ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Complete Arnold List/An Exhaustive Ranking of All 29 Schwarzengger Starring Roles (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269067)

Ceej 01-19-2013 10:29 AM

Last Action Hero needs to be higher!

Used to watch the shit out of that when I was younger.

Lex Luthor 01-19-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9332597)
Am I the only person that absolutely hates Terminator 2? That movie sucked.

Yes. You're the only one.

Deberg_1990 01-19-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9332885)
Last Action Hero needs to be higher!

Used to watch the shit out of that when I was younger.

that movie has grown on me over the years. Its a little better than it was given credit for. It flopped and im not sure audiences were ready for a cynical/parody of action movies at the time.

Ceej 01-19-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9332903)
that movie has grown on me over the years. Its a little better than it was given credit for. It flopped and im not sure audiences were ready for a cynical/parody of action movies at the time.

I haven't seen it in years. But I always made an effort to see it when it was on.

I always enjoyed it too.

Fishpicker 01-19-2013 11:02 AM

Conan has no redeeming qualities? really? it has its flaws but come on. you didn't like the score by Basil Poledouris?

Hammock Parties 01-19-2013 11:22 AM

End of days is just cool for the artistry with which the film was made.

Frazod 01-19-2013 11:29 AM

The original Conan was directed by John Milius. The screenplay was written by Oliver Stone, a straight, unwaivering revenge story. It was beautifully shot, had high production values. They used actually quality Spanish swords instead of tin foil Hollywood props. The score by (Kansas City native) Basil Poledouris is one of the best in motion picture history. Much like Star Wars, the weaker principal performances were bolstered by talented supporting cast members, like James Earl Jones and Max Von Sydow. Do you really need an Oscar-caliber actor to play a pissed-off avenging barbarian? NO. Was it cheesy? Sure, but no more so that other Schwarzenegger films like Commando. It's not his worse movie - it's one of his best. It is far and away my favorite Arnie movie, and the only ones I'd acknowledge as being better overall films are Terminator, Terminator 2 and Predator.

And if you don't think so, and especially if you think it's worse than shit like the second Conan, Red Sonja or Batman and Robin, which were all absolutely horrific, you're ****ing reeruned.

Easy 6 01-19-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9332847)
Thread starter is the first person ive ever heard say or list Conan the Destroyer as better than Barbarian?? WTF?

Destroyer was pure cheeeese.

THIS.

That list sucks predator balls.

Easy 6 01-19-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9332980)
End of days is just cool for the artistry with which the film was made.

Definitely one of his best serious acting roles.

Deberg_1990 01-19-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9332997)
The original Conan was directed by John Milius. The screenplay was written by Oliver Stone, a straight, unwaivering revenge story. It was beautifully shot, had high production values. They used actually quality Spanish swords instead of tin foil Hollywood props. The score by (Kansas City native) Basil Poledouris is one of the best in motion picture history. Much like Star Wars, the weaker principal performances were bolstered by talented supporting cast members, like James Earl Jones and Max Von Sydow. Do you really need an Oscar-caliber actor to play a pissed-off avenging barbarian? NO. Was it cheesy? Sure, but no more so that other Schwarzenegger films like Commando. It's not his worse movie - it's one of his best. It is far and away my favorite Arnie movie, and the only ones I'd acknowledge as being better overall films are Terminator, Terminator 2 and Predator.

And if you don't think so, and especially if you think it's worse than shit like the second Conan, Red Sonja or Batman and Robin, which were all absolutely horrific, you're ****ing reeruned.

This.

Ever seen the reboot from a year or two ago? IM tempted, but heard it sucks.

ThaVirus 01-19-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9332597)
Am I the only person that absolutely hates Terminator 2? That movie sucked.

Wow, yes, you most certainly are the only one. Not only that, I now brand you village idiot for life. NO REDEMPTION.

Hammock Parties 01-19-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9332997)
The score by (Kansas City native) Basil Poledouris is one of the best in motion picture history. d.

They flat out do not score films like Basil Poledouris used to do it anymore.

It's a dead art. He's also dead.

I love his scores for Conan, Robocop, The Hunt for Red October and Starship Troopers. In fact his score for ST might be the best part of that film.

Fishpicker 01-19-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9333101)

Ever seen the reboot from a year or two ago? IM tempted, but heard it sucks.

It's incredibly bad. The opening scene is pretty funny though. Conan's mother and father are fighting in a battle. It's an every day kind of battle and the movie doesn't explain why they are there. Conan's mother is pregnant with Conan and is nearly due while she is fighting so she is a bit hampered. She gets herself cut up and she is going to die from bleeding out. Conan's father wants that baby though. He performs an emergency C-section with a very broad knife. He doesn't look away from his wife's eyes while he does it, he just pulls out a large blade and quickly stabs his wife in the vag then, saws her open. then the father reaches in and pulls Conan out. (he did all that and never looked down to see where he was cutting/stabbing) Once he pulls Conan out, the father holds Conan over his head to expose him to the elements so he will toughen up. Baby Conan and his loving dad then let out a battle cry, together.

that's fairly nonsensical but it's not the worst part of that movie.

Deberg_1990 01-19-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 9333226)
It's incredibly bad. The opening scene is pretty funny though. Conan's mother and father are fighting in a battle. It's an every day kind of battle and the movie doesn't explain why they are there. Conan's mother is pregnant with Conan and is nearly due while she is fighting so she is a bit hampered. She gets herself cut up and she is going to die from bleeding out. Conan's father wants that baby though. He performs an emergency C-section with a very broad knife. He doesn't look away from his wife's eyes while he does it, he just pulls out a large blade and quickly stabs his wife in the vag then, saws her open. then the father reaches in and pulls Conan out. (he did all that and never looked down to see where he was cutting/stabbing) Once he pulls Conan out, the father holds Conan over his head to expose him to the elements so he will toughen up. Baby Conan and his loving dad then let out a battle cry, together.

ROFL

I have to watch this now.

ThaVirus 01-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 9333226)

LMAO Yeah.. Pretty bad.

I thought the "born of battle" line was pretty cool though.