ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KC Star Chiefs Notes: Morton will play Sunday (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98199)

tk13 09-11-2004 01:08 AM

KC Star Chiefs Notes: Morton will play Sunday

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...fs/9634683.htm

CHIEFS NOTES

MORTON TO PLAY

After wide receiver Johnnie Morton finished the week of practice without experiencing any significant problems, coach Dick Vermeil said Morton would play Sunday at Denver.

Vermeil said Morton, Eddie Kennison and Dante Hall would receive significant playing time against the Broncos. That leaves rookie Richard Smith as the spare receiver who may not get many snaps.

LAST YEAR'S DEBACLE

The Chiefs' 45-27 loss last year in Denver is best remembered for the Broncos' Clinton Portis rushing for 218 yards and five touchdowns. Few recall that the Chiefs led 21-17 at halftime after getting a touchdown on each first-half possession.

Quarterback Trent Green is one. He also recalled that the Chiefs didn't score again until the game's final moments, long after the Broncos pulled away.

“In the second half we were like a completely different team,” Green said. “We've somehow got to play like we did those first two quarters but stretch it over a four-quarter period. That's something that we're stressing every day.”

INJURY REPORT

Pos. Chiefs Injury Status
TE Kris Wilson leg O
LB Kawika Mitchell ankle D
LB Keyaron Fox thigh Q
WR Samie Parker hamstring Q
WR Dante Hall shin P
CB Dexter McCleon shoulder P
WR Johnnie Morton Achilles P
G Brian Waters bicep P

----

Pos. Broncos Injury Status
DT Luther Elliss shoulder Q
OT Cornell Green groin Q
LB Patrick Chukwurah back Q
LB Terry Pierce knee P

Key: O – Out; D – Doubtful; Q – Questionable; P – Probable.

— Adam Teicher/The Star

Demonpenz 09-11-2004 01:13 AM

kris wilson is out! We are screwed

Megbert 09-11-2004 01:41 AM

I read today at a bar that Trent Greens stock is "down" since Morton is hurt and Bo is done for the season and we were weak at WR last year.

Ummmm Looks like Morton will play on Sunday and well Bo didn't exactly light it up last season. Gotta love these national ass clowns, they read a couple of headlines and make their conclusions.

As long as Trent is on and we have Holmes, Gonzo and a couple serviceable WR not to mention T-Rich we will be fine on O.

RedandGold 09-11-2004 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
kris wilson is out! We are screwed

No...it's "We're DOOMED"

Deberg_1990 09-11-2004 08:29 AM

Oh well.....i dont expect Morton to Light it up or anything..but at least hes a saavy veteran to have in the game....I really had hoped that this would provide a chance for R Smith to step it up and show us what hes got! Maybe this wil be better for him and leave him wide open more since no one will even know who he is. That is..if he ever even see the field?

RedandGold 09-11-2004 08:33 AM

I look at it on the bright side in that we are basically lining up the same talent that constituted the league's best offense. Even though it would have been nice to see an upgrade at Morton's position, we aren't any worse off.

With this being said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Smith on the field for quite a few snaps.

Bowser 09-11-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedandGold
With this being said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Smith on the field for quite a few snaps.

I'm thinking that's not such a bad thing. I would love to see him push for the third WR job, just so Dante doesn't get worn out through the season.

dtrain 09-11-2004 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=tk13][url]
Vermeil said Morton, Eddie Kennison and Dante Hall would receive significant playing time against the Broncos. That leaves rookie Richard Smith as the spare receiver who may not get many snaps.

Smith not get many snaps! If I am not mistaken didn't he have an outstanding camp? What is the use of playing your butt off just to sit the bench. LET THE BEST PLAYER PLAY! Who cares if that person is drafted or not. :cuss: :cuss:

Deberg_1990 09-11-2004 10:48 AM

[QUOTE=dtrain]
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
[url]

Smith not get many snaps! If I am not mistaken didn't he have an outstanding camp? What is the use of playing your butt off just to sit the bench. LET THE BEST PLAYER PLAY! Who cares if that person is drafted or not. :cuss: :cuss:

Exactly! We need to give this guy some snaps to see if hes a "true playa" or not? At the very least give Dante some rest!

Mr. Christopher 09-11-2004 10:54 AM

I highly doubt that Smith would qualify as "The Best Player." If he was, I believe he would play.

I don't think that it matters whether he was drafted or not...there's a certain running back on this team that wasn't drafted, either.

Hoover 09-11-2004 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Christopher
I highly doubt that Smith would qualify as "The Best Player." If he was, I believe he would play.

I don't think that it matters whether he was drafted or not...there's a certain running back on this team that wasn't drafted, either.

Hey Hot Lips!

Mr. Laz 09-11-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrain
LET THE BEST PLAYER PLAY! :cuss:

what makes you think he's not...

oh i remember, it's that bullchips concept that Morton isn't any good.

:doh!:

TRR 09-11-2004 11:49 AM

Smith will get some snaps because I think Morton's conditioning will become a factor during the game.

I am very, very glad to see Morton will be playing. That means we can spread the snaps around, and keep Dante a little bit fresher during the game.

philfree 09-11-2004 11:54 AM

Just go Johnny go! Go!
Johnny B. Good!

PhilFree :arrow:

BigChiefFan 09-11-2004 12:17 PM

Morton playing is a good thing. We need his veteran experience going into Invesco to help open up the offense. Boerigter being out sucks, but it would be alot worse if Morton was out, too.