheimer provided that direction but in Carl's tenure without Marty he is 73-71. Herm is 52-60. Any guesses what their respective records will be after next year?

There is a scene in the movie City Slickers where an aging Billy Crystal looks in the mirror and realizes "this is the best I'm ever going to look." At some point Clark Hunt will have to reach the same epiphany regarding Carl and Herm- their careers have peaked and are now slipping further and further from success or even hope. This franchise will go nowhere until we replace Carl and Herm.

That brought a tear to my eye! :clap: Quote this badboy for Mother F'n Truth! :clap:

King_Chief_Fan 03-14-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Carl was 69-59 without Marty before Herm. He is now 73-71. A huge swing the wrong way. Herm+Carl = 13-19. One more year together and Carl will be under .500 since Marty. Reason enough to send this clown packing.

Dartgod 03-14-2008 07:22 AM

This guy has a future writing for WPI.