ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life What do Homer Simpson and Halliburton have in common? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263662)

Rain Man 09-14-2012 07:26 PM

What do Homer Simpson and Halliburton have in common?

Oh, and don't pick up anything on the side of the road in West Texas for a while.

http://thoriumaustralia.org/wp-conte...impson-300.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Tube With Radioactive Material Is Missing
Article

By ALISON SIDER

HOUSTON—Halliburton Co. said Thursday that it was searching for a 7-inch tube containing radioactive material that went missing in West Texas earlier this week.

The company said it "strongly cautions members of the public that if they locate this source, they should not touch or handle it, stay a minimum of 25 feet away" and contact local law enforcement or Halliburton's emergency hotline.

The stainless-steel tube, used in the measuring and evaluating of conditions within oil and gas wells, was discovered missing on Tuesday en route between two well sites located near Pecos and Odessa, Texas, the company said. The cities are about 78 miles apart. The area has seen a renaissance in oil-production activity in recent years, triggered by high oil prices and hydraulic fracturing technology.

The Texas Department of State Health Services said Halliburton's oil-and-gas crew realized the device was missing when they arrived at the well south of Odessa and noticed the protective shielding where it is usually stored wasn't locked.

Teams are combing the route between the two well sites searching for the tube, which is marked with the words "DANGER RADIOACTIVE" as well as a radiation warning symbol, Halliburton said. The company is offering a reward for information about the tube's whereabouts.

Halliburton said it has notified Texas health officials, local law enforcement and state highway patrol, and is working with authorities.

The Texas Department of State Health Services said the device isn't considered highly radioactive, but "could expose someone who comes in close contact with it for an extended period of time to a harmful dose of radiation." The department also said it was requesting support from the Texas National Guard.

stonedstooge 09-14-2012 07:28 PM

Wow. Finding it would be greater than stumbling upon a 5 cent bottle back in the old days

Mi_chief_fan 09-14-2012 07:30 PM

Greatest. Story. EVER!

BigMeatballDave 09-14-2012 07:36 PM

Doesn't Clay's dad work for Haliburton?

notorious 09-14-2012 07:45 PM

They will figure out where it's at when 6 legged coyotes begin to appear.

Psyko Tek 09-14-2012 07:52 PM

my gawd this is how daredevil and the teenage mutant ninja turtles got started
so in Tejas would be here hold my beer man and teenage mutant armadillos?

notorious 09-14-2012 07:53 PM

Honestly, if one were to lose radioactive material, that is probably the best place. There is NOTHING out there.

Rain Man 09-14-2012 07:57 PM

I'm most interested in learning how it happened. Presumably you had a guy in a semi, and you had this tube sitting in the back. Now, given the 25-foot radius in the article, it seems like this thing would've had to be in some sort of big lead box or something. It doesn't seem like they'd just throw it in the back of a trailer. So how did it get out of the big lead box?

And how did it get out of the truck? Did they leave it sitting on the back bumper or something? Did they set it on the roof when they were getting in? I'm having trouble coming up with any sort of plausible scenario.

RJ 09-14-2012 08:56 PM

Doh!!!

In58men 09-14-2012 09:00 PM

Lame

Bugeater 09-14-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8910731)
I'm most interested in learning how it happened. Presumably you had a guy in a semi, and you had this tube sitting in the back. Now, given the 25-foot radius in the article, it seems like this thing would've had to be in some sort of big lead box or something. It doesn't seem like they'd just throw it in the back of a trailer. So how did it get out of the big lead box?

And how did it get out of the truck? Did they leave it sitting on the back bumper or something? Did they set it on the roof when they were getting in? I'm having trouble coming up with any sort of plausible scenario.

I'd go with left in on the roof. Happens to me all the time when I'm out measuring and evaluating of conditions within oil and gas wells.

KChiefer 09-15-2012 02:23 AM

Cheney's heart.?.?

Zebedee DuBois 09-15-2012 07:03 AM

LMAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8911252)
Cheney's heart.?.?

Buehler445 09-15-2012 07:09 AM

That's pretty crazy. There is a lot of radioactive shit in those oil wells. Crazy shit.

bevischief 09-15-2012 07:15 AM

West Texas is like North Dakota no one lives there.