ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life ***OFFICIAL Teacher Appreciation Thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267912)

BigRedChief 12-21-2012 04:01 PM

***OFFICIAL Teacher Appreciation Thread***

The last year I've seen and read a lot of criticism of teachers. Greedy, Lazy etc. etc.

Just like every profession there are bad apples. But, I think most teachers chose their profession to help kids instead of a profession that pays more. As the Sandy Hook tragedy proved someday that teacher may take a bullet for your child.

I know that there are teachers that touched us all, made us aware of the wonder in life, helped us get through a tough subject, taught us something, helped that light go off in your head. Let's share our stories of teachers that have touched our lives.

keg in kc 12-21-2012 04:03 PM

I have long thought that teaching is one of the most undervalued professions. It has to be a calling, for as little as most of them make, and it literally shapes the future for everyone. Why it isn't more highly regarded (or paid) I will never know.

BigRedChief 12-21-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9230462)
I have long thought that teaching is one of the most undervalued professions. It has to be a calling, for as little as most of them make, and it literally shapes the future for everyone. Why it isn't more highly regarded (or paid) I will never know.

I'm married to a teacher. One year she logged all the hours she put in for the year. That year she made less than the minimum wage. She cared about the kids, not the money.

LiveSteam 12-21-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9230473)

She cared about the kids, not the money.

:clap:

gblowfish 12-21-2012 04:16 PM

My wife is a teacher too. She teaches middle school art. I've seen her buy hundreds of dollars worth of art supplies like paint, paper, clay, etc out of her own pocket, because the school district doesn't give her enough of a budget to give the kids what they need to do their projects the right way. She never complains, she just loves the kids and wants them to succeed. I don't know where she gets the patience. Teachers certainly deserve summer vacations, that's for sure!

-King- 12-21-2012 04:32 PM

F em. They only work 180 days out of the year.

Add in snow days and other school holidays and they have it made in the shade...

RealSNR 12-21-2012 04:37 PM

Don't give a **** about teachers. They're nice people, but they're no different than steel workers or doctors or coroners or Walmart clerks or rocket scientists or garbagemen.

Nobody cares.

Scorp 12-21-2012 04:41 PM

I love teachers! You do it wrong and they make you do it over and over and over again! :thumb:

Gonzo 12-21-2012 04:47 PM

Oh christ... I'll be warming up the ban hammer here pretty quick Im sure.

RealSNR 12-21-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9230559)

How does one warm up a hammer before they use it? Did teachers not explain clearly that you don't have to warm up hammers before use?

Zebedee DuBois 12-21-2012 04:52 PM

They are a remarkable lot. The reward has got to be in the kids, because they put up with an awful lot of crap.
Seems like every taxpaying citizen feels they have a right to tell teachers how to do their jobs, and then bitch about how much they get paid. Now some are calling for teachers to carry guns - geesh, I 'spose they'll want them to furnish their own pistol, and arrange for their own training.

KurtCobain 12-21-2012 04:53 PM

I had a Badass science teacher.

pr_capone 12-21-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9230473)
I'm married to a teacher. One year she logged all the hours she put in for the year. That year she made less than the minimum wage. She cared about the kids, not the money.

My wife is the same way. She is on her 14th year of teaching and loves it. She knew from a very early age that this was her calling. So much so that when she was a little girl, she would come home from school and get her stuffed animals arranged on her bed and play school.

She works late nearly every day and only takes off 3 weeks during the summer. The rest of the time she is either looking for classes to take to help her be a better teacher or working in her classroom planning with her grade level workmates for the next school year.

She is the single most dedicated worker, in any field, I have ever know.

pr_capone 12-21-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9230528)
F em. They only work 180 days out of the year.

Add in snow days and other school holidays and they have it made in the shade...

You don't know any teachers... do you?

That 180 days bullshit is the biggest lie you will ever be told. My wife works longer hours and more weekends, willingly and for no additional pay, than anyone I know. She takes 3 weeks off per year and the rest of the time she is working on personal development so that she be a better and more effective educator.

Any teacher out there that does nothing but the bare minimum... is guaranteed a super shitty teacher.

El Jefe 12-21-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9230559)

I just read the first couple and figured it could get out of hand lol.