ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How long did you hold your first "real" job? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137596)

Rain Man 03-19-2006 02:25 PM

How long did you hold your first "real" job?

After you entered the working world for good, and got your first "real" job, how long did you last at that specific employer? Did you plan to work there indefinitely, or did you view it as a "practice job" coming in?

I made it for almost five years at mine. I definitely viewed it as a career job when I went in, but after about three years I realized that I wasn't going to make it for another 30.

Frazod 03-19-2006 02:29 PM

Navy. Six years. Longest I've ever worked for a single entity, but assuming I don't get fired in the next couple of weeks, I'll go over six years at my current job next month.

Ironically, I started at my current job on the same date I enlisted - April 3 (obviously different years).

4th and Long 03-19-2006 02:31 PM

Where's the, "I'm currently working in my first real job and I've been employed there X number of years." option?

Rain Man 03-19-2006 02:33 PM

I lasted at my first "real" job for 4.5 years, and then my second one went 6 years and 1 day. I'm about to hit 7 years at my current job.

In school, I worked on and off at the steak house for 5.5 years, but it wasn't a "real" job. They did discuss a possible manager position, which actually would've paid as much as my first "real" job and probably would've been easier.

Rain Man 03-19-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long
Where's the, "I'm currently working in my first real job and I've been empoyed there X number of years." option?

Ooh. Good point. For the purposes of this poll, assume that you've just been fired.

KC Jones 03-19-2006 02:35 PM

6.5 years.

I'd have stayed longer but it went from dream job to nightmarish at the end. I have trouble being a 'company guy' now. I see myself as more of a mercenary - brought in for the skills I have to fix something or build something new. Once the heavy lifting is done I want to move on to the next project or company. I should just go back to contracting and stop pretending I'm an employee.

4th and Long 03-19-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Ooh. Good point. For the purposes of this poll, assume that you've just been fired.

Oh. Well in that case, 13 years. Which line do I stand in to get some government cheese?

go bo 03-19-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man

by real, do you mean a full-time permanent position (not including summer jobs)?

and does the military count?

other than the army and part-time and/or summer jobs, my first job lasted less than a year...

i hit the wrong choice on the poll, 6 months or less because i was thinking about my summer jobs...

Rain Man 03-19-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bo
by real, do you mean a full-time permanent position (not including summer jobs)?

and does the military count?

other than the army and part-time and/or summer jobs, my first job lasted less than a year...

i hit the wrong choice on the poll, 6 months or less because i was thinking about my summer jobs...

It would be the first job where it was your main obligation on an everyday basis, so yes, the military could count.

go bo 03-19-2006 02:53 PM

ok, but the military wouldn't let me quit, or it would have been a lot less than 3 years...

luv 03-19-2006 02:55 PM

7+ years and counting...

I never dreamed I'd be there this long. Once I started making enough to survive on my own (and after a few promotions), I figured I am pretty much stuck there for now.

Bearcat 03-19-2006 02:55 PM

Only a few months here, but I just started my first "real job".

Since you brought it up, I've had a pretty bad streak of closing places down. My first job was at the NKC Stephenson's, which closed... I left for Golden Corral on Barry Road, which closed... went to the Olive Garden & The Majestic Steakhouse from there. Neither has closed, but The Majestic Steakhouse wasn't in the greatest of shape when I left (but they've turned it around from what I've heard). Worked at Truman Steakhouse, which closed, and I've worked for Farmland, which was by far the biggest corporation I've brought to its knees.

Hallmark is dealing with a down industry, so who knows what the future will bring... :p

dr00d 03-19-2006 03:01 PM

When I got my first "real" job, they told me upfront that they would like someone who will stick around a couple years, so I said I could do that. It has been two years now and I am looking elsewhere, not because I don't like working there, which I could probably do the rest of my life, but I'd like to learn more and have a lot more opportunity in the future. This current job basically has zero movement for the next 30 years and likewise, I will never get a raise. Just looking in jobs in or around kc in the last month has shown me I can make twice the money that I can in Manhattan.

joesomebody 03-20-2006 02:12 PM

I am at just over 3.5 years of my 4 year contract which I'm not extending...

I thought I would do my 20, but I just want something else now. I'm going to try to finish college and be a high school teacher.

Rain Man 03-20-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bo
ok, but the military wouldn't let me quit, or it would have been a lot less than 3 years...

Not brave enough to shoot yourself in the foot?