ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Cowher to San Diego? ChiefsPlanet meltdown imminent?? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197701)

orange 12-02-2008 03:20 AM

Cowher to San Diego? ChiefsPlanet meltdown imminent??

Cowher to San Diego? Not likely

December 1, 2008 2:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

There are rumors flying in San Diego that the Chargers will pursue Bill Cowher to take over as coach next season.

I am not sure where the rumors started. But all I know is that I've been flooded with e-mails about the subject in the past 12 hours. So, the rumor does have steam.

But does it have legs? At this point, I would say no.

Anything can happen in the NFL. The unexpected happens all the time. I mean, who thought the San Diego Chargers would be 4-8 at this point?

There seems to be much better fits out there for Cowher. There are major rumblings inside NFL circles that Cowher will end his two-season hiatus and end up in Cleveland where he would run the whole show. That makes the most sense. There's a history and Cowher isn't going anywhere he wouldn't have control.

But Cowher to San Diego seems farfetched and impractical at this time. I think this rumor arose because the facts that Cowher is available and Chargers coach Norv Turner could be in trouble. Available coach and potential opening doesn't always equal a good fit.

Unless San Diego completely blew up the entire program and fired general manager A.J. Smith, it would be very unlikely that Cowher would go to San Diego just as coach.

And it would be highly unlikely that Smith would lose his job in San Diego. He is one of the most respected front office men in the league and he has built a strong roster. There is little chance he will be cut loose unless ownership in San Diego is completely fed up. At this point, that doesn't appear to be the case.

San Diego owner Dean Spanos and Smith both said two weeks ago that Turner would be back. But that was before San Diego lost two straight games. San Diego has lost five of its past six games and is on the brink of being eliminated from contention in the AFC West.

Still, if the Chargers lose a couple of more games, it wouldn't be a surprise if ownership changes its mind about Turner. But it would be a surprise if his replacement was Cowher. It is just doesn't seem to be the right fit.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...ot-likely.html

RustShack 12-02-2008 03:23 AM

I think that would be the perfect situation for him.

BigRock 12-02-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5264411)
Unless San Diego completely blew up the entire program and fired general manager A.J. Smith, it would be very unlikely that Cowher would go to San Diego just as coach.

It would also be somewhat unlikely that he'd go work for the GM who treated Cowher's second father Marty like garbage.

orange 12-02-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 5264413)
It would also be somewhat unlikely that he'd go work for the GM who treated Cowher's second father Marty like garbage.

Couldn't firing Smith be a form of burying the hatchet? That plus lots of money, of course.

JOhn 12-02-2008 03:35 AM

I really think it will be at least another year before he considers jumping back in the coaching circles.

BigRock 12-02-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5264414)
Couldn't firing Smith be a form of burying the hatchet? That plus lots of money, of course.

If they fired him. The portion I quoted was was saying Cowher wouldn't want to go somewhere with a GM already in place. Even if Cowher didn't care if a GM was there, he still wouldn't go work for AJ Smith.

MichaelH 12-02-2008 04:44 AM

The real issue here is that most coaches get fired after losing seasons. Except Hermie.

mylittlepony 12-02-2008 06:58 AM

I heard somebody mention he was insisting on coaching a team that played the 3-4 D. So it makes sence.

King_Chief_Fan 12-02-2008 07:33 AM

I don't have a link but it was also rumored on ESPN that Marty and Bill were candidates for Cleveland.:hmmm:

Agent V 12-02-2008 08:09 AM

I was never a fan of Cowher coaching in Kansas City, but at least San Diego is doing SOMETHING to dig themselves out before it's too late.

BigChiefFan 12-02-2008 08:23 AM

This is good news, because Mort reported Norv would be back next year-I'm just glad Mort doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and could easily be wrong about Herm.

talastan 12-02-2008 08:26 AM

If Cowher went to Sandy Eggo, talk about a power struggle. AJ Smith and Cowher would be fighting non-stop. I don't see it happening myself. Cowher to Cleveland is much more likely. Especially if the Browns drop Crennell and Savage.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-02-2008 08:51 AM

Further unsubstantiated rumors of nightmarish proportions include a possible head coaching job for Mike Holmgren in Kansas City.

Just claw my eyeballs out, remove my eardrums, and sell my Chiefs Gear. Forever.

BigChiefFan 12-02-2008 08:55 AM

The AFC West is ripe for the taking,if Clark would just make a move with a competent head coach and GM.

Extra Point 12-02-2008 08:57 AM

I'm putting Cowher as GM of the Chiefs on my Christmas 09 wish list.