ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers Tech Suppppooooorrrrt! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274897)

tooge 07-29-2013 11:15 AM

Tech Suppppooooorrrrt!

So, normally, when I hit the internet explorer icon on my desktop, my internet opens with google with the search bar right under whatever daily google picture they have.

Today, its blank. "google" is at the very top (task bar?) very small, but I cant search anything. In fact, I tried going over to yahoo search, and I can search there, but whatever I pull up doesn't open the page, or at least I can't see it, but I can see the site in a little box to the right of the address box. What the hell did I push?
thanks guys

The Franchise 07-29-2013 11:15 AM

Solution: Stop using Internet Explorer and download a real browser.

Problem solved.

Dave Lane 07-29-2013 11:17 AM

Seconded. Internet Exploder is for idiots.

Imon Yourside 07-29-2013 11:18 AM

Download and Install FireFox

Profit.

LoneWolf 07-29-2013 11:19 AM

Google Chrome, FTMFW.

Ace Gunner 07-29-2013 11:21 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaanything but IE

Ace Gunner 07-29-2013 11:23 AM

oh, and your IE prefs are lost foreeeeeeeeeeeeevar

Bearcat 07-29-2013 11:32 AM

A screenshot might help.

And firefox. Has anyone mentioned firefox?

rageeumr 07-29-2013 11:32 AM

I use Chrome, mostly because my machine just doesn't seem to like Firefox very much. It tends to freeze for seemingly no reason. I could probably fix it if I was really motivated, but I'd rather just be lazy and use Chrome.

That being said, I have had 2 different computer guys that I trust (like directors of IT at 100+ employee companies) tell me that if your network security is adequate, IE is actually the best performing browser in nearly every measurable metric. And I have seen studies recently that say the most recent version of IE is more secure than Firefox "out of the box."

Imon Yourside 07-29-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9842786)
I use Chrome, mostly because my machine just doesn't seem to like Firefox very much. It tends to freeze for seemingly no reason. I could probably fix it if I was really motivated, but I'd rather just be lazy and use Chrome.

That being said, I have had 2 different computer guys that I trust (like directors of IT at 100+ employee companies) tell me that if your network security is adequate, IE is actually the best performing browser in nearly every measurable metric. And I have seen studies recently that say the most recent version of IE is more secure than Firefox "out of the box."

IE goes down more than an old broad.

Bearcat 07-29-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9842786)

I should probably give up on FF and go to Chrome... FF is becoming more and more bloated, the "OMG you're using an outdated version of Flash so we're going to keep disabling it on every website you visit until you update" feature is really annoying, and the new Google maps doesn't play well with FF at all.

I've heard the same things about IE as far as the metrics, but my experience has been quite different.

Imon Yourside 07-29-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9842793)
I should probably give up on FF and go to Chrome... FF is becoming more and more bloated, the "OMG you're using an outdated version of Flash so we're going to keep disabling it on every website you visit until you update" feature is really annoying, and the new Google maps doesn't play well with FF at all.

I've heard the same things about IE as far as the metrics, but my experience has been quite different.

Love the Firefox, The most customizable experience ever, and I love the adblock capability. I also can't remember the last time it crashed, I don't think it ever has.

rageeumr 07-29-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

I haven't really used it with any kind of consistency since about IE6, but I tend to agree. I'll occasionally pop it open because of a site that doesn't seem to want to work on Chrome or FF and can't say I've ever been impressed.

I actually heard an IT guy in my building say over the phone "Chrome is trash. Uninstall that crap and use IE". Confused the hell out of me.

ozarkchief 07-29-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

I made the switch to Chrome just recently because of the problems Firefox was having with any Flash-based site. I loved the Firefox for years and years, but I couldn't deal with the daily multiple crashes. It was a sad day when I made the switch, but I haven't looked back. It took a while to adjust to the different search functionality (via the address bar), but I really like having the ability to install Chrome on any computer, log in, and then have Chrome automatically import my bookmarks and settings. It also seems faster than Firefox.

I would recommend adding Ad-Block as well...It's really nice not having to deal with the plethora of annoying ads.

Fish 07-29-2013 12:28 PM

Tooge, post a screenshot or something. Can't tell what the hell you're talking about..