ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Ronda Rousey vs. Floyd Mayweather who would win? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295963)

BigRedChief 11-09-2015 11:44 PM

Ronda Rousey vs. Floyd Mayweather who would win?

Almost everyone agrees that if boxing rules were used Mayweather would win. No contest.

So here is the rules for our hypothetical fight:

Either no rules or UFC rules.

I think Rousey gets him into an armbar in the 1st round and its over.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1f4908f3b6.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...mtF_QxJEI973Mahttp://cdn.mse.psddev.com/dims4/SPOR...oday-issue.jpg
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0530..._canelo_07.jpg

TribalElder 11-09-2015 11:45 PM

Ronda

Floyd can only run for so long before getting armbarred

88TG88 11-09-2015 11:46 PM

He'd beat the shit out of her, and it wouldnt be close

BigRedChief 11-09-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88TG88 (Post 11873525)
He'd beat the shit out of her, and it wouldnt be close

So you really think he could keep her off him and avoid a takedown to apply the armbar?

Gravedigger 11-10-2015 12:05 AM

I'll tell you who would win, Domestic Violence!

Psyko Tek 11-10-2015 12:09 AM

love to see her **** him up

BigRedChief 11-10-2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 11873534)
I'll tell you who would win, Domestic Violence!

Rousey responding to an ESPN reporter question on fighting Mayweather after her winning the best fighter award..................
"I wonder how Floyd feels being beat by a woman for once. I'd like to see him pretend to not know who I am now."

LiveSteam 11-10-2015 12:30 AM

One clean head shot and Ronda wouldn't get up. She's great,maybe the best ever at her game. But she is still a female and has no ****ing business in the ring with a male fighter of Floyd's caliber.

Baby Lee 11-10-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 11873547)
One clean head shot and Ronda wouldn't get up. She's great,maybe the best ever at her game. But she is still a female and has no ****ing business in the ring with a male fighter of Floyd's caliber.

Floyd can't punch out a light switch.

LiveSteam 11-10-2015 12:42 AM

Its never gonna happen because its never gonna get sanctioned.

tmw4h5 11-10-2015 12:46 AM

We already know that Floyd is really good at beating up women.

Floyd - 273
Women - 0

Why Not? 11-10-2015 12:53 AM

I like Ronda. She's about the only fighter I would pay to see anymore. She's great for women and for sports in general. I ****ing hate Mayweather. He's style is boring and he seems like a grade a douche. So it pains me to say..........

He would ****ing destroy her. It would set back women's sports a decade at least. Jennie Finch has a better chance of going upper deck on Wade Davis.

007 11-10-2015 12:59 AM

I can't believe this is a serious question.

Silock 11-10-2015 01:00 AM

Rousey has taken down male UFC fighters in sparring sessions before. She could take down Mayweather easily if they didn't have to abide by boxing rules.

Brock 11-10-2015 01:04 AM

Ronda needs to take on that raunchy chick before thinking about fighting men.

chiefzilla1501 11-10-2015 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 11873566)
Rousey has taken down male UFC fighters in sparring sessions before. She could take down Mayweather easily if they didn't have to abide by boxing rules.

This. I wouldn't so quickly dismiss her having a shot under UFC rules. She is superb at judo.

jonzie04 11-10-2015 01:16 AM

Mayweather is probably the fastest, and smartest 150lb fighter on the planet...I very seriously doubt that Ronda could get close enough to get him to the ground. If she had an elite double or single leg and knew how to time it GSP style then maybe, but with Mayweathers speed, timing, and footwork. I don't think she can take him down, and he knocks her out. Lots of non wrestling fighters can easily avoid takedowns from all american wrestlers VIA footwork and timing and setting the range. I don't think she could come even close to taking Mayweather down inside an octagon.

LoneWolf 11-10-2015 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 11873571)
Lots of non wrestling fighters can easily shed takedowns from all american wrestlers VIA footwork and timing.

This is the most ill-informed statement I've read on here in the last couple of days, and I read every post in the Missouri football boycott thread.

jonzie04 11-10-2015 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11873575)
This is the most ill-informed statement I've read on here in the last couple of days, and I read every post in the Missouri football boycott thread.

Apparently you've never Seen Alexander Gustaffson fight. That is exactly why it was so difficult for Jon Jones to take him down.

jonzie04 11-10-2015 01:35 AM

It really isn't that difficult of a concept to understand. If you can't grab somebody then obviously almost all throws/trips are completely eliminated. Also Timing takedowns is very important. GSP was a master at timing the double leg take down, which is a large part of why he was such a dominant wrestler despite not having a wrestling background.

LoneWolf 11-10-2015 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 11873576)
Apparently you've never Seen Alexander Gustaffson fight. That is exactly why it was so difficult for Jon Jones to take him down.

Apparently you don't understand that words have meanings. To say that "lots of non wrestling fighters can easily take down All-American wrestlers" is a joke. And then to back up your argument you use one example of a fight not involving an All-American wrestler. Jon Jones went to a JUCO out of high school. Yes, he won a JUCO National Championship, but let's not act like he was Dan Gable or John Smith.

Gustaffson also has had major training in the art of wrestling a skill which Mayweather has no experience. I'm not saying that Rousey would definitely win in an MMA rules fight against Mayweather, but the idea that Mayweather would knock her out easily before she could take him down is just dumb. Mayweather doesn't punch hard enough to knock out anyone.

jonzie04 11-10-2015 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11873581)
Apparently you don't understand that words have meanings. To say that "lots of non wrestling fighters can easily take down All-American wrestlers" is a joke. And then to back up your argument you use one example of a fight not involving an All-American wrestler. Jon Jones went to a JUCO out of high school. Yes, he won a JUCO National Championship, but let's not act like he was Dan Gable or John Smith.

Gustaffson also has had major training in the art of wrestling a skill which Mayweather has no experience. I'm not saying that Rousey would definitely win in an MMA rules fight against Mayweather, but the idea that Mayweather would knock her out easily before she could take him down is just dumb. Mayweather doesn't punch hard enough to knock out anyone.

Firstly i said lots of non wrestlers can AVOID being taken down, not TAKE down the wrestlers. Fighters use timing and footwork to both setup AND avoid takedowns in EVERY SINGLE fight. Who are some of the All americans Munoz, Hendricks, Cormier, Hendo, Mendez, Phil Davis, Lesnar, Cain. I've seen literally every single one of those guys struggle to take down fighters who didn't have a wrestling back ground... And it was because they all had a difficulty setting up shots without due to the other fighters timing and footwork. You really think that Gustaffson training in wrestling for a few years allowed him to be able to wrestle with an olympian like Cormier, or the best MMA wrestler in Jon Jones GTFO? Those few times they actually could get their hands on him sure... But the other 49 minutes and 35 seconds of the two fights it was Gus's ability to control range via footwork and timing.

And wtf do you mean floyd doesn't punch hard enough to knock anyone out? He's knocked out 26 professional male fighters... He would likely have no problem knocking out a much smaller woman, who wouldn't even see the punch coming.

I dont think you actually understand how much of fighting is based on timing.

LoneWolf 11-10-2015 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 11873586)
Firstly i said lots of non wrestlers can AVOID being taken down, not TAKE down the wrestlers. Fighters use timing and footwork to both setup AND avoid takedowns in EVERY SINGLE fight. Who are some of the All americans Munoz, Hendricks, Cormier, Hendo, Mendez, Phil Davis, Lesnar, Cain. I've seen literally every single one of those guys struggle to take down fighters who didn't have a wrestling back ground... And it was because they all had a difficulty setting up shots without due to the other fighters timing and footwork. You really think that Gustaffson training in wrestling for a few years allowed him to be able to wrestle with an olympian like Cormier, or the best MMA wrestler in Jon Jones GTFO? Those few times they actually could get their hands on him sure... But the other 49 minutes and 35 seconds of the two fights it was Gus's ability to control range via footwork and timing.

And wtf do you mean floyd doesn't punch hard enough to knock anyone out? He's knocked out 26 professional male fighters... He would likely have no problem knocking out a much smaller woman, who wouldn't even see the punch coming.

I dont think you actually understand how much of fighting is based on timing.

Since 2006 Mayweather has had one KO and one TKO in 14 fights. He has never been considered a powerful puncher. You are trying to use one of the best MMA fighters in the world as an example of what Mayweather could accomplish vs. Rousey. It's not only Gustaffson's boxing ability but also his wrestling training that helps him avoid being taken down. Mayweather has zero wrestling training and has turned into a timid bitch in the last several years of his career.

Another thing you need to consider is that boxers in general are accustomed to getting into clinches after a combination of punches. That is one thing that Mayweather wouldn't have the luxury of doing against any accomplished MMA fighter and against Rousey, it would be the end of the fight because she would own him once she was able to get her hands on him.

Bufkin 11-10-2015 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11873567)

This. Until she defeats Roseanne Barr, I have no interest in seeing her get her lights knocked out by a man.

jonzie04 11-10-2015 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 11873591)
Since 2006 Mayweather has had one KO and one TKO in 14 fights. He has never been considered a powerful puncher. You are trying to use one of the best MMA fighters in the world as an example of what Mayweather could accomplish vs. Rousey. It's not only Gustaffson's boxing ability but also his wrestling training that helps him avoid being taken down. Mayweather has zero wrestling training and has turned into a timid bitch in the last several years of his career.

Another thing you need to consider is that boxers in general are accustomed to getting into clinches after a combination of punches. That is one thing that Mayweather wouldn't have the luxury of doing against any accomplished MMA fighter and against Rousey, it would be the end of the fight because she would own him once she was able to get her hands on him.

Mayweather has knocked out 26 professional male boxers period. No he isn't a powerful puncher, but it doesn't take a lot of power to put someone out if they don't see it coming. And that is exactly what would happen if Ronda blindly rushed him like she does to all of them women she fought.

Obviously Gustaffsons wrestling ability helps him once the wrestlers are actually able to get their hands on him, but you're greatly mistaken if you attribute his take down defense to his wrestling ability and not his ability to control range...Lyoto Machida is another guy who's great at it. Aldo.... JDS...It has very little to do with wrestling, or wrestling training, and it has everything to do with the things I mentioned, in addition to reflexes... Go rewatch Machida vs Jones round 1. Machida easily controls the range and Jones can't even come close to taking him down unless he tries for a low single from 4 feet away.. Go rewatch Aldo vs Mendes an all american wrestler Aldo easily controls the range and Mendes really has to give everthing he has to even get close enough to even attempt a take down, and when he does he's so out of position he cant... Nothing to do with wrestling.

And Machida, JDS, Gus, Aldo etc aren't even in the same galaxy as Mayweather when it comes to footwork, reflexes, and ability to control Range..And they're successfully controlling the range, and avoiding takedowns against fighters who are much better at setting up takedowns than Ronda...Who just charges in.

The best boxers in the world can barely even get into punching range, and hit Mayweather from there. How in the hell is Ronda supposed to get even closer into clinch range where she does all of her takedown attempts?

Like I said, if Ronda was smarter at setting up takedowns, and had a good double or single, I would have no problem picking her to take Mayweather down, and then do whatever she wanted... But she doesn't have the skills to take Floyd down.

-King- 11-10-2015 05:16 AM

She literally wouldn't be able to catch him. And he would easily knock her the **** out.

-King- 11-10-2015 05:18 AM

Quote:

I don't like Mayweather. But saying he's turned into a timid bitch is just too much. I will never blame a boxer for not wanting to take repeated punches to the head. And if you're the best defensive fighter ever and can avoid it... you avoid it as much as possible. He would counter anything Ronda would do and knock her to another century.

Simply Red 11-10-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11873528)
So you really think he could keep her off him and avoid a takedown to apply the armbar?

yes - easily.

Simply Red 11-10-2015 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11873567)

Which one? Is this a threat to her? the raunchy chick got skills?

Simply Red 11-10-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 11873566)

Not likely.

Simply Red 11-10-2015 06:23 AM

PBF would have 3 punches on her before homegirl knew what hit her.

Simply Red 11-10-2015 06:25 AM

sorry anyone thinking this girl would have a shot - doesn't have any sort of grip on just how good a skilled boxer really is. I would think it'd be over inside one minute from kick off of Rd# 1.

New World Order 11-10-2015 06:39 AM

Ronda easy. How would Floyd defend the takedown?

New World Order 11-10-2015 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11873622)
sorry anyone thinking this girl would have a shot - doesn't have any sort of grip on just how good a skilled boxer really is. I would think it'd be over inside one minute from kick off of Rd# 1.

We saw James Toney in the octagon. And he got destroyed.

J Diddy 11-10-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 11873621)
PBF would have 3 punches on her before homegirl knew what hit her.

Before he even tried she'd have kicked him in the ****ing face without a single defense.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 07:20 AM

These threads are insane. Mayweather would absolutely destroy her.

-King- 11-10-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 11873640)
Before he even tried she'd have kicked him in the ****ing face without a single defense.

Floyd doesn't get hit. She'd never be able to keep up with him
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good 11-10-2015 07:32 AM

Rousey dominates an incredibly small pool of wildly inferior athletes. Mayweather has dominated a sport in which tens of millions of people all around the world compete.

You don't get this type of question in any other sport, but somehow people think that the sport in which strength, speed, and quickness are more important than in any other sport is the one a woman would have a chance in?

Floyd is much faster. He is much stronger. He is much quicker. He has much better footwork. He has much more experience. The best male fighters in the world can't lay a glove on him, but people think Rousey is going to somehow get inside on him and take him to the ground? Good luck with that.

stevieray 11-10-2015 07:35 AM

Boxing? PBF.

MMA? Rousey. One bull rush and take down is all that would be needed.

BigMeatballDave 11-10-2015 07:36 AM

Probably him, but I'd thoroughly enjoy her beating the shit out of him.

Baby Lee 11-10-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11873658)
Rousey dominates an incredibly small pool of wildly inferior athletes. Mayweather has dominated a sport in which tens of millions of people all around the world compete.

You don't get this type of question in any other sport, but somehow people think that the sport in which strength, speed, and quickness are more important than in any other sport is the one a woman would have a chance in?

Floyd is much faster. He is much stronger. He is much quicker. He has much better footwork. He has much more experience. The best male fighters in the world can't lay a glove on him, but people think Rousey is going to somehow get inside on him and take him to the ground? Good luck with that.

The thing about his speed is he's fast in a sport that doesn't allow grappling. The action occurs and the points are scored on strikes from distance, and sustained contact is broken up by the ref. Different story where someone only has to pin him down once if their grappling skills are sufficient.

Eleazar 11-10-2015 08:18 AM

This thread is just as intelligent as the "could Alabama beat the Lions" threads

jonzie04 11-10-2015 08:36 AM

How the fight would go down.

Step 1. Ronda Chases Floyd, Realizes she can't get into clinch range. Except 10x worse than this, as Mayweather humiliates her.

http://giant.gfycat.com/BraveLimpingGermanshepherd.gif

Step 2 Ronda abandons her judo which requires her to be in clinch range and Starts going for singles, doubles with her hands down

http://i43.tinypic.com/2m6abg7.jpg

Step 3 Floyd easily avoids the telegraphed shots, via footwork until he finds the angle wants and then catches her with her hands down with something like he did Ricky Hatton or Something similar to what Machida finished Bader with.

http://rs1155.pbsrc.com/albums/p543/...atton.gif~c200

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...wwgco1_500.gif

The end.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11873665)
The thing about his speed is he's fast in a sport that doesn't allow grappling. The action occurs and the points are scored on strikes from distance, and sustained contact is broken up by the ref. Different story where someone only has to pin him down once if their grappling skills are sufficient.

She never going to pin him down. She is a vastly inferior athlete...not even in the same universe. She would be the worst athlete he has ever faced in his career by a mile.

People seem to have this impression that MMA is mostly wrestling and submissions. It isn't. Mostly, it's boxing. Canello Alvarez couldn't get close enough to Mayweather to punch him, but you think Rhonda freaking Rousey is going to get close enough to him wrap him up and take him to the ground? Get the **** out of here.

In order to take him down, she would have to square up to him (bad idea) dive at him with her head completely exposed (really bad idea), and get close enough to not only touch him but actually wrap him up and take him down (never going to happen).

Rhonda Rousey beats up chicks. Awesome. So did Andy Kauffman.

Why Not? 11-10-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 11873690)
This thread is just as intelligent as the "could Alabama beat the Lions" threads

LOL! I was just thinking this. Every year, people try to play this hypothetical and argue for the NCAA team. Much like how this hypothetical fight would last maybe a min or two, the Lions would be up 35-0 at half.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 08:58 AM

It's like people don't have any idea of just how much more athletic men are than women. The best female golfer in history, Annika Sorenstam, wouldn't have been able to qualify for the men's tour, and that's in freaking golf...one of the least physically demanding sports.

Jerm 11-10-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11873544)
Rousey responding to an ESPN reporter question on fighting Mayweather after her winning the best fighter award..................
"I wonder how Floyd feels being beat by a woman for once. I'd like to see him pretend to not know who I am now."

Funny considering how he's dating a suspected woman beater and all around douche....not to mention slobbering all over Mike Tyson at every chance, her and the UFC are all hypocrites.

Anyways to answer the question, Floyd wins easily in any sort of fight you watn to conjure up.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 11873707)
How the fight would go down.

Step 1. Ronda Chases Floyd, Realizes she can't get into clinch range. Except 10x worse than this, as Mayweather humiliates her.

http://giant.gfycat.com/BraveLimpingGermanshepherd.gif

Step 2 Ronda abandons her judo which requires her to be in clinch range and Starts going for singles, doubles with her hands down

http://i43.tinypic.com/2m6abg7.jpg

Step 3 Floyd easily avoids the telegraphed shots, via footwork until he finds the angle wants and then catches her with her hands down with something like he did Ricky Hatton or Something similar to what Machida finished Bader with.

http://rs1155.pbsrc.com/albums/p543/...atton.gif~c200

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...wwgco1_500.gif

The end.

Rousey would never even throw a punch. It would be suicide to even attempt one. She couldn't possibly throw one quick enough to touch him even if he had his hands down, and she couldn't hurt him even if she did. Her only 'hope' would be to take him to the ground. Floyd wouldn't even have to defend himself from strikes. He would simply have to watch for her to shoot...which is much slower than punching.

The fight would be cringe worthy and boring...though it would be cool to see how fast Floyd could throw when he isn't wearing boxing gloves. You just wouldn't get to see it for more than about 5 seconds.

Mile High Mania 11-10-2015 09:12 AM

She's damn good... but wouldn't stand a chance. Maybe if you got Floyd drunk, then maybe she could go a few rounds. I would not want to watch that...

Amnorix 11-10-2015 09:31 AM

As others are pointing out, this wouldn't end well for Rousey. I'd root for her, but in the end she'd be crushed pretty damn quick.

There's a reason why sports are segregated into men's and women's, and that goes pretty much across the board. When you're talking about sports like boxing and MMA, it's ALL about speed, power and stamina, where men just have a massive advantage.

Sensual Lardass 11-10-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 11873626)

You can't tell the difference between a fat and old Toney and todays Mayweather? FFS.

Sensual Lardass 11-10-2015 09:40 AM

Rousey gets blasted out the first time she gets in Floyds range. She wants everyone to believe that she would beat his ass yet she won't move up 10 lbs to fight Cyborg.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 11873626)

A 41 year old boxer who was dragging around 50 extra pounds of flab got worked over by one of the best MMA fighters in history. What does that have to do with the best boxer in history still in his prime fighting a woman?

Sensual Lardass 11-10-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

What makes Rousey "one of the best MMA fighters in the world?" Is it her domination of a deep, talent rich division?

Eleazar 11-10-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11873724)
It's like people don't have any idea of just how much more athletic men are than women. The best female golfer in history, Annika Sorenstam, wouldn't have been able to qualify for the men's tour, and that's in freaking golf...one of the least physically demanding sports.

Just look at the two standing next to each other. You think she is going to be able to wrestle that guy to the ground and make him cry uncle? Give me a break.

chiefzilla1501 11-10-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensual Lardass (Post 11873773)
Rousey gets blasted out the first time she gets in Floyds range. She wants everyone to believe that she would beat his ass yet she won't move up 10 lbs to fight Cyborg.

Don't understand anyone who has an issue with Rousey not fighting Cyborg. But that's a separate issue. I agree with all the commentary that she would have a hard time clinching Mayweather or getting him to the ground. But regardless of speed or power, bet there's lots of dudes in her weight class she could easily go toe to toe with, let alone a boxer who doesn't know how to do it. So to me, it's not an issue of girls vs. guys. It's an issue of whether an MMA fighter in general can win considering the big boxing disadvantage.

chiefzilla1501 11-10-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensual Lardass (Post 11873788)
What makes Rousey "one of the best MMA fighters in the world?" Is it her domination of a deep, talent rich division?

Rousey is an Olympic gold medalist at judo. She knows grappling technique better than many of the dudes on the circuit. She's not some talentless hack.

Eleazar 11-10-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensual Lardass (Post 11873788)

ROFL

Brock 11-10-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11873800)
Don't understand anyone who has an issue with Rousey not fighting Cyborg. But that's a separate issue. I agree with all the commentary that she would have a hard time clinching Mayweather or getting him to the ground. But regardless of speed or power, bet there's lots of dudes in her weight class she could easily go toe to toe with, let alone a boxer who doesn't know how to do it. So to me, it's not an issue of girls vs. guys. It's an issue of whether an MMA fighter in general can win considering the big boxing disadvantage.

Can you name one of these men in her weight class she could "go toe to toe with"?

Sensual Lardass 11-10-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11873800)

Until she steps in and faces Cyborg she should be massively ridiculed for even suggesting that she has a chance against one of the best to ever lace them up.

Sensual Lardass 11-10-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11873806)
Rousey is an Olympic gold medalist at judo. She knows grappling technique better than many of the dudes on the circuit. She's not some talentless hack.

I didn't say she was.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11873812)
Can you name one of these men in her weight class she could "go toe to toe with"?

Glass Joe, maybe? Possibly Von Kaiser...

New World Order 11-10-2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11873775)
A 41 year old boxer who was dragging around 50 extra pounds of flab got worked over by one of the best MMA fighters in history. What does that have to do with the best boxer in history still in his prime fighting a woman?

The point is it's wishful thinking that Mayweather would land that 1 punch.

He has no idea how to defend takedowns. Rousey in training takes down male MMA guys who are bigger than her. But somehow, Mayweather can do it.

chiefzilla1501 11-10-2015 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11873812)

She probably wouldn't win many. Too much of a strength disadvantage. But she could hold her own against the bottom bantamweights.

Brock 11-10-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11873827)
She probably wouldn't win many. Too much of a strength disadvantage. But she could hold her own against the bottom bantamweights.

I have my doubts about even that. I like ronda a lot, but fighting a grown man with a lot of skills? Nah. I do not like her chances.

BigRedChief 11-10-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11873806)

Everyone agrees that if its a boxing match its over quick.

The crucial point of this hypothetical fun exercise is can she get close enough to him to take him down. I think, and most people would agree that its over if she gets him on the canvass because the armbar is a coming soon.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 11873821)
The point is it's wishful thinking that Mayweather would land that 1 punch.

He has no idea how to defend takedowns. Rousey in training takes down male MMA guys who are bigger than her. But somehow, Mayweather can do it.

You defend takedowns by not letting her get anywhere near close enough to grab him, and there isn't a human being in the planet who is better at doing that than Floyd Mayweather. His footwork is perfection. His timing is perfection. His accuracy is perfection.

His entire strategy would be 'don't let her get close enough to tackle you'. He can handle that in his sleep. He fights the best athletes in the world for a living. Ronda is slow and weak compared to the worst fighter he's ever faced.

He is quicker than she is. He is faster than she is. He is stronger than she is. He would absolutely murder her. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

Professional bowling has a women's division...****ng bowling. Why? Because women can't compete with men even in a sport that requires as little physical rigor as bowling because women can't roll a ball as fast as men. But some chick beats up other chicks, so she can beat Floyd ****ing Mayweather.

alnorth 11-10-2015 10:31 AM

Rousey would clearly, obviously win and it wouldn't even be close.

Now, if you tell Mayweather 6 months in advance and have him train with a grappler working on nothing but takedown defense, then it wouldn't be a good matchup for Rousey at all, but right now he would not have any clue at all how to avoid getting thrown on his ass and put into an armbar.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11873833)
Everyone agrees that if its a boxing match its over quick.

The crucial point of this hypothetical fun exercise is can she get close enough to him to take him down. I think, and most people would agree that its over if she gets him on the canvass because the armbar is a coming soon.

She would never get him to the canvas...not in a million years. Even if she did, he is strong enough to fend her off long enough to get to his feet. Submission holds aren't easy, especially when you're both covered in sweat. She has zero chance. If Vegas made her a 100:1 underdog, I would sell off everything I own to wager it in Mayweather.

alnorth 11-10-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11873858)
You defend takedowns by not letting her get anywhere near close enough to grab him, and there isn't a human being in the planet who is better at doing that than Floyd Mayweather. His footwork is perfection. His timing is perfection. His accuracy is perfection.

Mayweather does not avoid the clinch. He gets into a clinch all the time. This idea that he would figure out how to do what strikers have not been able to accomplish against a grappler ("not let them get anywhere close to them") is contradicted by years of actual fights by hundreds of fighters.

The only way it ever happens is if the striker nails their opponent 30 seconds in the first round before they have a chance to close, and I don't really count that because thats not really what you are describing.

alnorth 11-10-2015 10:45 AM

I think its also useful to point out that when we talk about takedowns, most people think about wrestling single or double-leg takedowns.

Rousey does not do that. She has perfected the hip toss, and a boxing clinch which Mayweather is very comfortable with getting into, is a near-perfect situation for a hip toss (which is obviously illegal in boxing).

The boxing clinch is a crucial part of Mayweather's defensive game that he gets into several times every single round, you can't tell me he's going to successfully avoid it.

jonzie04 11-10-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11873879)
I think its also useful to point out that when we talk about takedowns, most people think about wrestling single or double-leg takedowns.

Rousey does not do that. She has perfected the hip toss, and a boxing clinch which Mayweather is very comfortable with getting into, is a near-perfect situation for a hip toss (which is obviously illegal in boxing).

The boxing clinch is a crucial part of Mayweather's defensive game that he gets into several times every single round, you can't tell me he's going to successfully avoid it.

This is the EXACT reason why Ronda couldn't take Floyd down... Floyd is undefeated for a reason dude, he's a very smart guy. He knows good and well that Ronda Will take him down, and sub him if she can get into clinch range.. He is not going to let that happen. If Ronda was masterful at cutting off the cage, and setting up and timing takedowns like a GSP or something then I could see it, but with the way she plods foward with her hands down. She'd be so off balance he could take her down...Though he would opt to knock her out.

DJ's left nut 11-10-2015 10:55 AM

Somehow this reminds me of the Tyson vs. Lee debates.

Everyone just assumes that the martial artist is this master strategist and the boxer is a slow, lumbering dipshit that doesn't know how to defend himself against a takedown.

Just exactly how the hell is Rousey going to get Mayweather to go to ground? The girls Rousey is hip-tossing aren't anywhere near as athletic as Mayweather. Moreover, once she gets him there, he's not going to just give her his arm. Finally, we've seen someone like Jon Jones simply be too damn strong to take out via a simple arm bar and Mayweather will have a similar relative advantage with regards to Rousey.

Maybe in 10 fights, Mayweather screws up a couple of times and Rousey gets to him, gets him on the ground, gets a hold of his arm, gets it extended and gets a rip. But Mayweather's going to win the vast majority of those matchups. He's a brilliant fighter and among the best athletes in the history of the sport. He's not going to just stand there - he'll learn some basic defenses and lean on some pretty insane athleticism to pick his spots and poke/pop Rousey into the L.

Chief_For_Life58 11-10-2015 10:56 AM

lol all u guys who chose mayweather know absolutely nothing about fighting. rousey would take floyd down in about 10 seconds and then the fight would be over in about under a minute probably

Saul Good 11-10-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11873879)

Explain to me how she's going to get past a Mayweather jab...the most effective weapon in the history of boxing. She's a great female athlete. That makes her a ridiculously, laughably bad athlete compared to professional boxers.

She is slow. She is weak. Floyd would abuse her, and it would be painful to watch.

alnorth 11-10-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 11873890)
This is the EXACT reason why Ronda couldn't take Floyd down... Floyd is undefeated for a reason dude, he's a very smart guy. He knows good and well that Ronda Will take him down, and sub him if she can get into clinch range.. He is not going to let that happen. If Ronda was masterful at cutting off the cage, and setting up and timing takedowns like a GSP or something then I could see it, but with the way she plods foward with her hands down. She'd be so off balance he could take her down...Though he would opt to knock her out.

Its not that damned hard to grab someone. Strikers have given up on the idea that they can just avoid a clinch long ago. In MMA, strikers have to have takedown defense or they just flat-out lose.

I'm not saying it would take much, you give Mayweather just 6 months with a good grappling coach, and I'm putting all my money on him. But right now, he would not be capable of avoiding the clinch and the hip toss.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 11873892)
Somehow this reminds me of the Tyson vs. Lee debates.

Everyone just assumes that the martial artist is this master strategist and the boxer is a slow, lumbering dipshit that doesn't know how to defend himself against a takedown.

Just exactly how the hell is Rousey going to get Mayweather to go to ground? The girls Rousey is hip-tossing aren't anywhere near as athletic as Mayweather. Moreover, once she gets him there, he's not going to just give her his arm. Finally, we've seen someone like Jon Jones simply be too damn strong to take out via a simple arm bar and Mayweather will have a similar relative advantage with regards to Rousey.

Maybe in 10 fights, Mayweather screws up a couple of times and Rousey gets to him, gets him on the ground, gets a hold of his arm, gets it extended and gets a rip. But Mayweather's going to win the vast majority of those matchups. He's a brilliant fighter and among the best athletes in the history of the sport. He's not going to just stand there - he'll learn some basic defenses and lean on some pretty insane athleticism to pick his spots and poke/pop Rousey into the L.

Rhonda can judo throw women, though. That means she would beat Floyd Mayweather.

alnorth 11-10-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 11873903)
Explain to me how she's going to get past a Mayweather jab...the most effective weapon in the history of boxing. She's a great female athlete. That makes her a ridiculously, laughably bad athlete compared to professional boxers.

She is slow. She is weak. Floyd would abuse her, and it would be painful to watch.

That jab needs a lot of time and rounds to work, he gets all the time in the world in boxing because he can freely clinch and wait for the break over and over again.

She would just take it on the way to the clinch. She would not be knocked out, and in the first clinch it would quickly be over.

WhawhaWhat 11-10-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11873914)
That jab needs a lot of time and rounds to work, he gets all the time in the world in boxing because he can freely clinch and wait for the break over and over again.

She would just take it on the way to the clinch. She would not be knocked out, and in the first clinch it would quickly be over.

His sub defense couldn't catch up fast enough to her skill on the ground and her clinch game is Olympic level good and would dominate. If she can avoid Mayweather landing a big punch, she wins in less than a round.

Saul Good 11-10-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 11873907)
Its not that damned hard to grab someone. Strikers have given up on the idea that they can just avoid a clinch long ago. In MMA, strikers have to have takedown defense or they just flat-out lose.

I'm not saying it would take much, you give Mayweather just 6 months with a good grappling coach, and I'm putting all my money on him. But right now, he would not be capable of avoiding the clinch and the hip toss.

He gets into clenches against the best boxers in the world. He's not getting into a clench against someone who wouldn't even attempt a punch. You realize that, right? You have to realize that Rousey would never even attempt a punch. The instant she did, he would counter with a blur of punches to her face...without boxing gloves. The fight would be over instantaneously.

Knowing that he doesn't have to defend himself from a punch, he'd just stand back and jab the **** out of her and bail the instant she tried to shoot. Of course, that moment would never come because she would have t square up against him and drop her head and hands to shoot. Suddenly, she would wake up with a doctor shining a flashlight into her pupils.